E2hot

Glock or Springfield XD

why only one permit?  Always go for at least three that's all my LPD will give out. Get whichever you like better or want more right now and then get the other one when your other permits come in. If you are like most of us here one pistol will not be enough!!! No matter what you think now!! When I first started i said only pistols then only pistols and one long guns, well that went out the door pretty fast!!

Had same dilemma..  had a G26 gen4 and XD-M 3.8 bi-tone in my hands, only 1 permit.  Went with the XD-M mainly because it had the stainless slide, I am sucker for stainless.  No regrets either..  the pistol is fantastic.  Not knocking the Glock, its a fine firearm that I am sure I would have been very happy with also.  Try to handle or even shoot both if possible.  Regardless of which one you get, you wont regret it. 

I went with the XD-45 Compact personally.  Couldn't justify the extra money for the XDm because you can't use it for competition (match-grade barrel) and I didn't care for the new trigger.  

I would recommend the XD but the M&P is a great shooter, and the Glock is...well it's a Glock.  You can hate it or love it but you can't deny that it shoots every time.

I love my Glock, it was my first and I couldn't live without it. That being said, I shot an XD in .40, and it was a fine pistol. The real question here is which trigger and grip do you prefer? Those were the most noticeable differences.

I rented an XD at shore shot and the grips tore up my hand and I had trouble getting good groups with my aim all over the place. Right after I shot the G19 and it felt much better and my aim was improved as well. But lastly I shot a Sig P 226 and it blew both guns away.

I'm not a Glock guy, I do own an XD compact 45, but there are couple of pros for Glock; mags are readily available and not that expensive, and there are loads of spare and replacement parts for Glocks. That being said I like the grip angle of the XD better, and I found it very accurate. I also own a SIG PRO 2022 which is a little cheaper than both of them and extremely accurate and it comes with night sights. Best of luck with your decision.

They are both great pistols. I shot both kinds before purchasing when I had the same exact decision to make as you... I ended up going with the Glock (G19 Gen4). Can't go wrong either way, just choose which one fits your hands better and you're most accurate with.

ill add a vote to anything in the xd/xdm line. i have a compact .45 xdm. wifey almost bought a glock which led me to get to try alot of 'em, still wouldnt trade my xdm for one.

that being said both are worthy choices, the xdm is just one of those fits me kind of things

An XD was my first gun but i personally regret not owning a Walther either P99 or PPQ.

+1 for the Walter P99 as. My first handgun and I shoot it regularly. The trigger is so sweet and the grip is awesome.

You still have plenty of time to get one for yourself.