ketel1and7

Suggestions on a new .45 ACP handgun?

Hey guys,

I'm a new member and posting my first question!

I have a spare Handgun permit and I'm looking to put it to good use. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should get and who better to ask then this great forum?

I currently have a Sig Target 1911 and a High Standard .22

My wife has a Sig P229 9mm and a Colt 1908.

So currently, I have to stock 4 different calibers of ammo when I want to shoot all four pistols. I was considering getting a .357 but that would be yet a 5th type of ammo (not even including rifles and shotguns).

I'm thinking about getting another handgun that shoots .45 ACP since I'm not a huge fan of 9mm and have no "need" for another .22.

Any suggestions? I hear good things about the S&W 625.

Budget is under 1K.

Use is for HD Backup and fun

Thanks in advance!

David

Absolutely - 625's are wonderful guns. You can't do any better. Here are two of mine...

14cup1v.jpg

o8ch36.jpg

Top one is a 5" 625-2 (Model of 1988), and the bottom is a 625-8 Performance Center converted to DAO

You cannot go wrong with a 625. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Normally I would suggest the PX4 Storm SD in .45ACP since... well the PX4 is awesome. But...

I will admit that the Springfield XDs is a genuinely fascinating handgun. With the extended magazine, you have have enough for HD and with the small magazine, you have a good carry package. I would genuinely consider this for my next gun.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Pizza Bob, I'm really digging those 625s. The Model of 1988 in particular. I'm on the fence on what barrel size I would get but that 5" looks sweet.

Is it true the revolvers are easier to maintain or that just crap? I'm not opposed to another Semi-Auto like the ones blksheep suggested but there's some allure of owning a revolver. Can't explain it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Pizza Bob, I'm really digging those 625s. The Model of 1988 in particular. I'm on the fence on what barrel size I would get but that 5" looks sweet.

Is it true the revolvers are easier to maintain or that just crap? I'm not opposed to another Semi-Auto like the ones blksheep suggested but there's some allure of owning a revolver. Can't explain it.

I don't know that they are any less, or any more trouble to maintain than a semi-auto. Less to lube, but 6 chambers to clean as well as a barrel - it's a wash.

Good luck on finding a 1988 - kind of rare, but they're out there. New 625's today are either of the 625JM variety or the 625PC - both with 4" barrels. There were other 5" 625's - just got to keep looking. The ones that bring a premium are the 3" 625's.

What's the appeal? They're old school. To me they're what I grew-up shooting. The only semi-auto I owned for years was a 1911. There is nothing like a big-bore N-frame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Normally I would suggest the PX4 Storm SD in .45ACP since... well the PX4 is awesome. But...

I will admit that the Springfield XDs is a genuinely fascinating handgun. With the extended magazine, you have have enough for HD and with the small magazine, you have a good carry package. I would genuinely consider this for my next gun.

OP, I have a PX4 in 45 (4 inch barrel)...Excellent for HD, very reliable, lots of safty features - BUT if you tend to compete you need something with a longer barrel to give you an edge after 50 yards or so...Look into XDline - I have an XDs and it is awsome (carry gun not comp), and an XD-Comp on lay-away (5.25" barre)...On the revolver, it (is) nice to have one. My one is a 44m 629 - a true hand connon & very accurate...

I would reconsider adding another caliber and look at some .357's. Of all my handguns, the .357 puts the biggest smile on my face when I shoot it. I have a GP100 now and will absolutely be looking for a S&W .357 on my next round of permits. Also, you open yourself up to potential good deals on both .357 mag and .38 special ammo. In these times it pays to have as many options as possible.

Smith and Wesson 45c or another 1911 as you really can't have too many.

Or, a Baby Eagle.

Or, and XDs.

Or, a Glock.

Or, a 525JM

Or, a... Oh, you get it I'm sure. Good luck.

C

I just saw today that kittery trading co has some P345s in stock. A lot of people love those (Mas Ayoub, for instance) and they're discontinued, so might be your last shot at a new one.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a .357 revolver. If I could only have one gun, it'd be my GP100.

M&P 45 would be my choice, or a new Glock 30S. On a budget! Check out a Stoeger 8045. S&W Governor might be versatile, too, but I cannot say I wouldn't want a 625.

Hey guys,

I'm a new member and posting my first question!

I have a spare Handgun permit and I'm looking to put it to good use. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should get and who better to ask then this great forum?

I currently have a Sig Target 1911 and a High Standard .22

My wife has a Sig P229 9mm and a Colt 1908.

So currently, I have to stock 4 different calibers of ammo when I want to shoot all four pistols. I was considering getting a .357 but that would be yet a 5th type of ammo (not even including rifles and shotguns).

I'm thinking about getting another handgun that shoots .45 ACP since I'm not a huge fan of 9mm and have no "need" for another .22.

Any suggestions? I hear good things about the S&W 625.

Budget is under 1K.

Use is for HD Backup and fun

Thanks in advance!

David

Here is my vote... I paid $491.00 in 2011.

post-2785-0-76427700-1363819083_thumb.jpg

http://www.usacarry....-45-acp-pistol/

What is the recoil like on the 625 ? I own a 1911 is it about the same? Around a 4 inch barrel ?

I have one more permit to burn and want to add a revolver to the collection.

Like a pussycat

One thing I learned from this shortage is the value of diversifying. I thought it was a good thing to have only 2 calibers. When my permits come in I will change that.

this is so true! some thought I was crazy for getting a gun in each caliber .380, 9mm, 40 cal., 357 mag, 45 acp, 10mm. got rid of .380 but glad I kept the other calibers even though I don't shoot them all, all the time, but it's good to know I have it If I need it, my fnh fnp 45 is my safe queen.. one caliber I always wanted but haven't gotten yet is 44 mag, pizza bob I'm sure you have a nice one right?

What is the recoil like on the 625 ? I own a 1911 is it about the same? Around a 4 inch barrel ?

I have one more permit to burn and want to add a revolver to the collection.

Depends on the load, do you reload? if so you can download them to practically nothing.