matty

ALERT!!!! APRIL 30th SENATE HEARING AT NOON not 10AM See SLP comte page

Can someone please link to the actual bills in their most current form? It's hard to have an informed opinion without sources.

Click here: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/BillsForAgendaView.asp

Click on the bill you want to read, then open the HTML for the final bill

I just emailed this one to the members of the Law and Public Safety committee.

Dear Senators Norcross, Greenstein, Bateman, Holzapfel and Sacco,

I am a Hoboken Democrat. I ask you to oppose the egregious gun bills before the Law and Public Safety Committee, like S2476 and S2485.

Senator Weinberg's S2476, and matching bills A3645/A3646/A3666/A3750, are wrongheaded and will not reduce crime. NJ already require Firearm ID for handgun ammunition purchases, in-store or online. Criminals use handguns, and they buy handgun ammo illegally or out-of-state.

90% of NJ will not remember S2476.

The 10% that will remember are the 1 million gun owners.

Every time we buy a pack of ammo, we will talk about the online ban.

We will talk about how we used to target shoot, but we are banned from buying the competition ammo available only online.

We will talk about people who voted for the ban: when I go to vote for Mayor of Hoboken in November, I will remember Ruben Ramos voted to ban my rights.

If S2476 passes, we 10% will be reminded of your names with every pack of ammo.

S2485 has good intentions, but is ludicrous at state-level.

According to Congressional Research Service, "Since February 2004, information related to the subjects of NICS-generated terrorist watchlist hits have been passed on to the FBI Counterterrorism Division and special agents in the field, who are usually members of Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs). These FBI agents, in turn, verify the match between the individual and the watchlist record..." (1)

FBI Terrorist Screening Database records are secret and not revealed. (2)

FBI agents can get the watchlist record, NJ LEOs can only get list of names.

FBI agents can match individuals to the watchlist record, NJ LEOs can only match by name.

FBI agents can determine Senator Edward Kennedy is not Terrorist Edward Kennedy, NJ LEOs cannot.

FBI has annual budget of over $8 billion, and FBI NICS can work out appeals and due process.

S2485 is a waste of NJ LE resources, doing a half-baked job duplicating FBI's work.

At national level I support Toomey-Manchin, the Coburn Online Portal, the Graham NICS Improvement, the Leahy-Collins Trafficking Act, the Boxer School Safety, and the Lautenberg Terrorist Act, the federal version of S2485.

At State level I strongly support S2492 and A1613/A3583. When NRA, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Brady and Americans for Responsible Solutions all share common ground on NICS improvement and safer schools, there is no political downside.

NJ has 1 million gun owners. We are middle and upper class with discretionary income. We vote. We take time off work to attend Assembly and Senate sessions. We are responsible gun owners against all violence. We do not support wrongheaded measures, like S2476 and S2485, which do not prevent crime, punish law abiding citizens, suck the oxygen out of the room and make moderation difficult.

(1) http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/terror/R42336.pdf, page 2.

(2) http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc/tsc_faqs

Here are two model letters. My opinion is that, rather than focusing on our rights or the Constitution, we should focus on practical matters. It's been made abundantly clear that they don't give a rat's ass about principles.

I would like to express my objection to bills A3645, A3646, A3666, A3750, and S2476, all of which would require all ammunition sales to occur face to face. These bills are overly restrictive to legitimate buyers, while providing no impediment to illegal purchases.

In fact, online purchases create GREATER accountability than face to face. In addition to an ID, the user must provide a credit card and physical address. If this is not enough, an FPIC could also be required, as many vendors voluntarily do. As a model piece of legislation, here is what Illinois, a very restrictive state, mandates.

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑3)

Sec. 3.

(b‑5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person outside of Illinois. Any resident purchasing ammunition outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.

Eliminating online sales imposes a significant burden. There are thousands of types of ammunition, most of which are not available in physical stores. With a dwindling number of gun stores, driving to one can entail a very long trip, and this can’t even be combined with a trip to the range, because any deviation between home and the range, even to buy ammunition, makes the driver a felon.

Let’s be realistic, anyone with the wherewithal to obtain an illegal gun probably obtained a side order of ammunition to go with that gun. And rather than navigate through the four levels of security outlined above, it would be much easier to just make a quick drive over to PA or DE, walk into a gun store, and pay cash, without showing ID.

I know that in this environment, it is politically expedient to pass laws imposing arbitrary hardship on gun owners. I would ask that ideally, this bill would be seen for what it is and stopped. If such symbolic legislation must go through, please at least try to minimize the unnecessary burden on lawful citizens.

Thank you.

I am writing to express my opposition to bill A3772, which would require a new design for firearm purchase ID cards (FPIC.) The bill would require that all current holders reapply for the new card within two years of passage and then reapply every five years thereafter.

Under the current law, the card is valid unless a holder becomes ineligible, in which case it must be surrendered. Even if it is illegally kept, the card number is flagged, so that if it is used in an attempted purchase, the card will not match a valid card at the time of the point of sale, and the purchaser will be arrested. For the same reason, a counterfeit card is useless, since the name and number will not match a valid card in the database. Using someone else’s card also doesn’t work, as a matching photo ID must be presented with the card. Finally, as a fail safe, every purchaser must undergo an instant background check at the point of sale.I am unaware of any case in which a counterfeit card has been used. The current system works perfectly.

Police departments across the state are heavily strained in keeping up with just the initial applications and are usually unable to process applications within the statutorily mandated 30 day time frame.

Under the current bill, a "renewal" has all the requirements of a full application. With approximately 1 million FPIC holders in the state, the constant reapplications will be a logistical and financial nightmare, both for police departments and individual FPIC holders.

This bill is more about burnishing the anti-violence credentials of the sponsors than about improving public safety. This is inadequate reason to burden a million lawful gun owners. If you have any questions or would like to discuss further, please feel free to email me at

Sincerely,

Click here: http://www.njleg.sta...rAgendaView.asp

Click on the bill you want to read, then open the HTML for the final bill

I think the two biggies here are the rash of overlapping bills banning internet ammo sales and the one that requires FID renewal every five years. Should allow time for lively discussion.

Unconstitutional as it is, I'm sure no one's going to vote against or veto the the Terrorist Watch List one. It's probably also symbolic, as I suspect the feds will laugh if individual PDs start trying to access the watch list, and pro-2A politicians at the federal level may even pass legislation prohibiting them from doing so.

I'm focusing my efforts on the two above.

I also emailed Majority Leader Sweeney.

Of the 6 recipients, I got 1 reply. Senator Linda Greenstein. A form response, but better than nothing, and not terrible considering I explicitly conceded I am not a resident of her district.

Thank you for taking the time to express your opposition to potentially stronger gun control measures that may come before us in the Legislature.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated, and I will take your viewpoints into consideration along with those of other constituents when formulating my decision. 

Again, thank you for reaching out and sharing your position on the gun control/gun rights issue.

Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.

Sincerely,

Senator Linda R. Greenstein

14th Legislative District  

has the bus schedule changed....are they still leaving at 7, for the hearing at 12? are they still returning at 3? im sure it wont be done by 3, cutting off lots of people

see that's why I hesitate

I want to sign up for a bus

but the Senate keeps changing what meetings and when.

Can't figure it's been easy for anyone making plans.

so I figure maybe I should just drive myself down.

May 2nd Agenda Posted

Bill Abstract Current Status LDOA

A3659 Weapons, cert.-destructive definition

A3668 Assault firearm manuf-St investment proh

A3788 Firearms records-abolish right of access

A3797 Firearms-concerns seized and recovered

S2178 Weapons, cert.-destructive definition

S2467 Firearms manf.-proh. St. investment

S2471 Assault firearm manuf-St investment proh

S2552 Firearms records-abolish right of access

S2715 Media viol.-concerns child's exposure

S2718 Firearms-concerns reporting of info.

S2719 Firearms offenses-enhance penal.

S2720 Firearms records-concerns

S2721 Firearms, cert.-concerns transporting

S2735 Large capacity magazines-concerns

S2552, S2721 and S2735 look promising.

S2178/A3659 is the 50 cal ban, with no grandfathering.

S2552 Codifies regulation exempting firearms records from State's open public records law; abolishes common law right of access to these records.

Law and Public Safety

S2715 Requires DOE to prepare and distribute informational pamphlets on how parents can limit a child's exposure to media violence.

Law and Public Safety

S2718 Requires collection and reporting of certain firearms information to interjurisdictional databases; requires information relating to crime of firearms trafficking be included in annual Uniform Crime Report.

S2719 Enhances penalties for certain firearms offenses.

S2720 - Clarifies that information concerning the total number of firearms purchaser identification cards and permits to purchasing a handgun issued in a municipality are public records.

S2721 - Clarifies definition of reasonably necessary deviation when legally transporting firearm or weapon in motor vehicle.

S2735 - Excludes .22 caliber tubular magazines from large capacity ammunition magazine definition, Jeff Van Drew

What the hell happened to just 12 bills getting through?

The 50-cal is no bueno.

But I don't have much of a problem with the rest of the bills. Putting politics in investments is stupid: even Bloomberg said so. But if they want to legislatively short a market sector, wtf do I care.

I would certainly like to take a look at Jeff Van Drew's bills, and show up to support them. Many times I'm lugging around single-shot 22 rimfire rifles in a locked case, and I'm still concerned if I have to stop for gas.

S2552, S2721 and S2735 look promising.

S2735 - Excludes .22 caliber tubular magazines from large capacity ammunition magazine definition, Jeff Van Drew

Seriously? .22cal tub magazines?? woop-dee-fukking-do!!!! My Winchester 1873 that holds 12 rounds will be contraband!!!

Seriously? .22cal tub magazines?? woop-dee-fukking-do!!!! My Winchester 1873 that holds 12 rounds will be contraband!!!

Interesting. We'll see what the bill actually says.

Anyways, bills with no overlap between Senate and Assembly, like S2721 and S2735, not likely to go anywhere.

Guys,

I was at the Ridgewood Rally and I can tell you that Weinberg made us out to sound like Baby killers and the next al qaeda. Do not take this jokingly. She and her folks hate us. one of her supporters told a room full 200+ people that we are driven and motivated by fear and by fantasies of over throwing the government. Everyone single person in there agreed. One of her supporters Joesph Chuman stated that we fear home invasions and a rapist that may come for our wife or daughter. The sickest part is that every women in that room agreed with him. What normal human being especially a woman would not worry about this? Yet every woman in that room applauded him. Every women, husband and father in NJ should be in Trenton on these dates. This is bigger than the 2nd. This is about out rights and the rights of our children.

Guys,

I was at the Ridgewood Rally and I can tell you that Weinberg made us out to sound like Baby killers and the next al qaeda. Do not take this jokingly. She and her folks hate us. one of her supporters told a room full 200+ people that we are driven and motivated by fear and by fantasies of over throwing the government. Everyone single person in there agreed. One of her supporters Joesph Chuman stated that we fear home invasions and a rapist that may come for our wife or daughter. The sickest part is that every women in that room agreed with him. What normal human being especially a woman would not worry about this? Yet every woman in that room applauded him. Every women, husband and father in NJ should be in Trenton on these dates. This is bigger than the 2nd. This is about out rights and the rights of our children.

They have two buses going. They note that the "NRA" will be there in force. http://www.bergengunviolenceprevention.com/index.html

According to the registration website for Loretta Weinberg 2 buses to Trenton, there are currently 37 spots remaining on the bus from Teaneck and 44 spots remaining on the bus from Ridgewood. (1) That's good news and (2) If you're in that area, and need a ride to Trenton, seats are available thanks to Senator Weinberg.

I'm driving to Trenton on the 30th. I've was in Trenton on a class field trip 34 years ago but I don't really remember where to park. Any suggestions on where to park, how to get to the hearing, etc. I don't mind walking several blocks. I'm just not familiar with the area at all.

thanks.

I'm driving to Trenton on the 30th. I've was in Trenton on a class field trip 34 years ago but I don't really remember where to park. Any suggestions on where to park, how to get to the hearing, etc. I don't mind walking several blocks. I'm just not familiar with the area at all.

thanks.

If I understand the event correctly, this is official business of the state and you can consequently use the State House parking garage. I've made up a little mini-map for reference.

oh5iTX1.jpg

If you can get to West State Street, follow the red trail around the back of the State House to get to the parking garage security booth (the yellow star). Inform the guard that you are there to attend the Senate hearings and the should allow you to proceed (again, provided I understand the event correctly). The garage is under the State House Annex (circled in blue). Take the elevators up and there should be people to direct you.

There will be metal detectors, so be conscious of what you have on your person.

The details of the event have been explained poorly and there are several things I don't understand:

• Is this a rally that will be occurring outside or is this state business that I will be sitting at?
  • Do I need a prepared statement if I attend the hearing?

To the NJ2AS,

I know why I should be there. That's why I'm going. You're preaching to the choir. What I need is a concise logistical explanation of what's actually going on. Can I use the State House parking? Will we be outside? What should I bring? How long are we expected to be there?

....To the NJ2AS,

I know why I should be there. That's why I'm going. You're preaching to the choir. What I need is a concise logistical explanation of what's actually going on. Can I use the State House parking? Will we be outside? What should I bring? How long are we expected to be there?

Yes, this would help a lot.