TheSingularity

So... are you a "handgun guy" or a "long gun guy", and why?

After 44 years behind the triggers, I'm a Shootist. Garands to Barretts to Black Powder and back. If it goes BANG I either own it, shoot it or have a friend that does both. From USPSA to Over-the-Log Black Powder precision Shoots. My Club has so many opportunities it's hard to pick just one to be involved with since everyone is so nice & welcoming at EVERY event!

I can fit MORE handguns in safe than long guns. That is why I am a "handgun guy".

Sent from my DROID4

LOL.... you have an entire gun shop to store your guns. When the zombies come I'll be banging on your door for protection.

I'm definately in the minority here, being a pistol guy, with a strong preference for semi auto's. I have zero interest in wheel guns.

I do enjoy shooting steel with my sig 522, but beyond that I have no use really for long guns. The thought of standing on a firing line trying to hit a target at 100 yards or longer is torture to me. I like running and gunning USPSA style, or the speed on steel stuff.

However, when I do admire long guns, I go scary black all the way. The only wood guns I like are shotguns, and I do like to shoot skeet and trap.

My 15 y/o...polar opposite. Likes revolvers and is happiest rocking his Henry Lever gun at steel.

I was always a long gun guy for over 40 years I enjoyed shooting long guns. To give you some idea, when I moved to Florida 3 years ago I had 3 handguns and 28 long guns. Having carried both a handgun and rifle in combat, I definitely took a liking to a rifle as the proper tool for defense and more fun to shoot. However there are no rifle/shotgun ranges within a reasonable driving distance here so no place to shoot as much as I would want to. The only thing they have are indoor 50 yard lanes for sighting in your hunting rifle and those are only available by appointment only on Saturdays.

Then I got my concealed carry license and my focus naturally shifted to handguns because that is what I carried daily. The rifles and shotguns sitting in my safe collecting dust were sad looking and I found them better homes. I have no fantasies about end of the world or anything that would require a rifle so I will not keep one unless I could shoot it regularly. Heck, I have homes so close to me that my neighbor needs to walk on my driveway to get to his backyard. The furthest I can see is one block which is less than 100 yards. I live in a community of 100,000+ retired people with our own emergency shelters and support groups. No mountains to head to in Florida and I am not near any swamps. The only place I can head to in an emergency is Daytona Beach. :) So I now just concentrate on carry guns. I have some sub compacts, compacts and full sized guns that fit any occasion or dress style. I went a little nuts when I moved here since I was not much of a handgun guy and really did not know what was out there other than guns I used in competition. I bought about 30 handguns to find the 8 I know use for HD and carry. It was fun and expensive. I am still paying off guns I no longer own but I got to shoot everything I wanted to shoot and experience is priceless.

As I currently wait for my FID, my first is going to be a long gun, specifically a Yugo Mauser, since I'm under 21. Since we can't carry in NJ, I'd probably limit the number of handguns I'd get. Why not get more bang for your buck, literally, and put your money into larger caliber firearms ;-)

I too am waiting for my FID and permits but they should be in any day now according to my pd. I am getting 4 permits so that should hold me over on pistols for a while and some fun shopping ahead the next 6 months. I do plan to get some long guns as well. I will be strictly a recreational shooter to start off. I do not hunt so I will be a range and target shooter for the most part. I have no idea on what long gun to get for my needs but have heard that a 10/22 rifle and a shotgun is a must in every collection. I know nothing about AR's and those seem to be very complicated to purchase and build. I am sure I will get a better understanding with time and maybe add one of those as well. Look for some more good advice from forum members in the future.