Bugsy732

14.5 vs 16" upper decisions.......

So I have thought myself in to a corner... for the past few days i have been toying around with the idea of switching from my 14.5" mid-length Spikes upper and going with a 16" mid-length system... I've talked to a few friends and everyone has something good to say about each.

I'd like to pose the question to the forum and see what a few other people have to say about either system i'm thinking about going/staying with.

What are the overall benefits of the longer 16" barrel vs. the 14" barrel and is it worth the extra scratch it's going to cost me to upgrade my System?

Set up 1 (Current):

• 14.5" Spikes Barrel 
  • MID LENGTH Gas System
  • Dynacomp extreme
  • Spikes  BCG w/charging handle
  • Magpul MOE hand guards or Spikes 9" BAR free float rail system
  • FSP/gas block combo

Set up 2 (possible change to)

• 16" Spikes barrel
  • MID LENGTH system w/micro block
  • Dynacomp Shorty
  • Spikes BCG w/Charging handle
  • Spikes 9" BAR 

the rifle will be my "EVERY DAY" shooter. I'm looking for accuracy and ease of shooting in tight quarters situations as well as up to 200 yards. My Umbrella will be the long range shooter.

this is the upper i have now:

151282341.jpg

and this is what the upper would look like if i were to switch (note it would have the mid-length gas system):

STU5025-R1S.jpg

thanks

Zap

Thank you for the link, I was actually told by 2 other guys on here to get the bcm. It's a little pricey when you add it all up.

I also love the dynacomp and I always wanted that spikes complete upper since last year.

Thank you for the link, I was actually told by 2 other guys on here to get the bcm. It's a little pricey when you add it all up.

I also love the dynacomp and I always wanted that spikes complete upper since last year.

Shouldve got that EAG upper I told you about couple weeks back.  It's essentially the same thing. Had the I got the dynacomp and all

IMG_20130602_195418_815_zps1ed2c723.jpg

14.5 LW barrel

Magpul middy guards

BCM CH and BCG

IWC QD sling mount

mbus rear

Slip 2000 lube

Training vid

Hat

EAG training discount. 

It's legit

I think you are fine with the 14.5" upper, but I did want to mention one difference I found between 14.5" and 16" mid-length uppers.

The 14.5 is somewhat less gassed than the 16" barrel. I had a Spikes 14.5" Mid-length upper on a Noveske lower and was hoping to use a rifle length spring, buffer, and buffer tube in my A1 stock. That setup had feeding/ejection issues with 55 grain PMC 223 ammo (worked better with 5.56). I bought the Spike's buffer spacer, a carbine length spring, and a carbine buffer (still used the rifle buffer tube) and it worked perfectly. I now have a 16" Daniel Defense rifle, and the rifle buffer spring/buffer setup works fine in it. I know they are different rifles, but don't be surprised if the 16" barrel behaves slightly differently (i.e. chucks brass further, etc) because it is able to scavenge more gas than the 14.5.

This is one of the first articles that comes up in Google search.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

If you want it, get it, but you gain nothing from the extra 1.5"

correction, you gain weight...lol

Just to add my 2c, i had a 16" and switched it out for a 14" bcm LW. no discernible difference in accuracy but it was noticeably lighter going from a standard 16" to a lightweight 14.5". The main difference is heat absorption, but we're not shooting FA, so its moot.

I have both lengths a 14.5" and 16". I believe the 16 will have slightly higher velocity than the 14.5" due to the longer barrel. People may say its not different but I believe it is even if its 100 fps. The mid length gas system will be softer than the shorter carbine length. Ymmv on if you feel it or not. I am planning on a third setup as an SPR 18" barrel for long range precision. It will have more fps than the 14.5 and 16. Personally I love the 14.5" just because its shorter and its my go to gun for all occasions and its dead on up to 300 yards. I'll give up some fps for better handling. But it's all preference

It's up to you. I'll take that upper if you don't want it. I'll trade you for the 16" carbine with yhm medieval brake. Iihhtweight barrel

The 1.5" difference in barrel length will give you no discernable advantage in accuracy or velocity. That upper you have will do everything the upper you are looking to build will do.

That being said, a new upper is halfway to a new rifle and everyone needs a new rifle.

H.E. hit the nail on the head. Everyone needs a new upper to morph into a new rifle!

In terms of accuracy advantages, the free floated barrel has a slight advantage off the bench. In practical terms, it's not overly significant.

Kind of along the same lines, I am contemplating a new build to compliment my 14.5" mid-length BCM rifle. The goal is a "medium-range" rifle with a low-power fixed optic and a free floated barrel. Any reason not to go with a 16" barrel for this rifle?

I had a Spikes 14.5" Mid-length upper on a Noveske lower and was hoping to use a rifle length spring, buffer, and buffer tube in my A1 stock. That setup had feeding/ejection issues with 55 grain PMC 223 ammo (worked better with 5.56).

Thats odd, I have a 14.5 mid length that works just fine with my rifle recoil system, with any ammo, light or fast.

Thats odd, I have a 14.5 mid length that works just fine with my rifle recoil system, with any ammo, light or fast.

From what I understand, there is no universal standard mid-length gas port size. That might account for some of it. Also, PMC bronze is some slow ammo.

If you didn't already have the 14.5 & lived somewhere free I'd say get the 16. But since you do & don't, just save up for that second AR.

^This. Difference is not enough.

I read above that 14.5" Spike's are undergassed. Having fired both 14.5" and 16" BCM middies in auto, the 14.5" was snappy and had a higher rate of fire. The 16" was smoother to shoot. But we are not talking about BCM so...

16" DOES provide a velocity advantage. Velocity is important for the AR, and more so with cheaper ball ammo.

14.5" is a tiny bit shorter (after the long muzzle break).

It's a wash, especially in semi, especially in a state where you can't have removable muzzle devices in this case. If you left NJ, it would be another point for 16", because we don't weld muzzle devices on 16" barrels.

From what I understand, there is no universal standard mid-length gas port size. That might account for some of it. Also, PMC bronze is some slow ammo.

That's true on both, its just that people who make midlength gas systems really should know how to size the damn thing. There is no reason they can't drill the hole correctly to make the gun run with mild ammo like PMC.

Thanks for all of the replies.. Lots of good info here. I will most likely keep the upper I have the way it is. Maybe upgrade the hand guards to quad rails... If I can find someone to take the dynacomp off I would go with a Bar rail and ditch the fsp.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all of the replies.. Lots of good info here. I will most likely keep the upper I have the way it is. Maybe upgrade the hand guards to quad rails... If I can find someone to take the dynacomp off I would go with a Bar rail and ditch the fsp.

Thanks guys!

Why do you view the quad rail as an upgrade? Personally I like the magpuls better. What are you looking to hang on it?

Why do you view the quad rail as an upgrade? Personally I like the magpuls better. What are you looking to hang on it?

This. If you are only putting a light and maybe a VFG/AFG the MOE will get it done just fine.

I have a FF rail on one work gun because I have need of an IR laser. The rest of my social rifles have MOE Handguards.

If you just want it because you want it, that's cool - get it. But don't think you need it.

It's really personal preference. I just like the way a free float system looks. IMO the lines of the rifle just look cleaner. im not a huge fan of the quad rail but until i can get the dynacomp off thr quad rail will have to do... Ultimately I would rather the spikes SAR system. Just looks hot!

BTW, I think FF is better for certain things (like pushing hard against barriers and not pushing on your barrel, and letting you reach out further with the support hand) but quad rail does not equal FF.  The KAK RAS for example is a quad rail without being a FF and plenty of FF hand guards don't have quad rails.