Clintoon Eastwood

Did it hurt? Share your 1st firearm related incident

The last few days I've been out of commission. Coughing and trying to get over a cold. So I had time on my hands.

So, the last couple days I have been cleaning my toys. For Some of you that know me, I'm sure I've told you before that I do not like to clean them unless I'm shooting corrosive stuff. I decided to clean one or 2 firearms a day.

Not until yesterday my ouchy happened, but first as I was cleaning my garand stripping it down, even to the stock. And nope I didn't get the garand thumb. Cleaning the garand was easy. So then I moved on to the wasr, with my mind set was still on the garand, I thought I locked the bolt back, but not thinking it doesn't lock only with the magazine in, then it will lock back. With the top cover off and the bolt pulled back I reached in near the chamber for a peice of gunk, then SLAMMMMMM!

I didn't feel the pain right away, I just saw a peice of skin near my finger nail on my pointer finger peeled back. So I calmly walked to the bathroom to peel the skin off, yup! Then the I washed the blood off.

Not less than 2 minutes later I started feeling an excruciating pain, I actually in the first time in my life I felt light headed.

It still hurts now and clearly purple and extremely sore.

Lets hear your stories gentlemen! :D

I have two bad ones:

When I was about 15, my friend and I were at the house for the day that my parents had bought out in the country but not yet moved us into.

After many hours of shooting our BB guns at anything that moved outside, Russ and I were in the shed warming by the potbelly stove, shooting air out of our thought to be empty BB guns until I aimed it at his leg from about 6 inches.  You can surmise the rest.

The other was after I got out of the Army and brought a .22 Derringer home from Germany.  My two brothers and I were shooting at a 55 gal drum with what I remember to be .22 Rockets.  One bounced back and gave my brother Don a very large welt on his belly.

Did not happen to me but I was there. A friend of mine (Andy) brought a friend of his (Jay) to a farm that we shoot at in PA. Jay is from Brooklyn and has never fired a gun before. Andy lets Jay shoot his LCP. Andy was not paying attention to Jays grip and it turns out that Jay did not know how to grip a gun and he was keeping his thumb straight up, like how one can make a gun sign with your thumb and pointer finger. So Jay fired the gun and the slide came back and smashed into his thumb and dislocated it. He was in allot of pain after that LOL

While in the Army working on a M2 .50 cal bolt.. I had a spring loaded lever on top of the bolt(i forget the parts nomenclature) snap back and remove a little more than 1/8 inch of the flesh on my right index fingertip..After a few obscenties and alot of blood.. i got an order from my Tank commander to go see the medic.. At the Medic track i was given a bandaid, two advils and a suggestion to man-up.. Needless to say my finger never looked the same

havent really had any major incidents yet..   first time i shot, i rented a glock and i shot that after the Ruger revolver so i didnt realize i needed to change my grip..  (well, i shouldnt have needed to but was my first time shooting, so i was inexperienced)..  worst thing that happened was that i got 2 'bites' from the slide..  nothing major, just a little bit of blood..   since then, of course, i know how to properly grip a handgun.. 

First semi late 70's, took out my the web between thumb and forefinger. That isa lesson that once you do it, you don't do dat no mo! ;)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I think it should be required as part of the initiation process of your first semi. ;)

Same thing happened to me, with a FEG PA 63, 20+ years ago. I still think about that every time I try a new gun.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Nothing really major. Slipped with a punch while cleaning my Mosin and cut my finger, various injuries from fingers being in the way of hammers (tool, not the actual hammer), and once on my first outing for shooting skeet, my Mossberg slipped out of my shoulder and was resting on the meat of my tricep. I was brusied real nice for a few days. 

i didn't realize that when you put a shell into the magazine of a browning a5 with the bolt locked back, it automatically chambers the shell and slams the bolt shut....on my pinky.

:icon_e_smile: Folks have been taken by surprise with this feature since Browning added that function in the early 50's. Earlier A5's didn't have this feature. It is a slick utility when you're careful.

i haven't had any major incidents, knock on wood, but my girlfriend took and .45 shell down her shirt that left a perfectly shaped brass burn on a very sensitive part of her upper body.  She kept the muzzle pointed down range the whole time she was cursing at me and trying to get the brass out. I was very proud.

i haven't had any major incidents, knock on wood, but my girlfriend took and .45 shell down her shirt that left a perfectly shaped brass burn on a very sensitive part of her upper body.  She kept the muzzle pointed down range the whole time she was cursing at me and trying to get the brass out. I was very proud.

Happens to my wife fairly often but she still doesn't wear a higher cut shirt.

The last few days I've been out of commission. Coughing and trying to get over a cold. So I had time on my hands.

So, the last couple days I have been cleaning my toys. For Some of you that know me, I'm sure I've told you before that I do not like to clean them unless I'm shooting corrosive stuff. I decided to clean one or 2 firearms a day.

Not until yesterday my ouchy happened, but first as I was cleaning my garand stripping it down, even to the stock. And nope I didn't get the garand thumb. Cleaning the garand was easy. So then I moved on to the wasr, with my mind set was still on the garand, I thought I locked the bolt back, but not thinking it doesn't lock only with the magazine in, then it will lock back. With the top cover off and the bolt pulled back I reached in near the chamber for a peice of gunk, then SLAMMMMMM!

I didn't feel the pain right away, I just saw a peice of skin near my finger nail on my pointer finger peeled back. So I calmly walked to the bathroom to peel the skin off, yup! Then the I washed the blood off.

Not less than 2 minutes later I started feeling an excruciating pain, I actually in the first time in my life I felt light headed.

It still hurts now and clearly purple and extremely sore.

Lets hear your stories gentlemen! :D

You might want to give some serious thought to seeking medical attention, including an x-ray. The bone at the tip of your finger, called the "tuft", is fairly delicate. I've seen plenty of them broken. An untreated broken bone can easily lead to an infection; and that can get bad quick.

I got poison ivy once during a carbine class.

Only real thing that ever happened was the first time i ever shot/held a pistol, I didn't know how to release the slide on the kimber I was shooting. I used my right hand, reached over and pushes down the slide stop and got my webbing caught. Last time you ever make that mistake

I got poison ivy once during a carbine class.

Only real thing that ever happened was the first time i ever shot/held a pistol, I didn't know how to release the slide on the kimber I was shooting. I used my right hand, reached over and pushes down the slide stop and got my webbing caught. Last time you ever make that mistake

oh yeah, that happened to me as well..  with my fathers M&P..  slightly different configuration than my CZ so i did the same thing as you and it caught be a bit on the slide release...

I got tagged in the nose by a piece of copper jacket that ricocheted off a steel plate. Thought it just cut me because there was little blood. A few hours later it was still lightly bleeding so on further inspection, I pulled a nice little piece out of my nostril.

Wear those safety glasses, kids.