Teky0101

Really Low Budget Pistol

Hello Everyone,

My birthday is coming up and I hope to get a some money to purchase a pistol. I already put in for the permit last week so I hope to get it within a month or so. Does anyone know of a budget fun range pistol for around $200-$250? I was thinking about purchasing a North American Arms but is there other options besides .22's in this price range?

tokarev awesome gun and ammo isnt that crazy expensive, also if you get a norinco one you can get a 9mm barrel as well and shoot both 7.62x25 and 9mm out of the same gun. I have one and love it

Take a look at the American-made Lifetime Guaranteed Hi-Point .45acp.

Right around the $200 mark brand new.

9+1 capacity

Heavy like a brick (definitely not a CCW piece!)

Uses the same mags as the .45acp Carbine from the same folks.

SJSC members who want to fire mine to check it out, contact me by IM

Look around for a used S&W Model 10. Doesn't command the higher prices as most don't consider them sexy and there are plenty out there. Your budget will get you a 4" heavy barrel with a decent finish in good mechanical condition. Look for a private sale and you might find one for $100 as I did last summer. No I didn't steal it from Grandma the guy was just looking to get rid of it. Order of rarity (which affects price) is 4" heavy barrel, 4" pencil barrel, 3", 2", 6", and 5" (some will argue).

I have had the chance to shoot a Hi Point and would recommend it. I have a 5906 (S&W) that I got for a good price, it's a nice gun also. Take your time and keep looking and you will find something.

Look around for a used S&W Model 10. Doesn't command the higher prices as most don't consider them sexy and there are plenty out there. Your budget will get you a 4" heavy barrel with a decent finish in good mechanical condition. Look for a private sale and you might find one for $100 as I did last summer. No I didn't steal it from Grandma the guy was just looking to get rid of it. Order of rarity (which affects price) is 4" heavy barrel, 4" pencil barrel, 3", 2", 6", and 5" (some will argue).

Buds has some in both 3 and 4 inch barrels for I believe$350.00 shipped just yesterday.

Buds has some in both 3 and 4 inch barrels for I believe$350.00 shipped just yesterday.

you can find sw 64-5's for sub 300 on auction sites

Not bad prices but if you seek out a private sale you can get below $250 and closer if not below $200.

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions! I really liked the S&W 64-5 & Tokarev. I own a Hi-point carbine and they are very accurate! However, the pistols are just really ugly but it does not mean they are bad shooters. Does anyone know of any shops in SJ with a good selection of gun and good prices? Thank you everyone for your help!

Tokarev and CZ82 get my vote. I have both and love both. I can shoot on par with my $1,100 S&W 1911 pro with my tokarev and surplus ammo. about 4" offhand at 25 yards on a good day.

I also have a CZ-70 I bought for $135 OTD including tax & NICS and a spare mag...it really is a gem. .32ACP, photo below from 25 yards. Some distributors carry them and they can be ordered by certain FFLs (like me!) but the price will be somewhere in the mid 200's out the door now probably

32target.jpg

Don't do it, I posted about the same situation as you are in, wanting a low priced handgun. You probably won't be happy with it and then you will have to sell it in a couple months. Get the one you really want, example I wanted a revolver that was affordable like a model 10 because it was affordable and the same price range around $300 but that's not what I really wanted. So I coughed up more and got the one I want a model 19.

Hello Everyone,

My birthday is coming up and I hope to get a some money to purchase a pistol. I already put in for the permit last week so I hope to get it within a month or so. Does anyone know of a budget fun range pistol for around $200-$250? I was thinking about purchasing a North American Arms but is there other options besides .22's in this price range?

The NAA mini revolvers is far from a fun range pistol. Aside from it being hard to control and more suitable for hitting very close big targets, you have to disassemble it to reload and that translates into more than half your range time being spent disassembling and reassembling your gun. I thought my last student was bad with his $300 limit. Same problem and he ended up buying a small cheap gun and of course it was neither fun or suitable for range shooting so he bought a Ruger SR9 for $300. So he ended up spending a total of $550 because he had a low budget that did not meet his needs. For that money he could have got a nice Glock or M&P.

Tokarev and CZ82 get my vote. I have both and love both. I can shoot on par with my $1,100 S&W 1911 pro with my tokarev and surplus ammo. about 4" offhand at 25 yards on a good day.

I 2nd the cz-82 and will add the Polish Random P64 excellent surplus pistol still under $300.00 and 9X18 ammo can be found pretty easy on line right now. Other then that you are looking a a HI-point which arent all that bad for a range toy.

Don't do it, I posted about the same situation as you are in, wanting a low priced handgun. You probably won't be happy with it and then you will have to sell it in a couple months. Get the one you really want, example I wanted a revolver that was affordable like a model 10 because it was affordable and the same price range around $300 but that's not what I really wanted. So I coughed up more and got the one I want a model 19.

That depends where your head is at as far as amassing your collection or accumulatiom of guns. A Model 19 is sexier but is just a Model 10 in 357 with adj sights and a shrouded extractor rod. In terms of practicality a Model 10 will do anything a Model 19 will do shooting 38s. The 10 is the ultimate basic combat revolver. Everyone should have at least one.

That depends where your head is at as far as amassing your collection or accumulatiom of guns. A Model 19 is sexier but is just a Model 10 in 357 with adj sights and a shrouded extractor rod. In terms of practicality a Model 10 will do anything a Model 19 will do shooting 38s. The 10 is the ultimate basic combat revolver. Everyone should have at least one.

I don't disagree on the model 10 and everybody should have one if you like revolvers, YES!

But finding one in 357 is gonna a bit of a hard task, ain't it? Then the price?