njpilot

Any LEO Looking For A Job In America?

Just finishing up vacation in the southwest. Was in a store 2 days ago in Sedona, AZ when a girl employee commented, positively, on my Molon Labe shirt and mentioned something about her brother who was a cop. A guy overheard and thought I was a cop and said there were a good amount of retirements happening in the Sedona police dept if I was interested.

Beautiful country out there. If I were LE I'd be looking into it.

Just finishing up vacation in the southwest. Was in a store 2 days ago in Sedona, AZ when a girl employee commented, positively, on my Molon Labe shirt and mentioned something about her brother who was a cop. A guy overheard and thought I was a cop and said there were a good amount of retirements happening in the Sedona police dept if I was interested.

Beautiful country out there. If I were LE I'd be looking into it.

Hmmmmm... screw two more years of college, I need to look into this further. Thanks for the heads up!

Sedona. Beautiful country. Never hotter than 80 and never colder than sixty and never rains.

Not really. It will be in the 90s in the summer and sometimes break 100. It averages a coiple of inches of rain a month with the exception of summer. How do you think they get flash floods?

You know the saying....the grass is always greener on the other side.....

I feel very qualified to speak on a long distance move for a LE job and wind up back in NJ because I did it. Fortunately, I had a Federal job and could get myself out of there.

First, you need to consider how much you are going to spend in applying. Written test, physical, medical, and interview. That may be 4 trips. Now I know LAPD has had in the past a deal where if you were coming from out of state you can do it all in one weekend. sedona, with a population of about 10,000 is much smaller and I doubt they would accomodate you like that.

Secondly, how many LE jobs are going to be available in a town of 10,000?

It all sounds great but you need to consider your family too. What's the wife think? Be pretty much prepared to have to drive an hour or more to get to anything. I didn't live in a town and my daughter had to ride 2 hours a day in a schoolbus (really comfy in the warmer months with no AC) to go to 3 hours of kindergarten.

Not trying to rain on your parade but there is a lot to consider.

No kidding. A friend of mine told me a typical police officer in Denver, CO gets about 37k a year. That is unreal when you consider that the median salary in NJ is about 90k. Even the NYPD isn't bad, you get 46k in the academy to start and about 80k after a few years. Years ago when I was looking into it the pay was $31,305 and the strange thing was that the city was proud of that pittance. I don't mind paying LE a fair salary.

No idea about the salary, just passing on what I heard. Stopped in 2 gun shops. When asked about a range, they say "just walk out into the forest and shoot."

As Griz said, it does get hot in the summer, but you don't have the humidity we have here and it's cooler in the morning and as soon as the sun goes down it cools nicely, or so I was told. In the winter, it does get cold, but I was told when it snows, they only get about 3 inches and it's gone by noon.

About 20 miles west south west is the twin of Cottonwood. Nice town and a lot cheaper housing then Sedona.

It is beautiful out there, lots of holistic and "hippy dippy" people, as Mark said.