brocglock23

Chiropractor thoughts.....

Chiropractors are great they adjust the most adjustable part of your body. Since they are doing fine adjustment work, it is an art more than a science. So some are hacks and some are really amazingly good. It all depends on if they have the innate ability to do it well. Think of a good Chiropractor as being like a carburetor guru or a marksman. Some have the gift to make a complicated job look natural and some dont. Some just pop backs others know just how to adjust you to make you better. Find a good one. I have been to 5 in my life and only two of them were good but those two were really really good. Modern medicine doesn't like nonstandardized personalized service that involves real skill and a bit of experienced intuition, which is why chiropractors get marginalized. Modern medicine is all about measurement and standardized procedures. Chiropractic isn't like that. Give it a shot with several chiropractors before you consider surgery.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Yep, I like mine with some granola.... Oh, yoga.... Eh..... Scratch that... ;)

Second best to chiropractor is doing yoga. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have used 3 chiropractors. my first one was top notch, even got me up and moving and virtually pain free 2 months after my motorcycle accident. the second chiro was about as usefull as tits on a bull. the one i'm currently using is almost as good as the first one I went to.

as for yoga.. I went to one session specifically oriented to back problems, I thought it was really interesting how I "adjusted" myself with the yoga movements, I would consider yoga a good supplement with chiopractic. not to mention the view can be really motivating in yoga class lol.

Yep, I like mine with some granola.... Oh, yoga.... Eh..... Scratch that... ;)

Typos courtesy Apple...

This is why you guys are old farts. Tooo close minded.

I have had no success with chiropractors but pretty good success with yoga myself.

Thank you.

Seriously, try yoga, you can even do it at home.

It builds up the core.... A lot. It is why it is on PX90 workout, and why it is also the longest at over an hour thirty.

If you do it in a gym class.... The view is priceless. There are often other guys there too, but if you are in the back...... Well worth it.

Yoga twice or three times a week will do miracles for your health, your midsection and your sex life.

I was goofing on ya you banana.... lmao... Yoga is good. Especially sight seeing... OK, back over to the yoga pants thread...

On another note, wait till you get older... ;) It's not about the exercise, it's about the pain.... some exercises cannot fix broken parts.

This is why you guys are old farts. Tooo close minded.

Everyone responds and heals different. One person may get relief, and another person may not, same condition.

The profession has evolved in a positive way, no more hocus pocus (well there shouldnt be any). Medical docs are referring alot to chiro these days.

Even pharm. reps are going into chiro offices to educate them on certain meds that may help in their patients healing.

I have some decent size  herniations in my low back. When they happened(trying to squat alot of weight), I went to the ER, they took xrays, and sent me home with meds.

Then I followed up with an ortho, went for an mri, and I suppossedly needed immediate surgery. Well I had no insurance, and decided to see what would happen by letting some time pass, figured it would heal on its own with some conservative treatments.

Well it did, I was in a lot of pain for 4-6 months, but I healed!

I have no problems today, except that one of my calves are about 3/4 smaller than the other one, big deal. Now I feel if I didn't use conservative treatments, I would of still healed, but it would of taken longer and maybe not correct. There is a difference.

Others have minimal back  herniations and can not walk. Others have big herniations and are fine. It really is amazing. 

Chiropractic plays a part in the way you heal, it is not the only factor. There are other processes going on in the body that you do not know about when you get treatment. It gets complicated and no one wants a lecture in physiology! 

You Need to consider other things that play a role in the healing process, such as  diet, exercise, pysical and emotional stress levels, meds, etc.

There are good Chrios and not so good ones, just like in other professions.

Ive been to bad dentists, and now I have an awesome one. That doesn't mean since I had 3 bad dentist experiences, or 3 bad haircuts, I am not going to get my teeth cleaned or hair cut anymore. I just searched and found good ones. 

Pretty much, if the chiro demands xrays when there is no trauma or red flags, or wants to sign you up on some sort of lease payment plan, walk away!

As for insurance, that is between the patient and the insurance company. The chiro has nothing to do with it.

Copays suck today. I know. And you are supposed to pay a copay if you have one or its insurance fraud.

Some insurance companies require a $40 copay, and allow up to $40 for a visit. In this case, this  is the only payment the chiro gets.

So if the chiro was gonna waive the copay(illegal), or reduce it(again illegal), then he would be working for free  or at a highly discounted rate.

It takes one disgruntled patient to make a phone call to the insurance company and let them know their chiro is reducing or not collecting copays.

I look at Insurance being used for a bigger expense, such as an ER visit, expensive meds, surgery, and things like that. So if you have a high copay, or no insurance, I am pretty sure chiro is a much less expensive option of healthcare.

Most chiros should work with you if you do not have insurance, and again, if not, find another  one.

It is your choice! 

Had some good luck with an osteopath a few years ago.

Also, geezer-size Motrin from Costco.

I've had less trouble with my back since I started paying attention to my desk chair and car seats. Volvo, Mercedes and the late and unlamented SAAB have orthopedic seats. (Despite about a bazillion adjustments, BMW seats have been less than impressive.) Since I've lost weight and get regular exercise, I've had less trouble, too. I've been seeing a rheumatologist but I think I'm doing a lot better with the stuff I'm doing than he is doing with the stuff he's doing, so it's gotten pointless.

Had some good luck with an osteopath a few years ago.

Also, geezer-size Motrin from Costco.

I've had less trouble with my back since I started paying attention to my desk chair and car seats. Volvo, Mercedes and the late and unlamented SAAB have orthopedic seats. (Despite about a bazillion adjustments, BMW seats have been less than impressive.) Since I've lost weight and get regular exercise, I've had less trouble, too. I've been seeing a rheumatologist but I think I'm doing a lot better with the stuff I'm doing than he is doing with the stuff he's doing, so it's gotten pointless.

Changes are a big part of it.

Congrats

My next door neighbor the Chiropractor:

Oh.....don't worry you don't have to pay me....your medical insurance will cover it, just keep coming for your treatments......what a bunch of BS ....this is what he use to tell his patients, he told me......SCAM...no wonder why our insurance rates are the way they are.....thank god he finally sold the house and moved away.....he sickened me.

Some are.

On January 18, 2010, former New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine signed new scope-of-practice legislation that will benefit not only the chiropractic profession in New Jersey but, more importantly, the state’s chiropractic patients.

This legislation updates a practice statute that was outdated and overly restrictive. The signing marks the first time New Jersey’s scope-of-practice regulations have been amended since 1953.

Dr. Steven Clarke, president of the Association of New Jersey Chiropractors (ANJC), says, “We are very proud of our efforts on behalf of this bill and the impact it will have not just for the chiropractic profession, but, most importantly, the one million patients we treat statewide each year that benefit from chiropractic care.”

Key points of the new scope-of-practice stipulations:

• Makes it unlawful for any person, other than a N.J. licensed chiropractor, to render a utilization management decision that limits, restricts, or curtails a course of chiropractic care.

• Consistent with chiropractic practice, allows chiropractors to provide a full complement of diagnostic and analytical tests similar to other physicians.

• Permits chiropractors to provide dietary/nutritional counseling, and the ability to dispense nutritional supplements.

• The term chiropractic subluxation is written into the statute for the first time.

• Permits chiropractors to diagnose, analyze, and treat all joints and soft tissues of the body independent of spinal subluxation.

• Splinting and bracing will be put into law so that collars, braces, and sports taping are forever adjuncts to chiropractic care.

• Requires chiropractors to maintain malpractice liability insurance.

• Requires chiropractors to complete 30 credits for continuing education every two years.

• Permits chiropractors to administer physical modalities and therapeutic, rehabilitative, and strengthening exercises.

• Chiropractors can sign or certify temporary or permanent impairments and other certifications consistent with a chiropractic practice, such as pre-employment screenings

For what it is worth, in my lifetime I have used 3 different chiropractors, all with the desired results.

The first was old while I was young and after the problem was fixed; told me I was finished.  He died of old age before I needed him again.

The next was a very cute young thing recommended by my first wife.  She helped my back problem, but my second wife was not too happy about my returning there for periodic "adjustments"

The third was originally in West Paterson, very good and dedicated and took care of a couple of members of my family with problems that medical doctors only wanted to treat with drugs.

His first wife screwed him over and put his business under.  I understand he is practicing again locally and will look him up if I need any treatment.  PM me for his name and location.

It an activator, LOL!

Unless it runs on electric, then its an arthrostim usually.

yup, thats the thingamajig. dadburned newfangled contraptions! feels extra special on the back of the head/neck too.

I've been to many chiropractors, and I have stopped. None of them were whackadoos. However, that does not mean they were really honest with my best health interests at heart.

Here's the technical problem with chiropracty: Extrapolated over a fairly short time frame, it is almost always a no-op. Nothing happens in total. You start out in state X, they shift stuff around, it shifts back, you wind up in state X again with the exact same problem. 

About the only thing this isn't useless for is breaking a chain reaction of impingement induced inflammation causing a secondary issue, and even then, you may just be talking longer intervals between discontinuing treatment and recurrence of the symptom. In the mainstream medical world, they share many methods you will encounter in the world of non kooky chiropracty such as various forms of traction, application of heat or cold, massage, TENS units, etc. Mainstream medicine will also be able to prescribe you drugs. What mainstream medicine will often prescribe is physical therapy. Some chiropractors will too. Very often, if chiropracty helps temporarily, physical therapy combined with a lifestyle change will help on an ongoing basis. 

So, this leads to the real problem with it as a patient/customer: Money vs. your best interests. 

Chiropractors are stuck at a price point that has to be south of the actual medical profession. Even worse, unless they are at a price point below the actual medical profession as subsidized by insurance, they aren't worth going to with regards to comparative cost for most of their potential customer base. So how do you make money? Sell you too many x-rays and irradiate the snot out of you. Sell you unregulated orthopedic devices (beds are a popular one, as well as pillows and other fun stuff). Go full kook, and start you on bizarre made up holistic medicine. have you come in for more visits than you need. Have you do TENS treatments that do nothing. Add on massages. etc. 

None of it is good for your wallet, but some of that can cause issues if you don't need it. If they are really trying to squeeze you, you have to worry about them doing something that is actually going to make things worse. In general, they are mostly going to try and keep you coming through that door as frequently as possible. 

In the course of going to chiropractors, there was NOTHING AT ALL that was achieved that would not have been done cheaper, faster, more effectively, and with me experiencing less painful days per annum than had I just gone to physical therapy and kept up with the maintenance exercises. 

I've been to many chiropractors, and I have stopped. None of them were whackadoos. However, that does not mean they were really honest with my best health interests at heart.

Here's the technical problem with chiropracty: Extrapolated over a fairly short time frame, it is almost always a no-op. Nothing happens in total. You start out in state X, they shift stuff around, it shifts back, you wind up in state X again with the exact same problem. 

About the only thing this isn't useless for is breaking a chain reaction of impingement induced inflammation causing a secondary issue, and even then, you may just be talking longer intervals between discontinuing treatment and recurrence of the symptom. In the mainstream medical world, they share many methods you will encounter in the world of non kooky chiropracty such as various forms of traction, application of heat or cold, massage, TENS units, etc. Mainstream medicine will also be able to prescribe you drugs. What mainstream medicine will often prescribe is physical therapy. Some chiropractors will too. Very often, if chiropracty helps temporarily, physical therapy combined with a lifestyle change will help on an ongoing basis. 

So, this leads to the real problem with it as a patient/customer: Money vs. your best interests. 

Chiropractors are stuck at a price point that has to be south of the actual medical profession. Even worse, unless they are at a price point below the actual medical profession as subsidized by insurance, they aren't worth going to with regards to comparative cost for most of their potential customer base. So how do you make money? Sell you too many x-rays and irradiate the snot out of you. Sell you unregulated orthopedic devices (beds are a popular one, as well as pillows and other fun stuff). Go full kook, and start you on bizarre made up holistic medicine. have you come in for more visits than you need. Have you do TENS treatments that do nothing. Add on massages. etc. 

None of it is good for your wallet, but some of that can cause issues if you don't need it. If they are really trying to squeeze you, you have to worry about them doing something that is actually going to make things worse. In general, they are mostly going to try and keep you coming through that door as frequently as possible. 

In the course of going to chiropractors, there was NOTHING AT ALL that was achieved that would not have been done cheaper, faster, more effectively, and with me experiencing less painful days per annum than had I just gone to physical therapy and kept up with the maintenance exercises. 

I think the chiros you went to in the past all had different philosophies and were not current with up to date treatments.

Everyone has a choice to buy Tens, creams, pills, beds, pillows,and whatever else the chiro sells. I probably wouldnt mind a nice pillow if the price was right.

Of course they make  money by selling it. And yes it could get out of hand if the chiro is like a used car salesman.

What about all this new treatment the Meds are pushing that costs thousands and insurance does not cover it, such as pellet implants. I saw the pre and post  blood work results, not impressed. There are some shady characters in all type of businesses, and sadly healthcare is one of them.

Chiropractors, just like Medical Docs, should know if they can not help you and refer you to someone that can.

There are different types of Chiropractors.  Some are more of the massagy-type.  The actual good type (in my experience) are the ones that focus on Vertebral subluxation.  If your spinal column isn't in proper alignment then you can be affected by pain in different areas.  Readjusting the spinal column can definitely help - I've felt sooooooo much better after going to a chiro.

Weird....

My Chiro never tried to sell anything in the past 5 years, and actually told me not to waste money on a lot of stuff, and medicine for sake of medicine. 

I had suffered massive lower back pains, after I had a degenerated disk as a result of a retail store accident.  After going to chiro and starting to work out... no more issues with back pain.

Don't forget to give credit to all that yogurt you ate. ;)

Weird....

My Chiro never tried to sell anything in the past 5 years, and actually told me not to waste money on a lot of stuff, and medicine for sake of medicine.

I had suffered massive lower back pains, after I had a degenerated disk as a result of a retail store accident. After going to chiro and starting to work out... no more issues with back pain.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Chiros just get things adjusted and the blood flowing.  You need to do the yoga, pilates, proper diet, exercise, strength training, posture, etc to really complete the cure. 

Nervous system function is improved by treatment, which can lead to increased circulation. Thats the big picture!

Good post

Weird....

I had suffered massive lower back pains, after I had a degenerated disk as a result of a retail store accident.  After going to chiro and starting to work out... no more issues with back pain.

All chiros should be like yours! Congrats on finding a great 1

There are different types of Chiropractors.  Some are more of the massagy-type.  The actual good type (in my experience) are the ones that focus on Vertebral subluxation.  If your spinal column isn't in proper alignment then you can be affected by pain in different areas.  Readjusting the spinal column can definitely help - I've felt sooooooo much better after going to a chiro.

Thats a word I havent heard a non-chiro use in a very long time!

I would want the massagy-type that can correct subluxations. Best of both.

The med profession also know of the importance of keeping your spine in proper alignment.

Sounds like some good chiros are around after all, and are keeping everyone educated.

I've considered that along with pilates

sent from my Samsung Note 2

I was on the wrestling team in high school and ended up visiting a chiropractor almost weekly for pain in my neck and back.  After I graduated, I stopped wrestling and put on some weight - and I still had neck and back pain.  I tried Pilates and found that while it was good for my neck and back, it also strengthened parts of my body I didn't even know I had.  I've been doing Pilates regularly now for about 15 years and I believe it's immeasurably improved my life.  I got certified to teach Pilates about 5 years ago and I now teach in Center City Philadelphia.  If you're interested in a free consultation just to check it out, PM me.  

For now I decided i'm going to do yoga, body resistance exercising and try the miracle ball thing (I had someone at work suggest that) Depending on how I feel after this weekend I might see my buddies chiro next week. I figure go non medical for the next few weeks and decide the next course of action after my son in born.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

One other thing to keep in mind is that chiropractors themselves might be doing different things.  Within the chiropractic profession, there are completely different philosophies and disciplines on how to adjust the back.  There are many ways to skin a cat, and many ways to adjust a back.  So you take one chiropractor, he might do things completely differently than another chiropractor would.  The good ones are the ones that continuously improve their technique as they practice, until they are really really good, until they work out their own technique to perfection.  The bad ones are the ones that just pop the back like they were taught in school and try and sell you something.