71ragtopgoat

What 22 pistol should I buy

I have one permit left . I really don't know what to use it on so I decided a 22 pistol would be nice to have since under normal times the ammo is cheap. I'm thinking along a SR22 or M&P 22.

The Walther is out as it has poor reviews. Any other brands in this profile of gun I am missing?

Any leads on a used one for sale would be great as well.

Thanks for helping

Eddie

SR22 is a bit smaller than the M&P 22. I tried the Ruger, didn't care for the size, bought the M&P and had a really good time with it for a few thousand rounds. Accuracy and reliability were good enough for plinking and steel matches. I eventually sold it and bought the Sig 1911-22, bigger, heavier, feels more like a real gun. Accuracy and reliability has been about the same as the M&P.

ive heard way more good things about the m&p22 than about the SR22.. Sivl, sound like you got one with bum sights on it.. ive heard many others, including professional reviewers, say that the m&p22 is one of the best semi 22's out there (leaving aside the Rugers, which are a different breed to me)..

ive also heard decent things about the GSG 1911-22

i have an m&p22 and love it, only thing is it doesnt like the cheap .22 ammo. minimags and the good federal bulk (blue box) runs perfectly in it. mags are hard to find and bit expensive as everything is in these times. however i was able to get mags from TJs sporting arms when he had them a few weeks back for 32 a piece so i bought 5. I love the full size feeling and its failry easy to clean and strip down (unlike the MKs).

Do you want to stay with dedicated 22 or are you open for options? If you get a Sig p226 classic 22lr, at a later date you can purchase the X-Change kit in 9mm, 357sig, or 40 cal. Best part is no permit required to get the kits....just a thought.

I have the sr22. I like it but had a couple issues (I think it was more ammo related than gun related). I tried to like the m&p but I can't stand the grip on that whole line of pistols. The Ruger fits me way better even though its fairly small.

Beretta Neos - strange looking but fun!

I agree that the Neos is worth looking into. My buddy recently got one and if you can get over the Star Trek phaser gun looks, it's a hoot to shoot. It's very reliable and it eats just about any ammo he puts in it, from what he tells me.

I own the M&P 22 and I think it's a very good pistol. Everyone that I've let shoot it, loves it too. It's eaten all the ammo that I've put through it without any failures (From CCI Mini-Mags through cheap bulk pack ammo). My sights were off just a little when I got it new, but that was VERY easily fixed as the sights are adjustable. The pistol comes with the allen keys to adjust the sights your self, so it's a piece of cake.

I haven't shot the SR22, but the grip on the thing looks friggin puny. If you have hands the size of a 5 year old girl, I'd say check out the SR22. I've also heard quite a few complaints about them from a couple of people that I talked to that owned them. The top complaints I heard were they were very picky with ammo and would experience FTE's with them and also the small grip.

EDIT: Not sure what your budget is, OP.... but if I were you, I'd skip all the above and just head right to a Ruger Mark III or 22/45, if you can find one. They are AWESOME. I have the Mark III Hunter and just love the damn thing.

I have a few .22's and my favorite is the Sig/GSG 1911. I also have a Ruger 22/45 that is a tack driver. I think it really depends on what you want to do with it. I will use the 1911 .22 for obrams and plinking and the Ruger is when I want to be precise and me and my kids are playing battleship targets or dart targets. The Ruger is new and I am amazed at how accurate the gun is, it also looks great. I have the stainless upper with black poly lower.

I tried to like the m&p but I can't stand the grip on that whole line of pistols.

Wow, that's something that you don't hear often from people... The M&P has some of the most ergonomic grips that you can find on a modern pistol. That is one of the reasons why people tend to gravitate towards them. Just curious... do you have very small hands?

Wow, that's something that you don't hear often from people... The M&P has some of the most ergonomic grips that you can find on a modern pistol. That is one of the reasons why people tend to gravitate towards them. Just curious... do you have very small hands?

No not really. I mean they're not bear paws but I can palm a regulation sized basketball. I also have no problems with my full sized 1911(which grip angle i love) or m9

No not really. I mean they're not bear paws but I can palm a regulation sized basketball. I also have no problems with my full sized 1911(which grip angle i love) or m9

Interesting... But hey, it's all personal preference... what's comfortable for one, is not for another person.

I have a ok budget depending weather I like the gun really. A 1911 type 22 sounds good as I love my kimber.

I'm open to all except funky looking type guns so the star ttrekthing is out.LOL

If you already have a Kimber go with an Advantage Arms Conversion kit.

We vote for the M&P 22. My wife owns one, loves it, and I like to shoot it too. It's an M&P in the most affordable caliber. (Well, assuming you can find 22LR.)

One note: the internals and field strip are completely different from any other M&P model. Just to set your expectations.

Nevertheless, a great 22.

I love the Ruger .22 guns. The only thing I hate is the takedown. Seems like a lot can go wrong when reassembling or something can break.

Im also thinking of getting a .22 pistol in a month or so. Having fun shopping around so far.

I love the Ruger .22 guns. The only thing I hate is the takedown. Seems like a lot can go wrong when reassembling or something can break.

Im also thinking of getting a .22 pistol in a month or so. Having fun shopping around so far.

I'm assuming you mean the mark series? Cause the sr22 is very straightforward.