Sign in to follow this  
awynne56

new to the forum and guns

Hi from the shore area,

Joined about a month ago but didnt really wanna say anything till I had permits in hand. I'm ex-army. Served 89-92 little to no small arms trainng. Ive found a ton of info on here and I'm sure I'll find more. Just bought a dan wesson herritage older model with very few rounds put through. Its professial cleaned and stored before it was put away. Anything I should do before firing it? I was wondering what kind/brand ammoI should steer away from. And where can I pick up ammo best price. I was looking at range 14 but dont really understand the pricing. Is it 60 to be a member then lets say 7 per hour?

Thanks for the all the help

Im new as well but have been into firearms for sometime now. What i would recommend is to go over the gun yourself. Wipe down all moving mechanics. Even tho it was cleaned and stored, lube acts like a collector. Every bit of dust, grit gets caught in it. So, a nice cleaning wouldnt hurt.

Thanks for all the welcomes. And the advice 2ANJ

Not a problem. Enjoy and if you need to know the take down of your gun try youtube there is tons of great vids on how to properly take apart a firearm and what you should and shouldnt add lubricant to.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your service.

Field strip the gun, clean the gun, and oil any parts that rub, slide rails, top of barrel/locking lugs. Clean the inside of magazines.

Hoppes is a great all around cleaner.

Welcome.

Range 14 is a $60 per year ( from date of purchase ) membership. You can bring 3 or 4 guests depending where you are shooting. I believe the hourly rate is $4/ person for member and each guest. Active military, retired, national guard etc. are $30/ yr.

http://www.range-14.com/member.html

Maksim thanks for the advice, also what is your afilliation with CJRPC, I'd relly lke some insight .. Maximus, thanks I guess I was alitte confused. So someone has to be a member (ie have paid the 60 or 30 membership fee, then the ranges cost a small few per hour per person).

thanks again for the warm welcome..

Welcome

We were in during the same time frame. Was a Radio Op for the 559th Field Artillery Group in Italy. Thanks for your service!

Yes you've got the idea of how Range 14 works. They should for 20 mikes and then a 10 mikes cease fire, so your 1 hours is actually only 40 mikes of shooting time, at least at the rifle range. With enough notice I could meet you there on either a Sat or Sun.

Tj 4 the boxers. Thanks and thanks for your service too. 2nd armored 1-92 FA. MRLS during shield and storm then got disbanded and had to cross over to the 1CAV 1/21. Def will take you up on that, once I get my bearings.

Thanks for all the good advice

Andy