Sign in to follow this  
Old Dog

Result of poll shows NJ Residents favor gun control over gun rights

What is interesting about this article is that is says what I have been saying about the problem with NJ. The poll shows that the majority of NJ residents support gun control over gun rights. I think it was 63%. Today a plumber came over to do some work and we talked guns the whole time he was working. In fact, I talk guns with just about every worker who has come here plus my barber. In NJ, I never told anyone but close friends that I owned guns because it more often than not, ended up in a heated pro and anti gun argument and I did not want to spoil the evening fighting about guns. :) Here is the link to the article:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=9253990

I never told anyone but close friends that I owned guns because it more often than not, ended up in a heated pro and anti gun argument and I did not want to spoil the evening fighting about guns.

I tell everyone I can, because when they see that I own guns, and support gun rights, and am a Life Member of the NRA, all their assumptions about people who like guns being nut jobs are challenged.  I'm a pretty average guy, with most viewpoints significantly to the left of most people on this forum.  When they hear that average guys aren't crazy to like guns, it shakes their incorrect base assumptions.

I tell everyone I can, because when they see that I own guns, and support gun rights, and am a Life Member of the NRA, all their assumptions about people who like guns being nut jobs are challenged.  I'm a pretty average guy, with most viewpoints significantly to the left of most people on this forum.  When they hear that average guys aren't crazy to like guns, it shakes their incorrect base assumptions.

I think all it does is show that you are a good and responsible gun owner, as it did to my close friends and family. It still does not reassure them about the bad and irresponsible gun owners who kill people and commit mass murder. No matter how nice YOU are, it does not negate the fact that there are bad people who use guns that commit mass murders and shootings that they read about daily. My experience is that the people I knew felt that most gun owners are responsible people but there was no way to tell who was and was not without more gun control to weed them out and a restriction on the weapons and magazines to limit the damage they do. What does my being nice and respectable have to do with that? It is not the responsible gun owner they fear.

One favorite of mine was a person who told me that the problem was that even if only good people bought guns, the fact that they are in homes and can be stolen, is still a problem. If someone is anti gun, the fact that you are not a gun nut is not going to sway them. All it may do is prove that not all gun people are gun nuts but to tell the truth, I do not think any reasonable and educated person really believes EVERY gun owner is a gun nut. After all, Joe Biden owns a shotgun and Obama released pictures of him shooting one. :)

I guess what it comes down to is your circle of acquaintances and friends as people can have different experiences depending on who they talk to. Since I worked in NYC most of my life with very upper middle class to outright rich people, who led sheltered lives, their views on guns were very different than my close friends.

One favorite of mine was a person who told me that the problem was that even if only good people bought guns, the fact that they are in homes and can be stolen, is still a problem. 

But that's a pretty reasonable objection, and you should help them think through it.  They are certainly not going to get over this worry by reading newspapers.

I've seen recent polls showing overwhelming support for concealed carry in NJ, and against the need for more background checks, among others.  But you will never see an article in this state about those polls.

Thank god we live in a constitutional republic, where the majority is not able to vote away the rights of minorities.

Results are from a poll of 925 New Jersey adults conducted statewide among both landline and cell phone households from Sept 3-9. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percentage points. 

http://eagletonpollblog.wordpress.com/

It's a BS poll, built to customer's needs and impossible to verify. 

Who has landline anymore and actually picking it up when it rings? 

What is "cell phone household" anyway?

It's a BS poll, built to customer's needs and impossible to verify. 

Who has landline anymore and actually picking it up when it rings? 

What is "cell phone household" anyway?

That margin of error seems way too low for such a small sample unless Rutgers is so sure in their selection criteria and/or has methods for eliminating any sort of bias in the polling questions.

Also, what struck me as odd was the way the survey was framed.  It was setup as an experiment, more than a fact-based poll.

"So we asked the questions in an experiment where half of our respondents were told that Christie had vetoed the bills and half were only told the legislature passed them. The three bills would have 1) required reporting lost, stolen, and discarded guns to federal databases, 2) record gun permits on driver’s licenses, require gun safety training, and create instant background checks, and 3) ban .50-caliber rifles. Interesting, the last of these was advocated for by Christie, but in the end he vetoed the bill."

That would skew results. 

I worry the plumber will come back and steal the guns. I used to be all nice and vocal and chatted with strangers in or around my residence. Now after being part of this board for a while and hearing nightmare stories (is not like this forum is about tea parties) I have a different view on strangers

I park my BMW not in my driveway when I have a worker there. When asked what I do for a living I tell them I am a part time school teacher. "hey that's a nice piece of artwork". "thanks it's fake"

I would prefer that strangers do not know I own weapons

EDIT: strangers that know where I live that is. Outside my residence then I will promote 2A just as much as anybody on here

just had an argument tonight with an anti.  said, give up abortion and then we can talk about guns.  Then I said, give up one right and then what is next; freedom of the press, speech, ability to raise your kids as you see fit?

shut her right up and she couldn't disagree

I worry the plumber will come back and steal the guns. I used to be all nice and vocal and chatted with strangers in or around my residence. Now after being part of this board for a while and hearing nightmare stories (is not like this forum is about tea parties) I have a different view on strangers

I park my BMW not in my driveway when I have a worker there. When asked what I do for a living I tell them I am a part time school teacher. "hey that's a nice piece of artwork". "thanks it's fake"

I would prefer that strangers do not know I own weapons

EDIT: strangers that know where I live that is. Outside my residence then I will promote 2A just as much as anybody on here

I'm a plumber. Trust me we don't need to steal. We have a state issued license to do that already legally. I charge $125 an hour during normal business hours & $225 after 4pm and weekends. You think I don't have a BMW in the garage too? Sits right next to my boat & two waverunners behind the Motorcycles. Think you should be worried more about the landscapers.:)

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

My neighbors know. I got the full spectrum of results from it.  But the one consistent thing that struck me as funny was the fact that they tell there kids should anything bad happen to go to my house and get me.LOL Even the Anti gun people told there kids this.

I mean I'm honored they see me as a good guy . But even the anti's see deep down that it's a nessasary right. They just hate the fact that people they dont agree with get to have that right to.

I'm a plumber. Trust me we don't need to steal. We have a state issued license to do that already legally. I charge $125 an hour during normal business hours & $225 after 4pm and weekends. You think I don't have a BMW in the garage too? Sits right next to my boat & two waverunners behind the Motorcycles. Think you should be worried more about the landscapers.:)

One hundred percent no disrespect intended for plumbers. It could have been anyone making a house call. I think you put the smiley as you know it was in jest. Just want to make sure, I should have not singled out any vocation.

I'm a plumber. Trust me we don't need to steal. We have a state issued license to do that already legally. I charge $125 an hour during normal business hours & $225 after 4pm and weekends. You think I don't have a BMW in the garage too? Sits right next to my boat & two waverunners behind the Motorcycles. Think you should be worried more about the landscapers. :) Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Easy now..... We don't need to steal either, and we don't normally come into a customers house anyway.

Funny you mention your rates...........I was doing some plumbing today in my house because I didn't want to pay the plumber $250 to do a job that cost me $10 in parts.

Well, the poll is probably correct.

Look at it from the standpoint of ATV's.

I don not own an ATV.  I do not know anybody who owns an ATV.  I have no desire to own an ATV.  When NJ banned ATV's from public land I didn't care one bit.  But who cared?  I'd imagine a bunch of people in Jackson, NJ and Cumberland / Salem county.  But for the majority of NJ residents - nobody cared.

I've said this before: you know how beauty contestants wear a sash going from their right hip to their left shoulder.  Well, NJ is kind of like that.  The majority of the population stretches like a sash from Camden all the up in a diagonal slant to Princeton / West Windsor and then up I95 to Newark.

If you live outside of that I95 band you really don't exist in eyes of the state legislature.  

Now how many people inside that band do you think own ATV's?  Not as many as who live in Jackson and Forked River and Salem/ Cumberland County or way up north in West Milford.

Think of firearms the same way.  If only 14%-20% of people in NJ own guns, then you could ban everything form an AR-15 to a pea shooter and it just wouldn't effect most of your voters.  So why should they care about your gun rights?

I think this basically all started with the FID.  The FID made it a pain for casual gun owners, that is people who just want to own one gun for home defense, to go out an purchase a gun.  So who owns the guns?  Well for the most part, the people who need a gun for their sport - the hunters and trap shooters.  Where do they live?  Jackson and Forked River and Salem/ Cumberland County or way up north in West Milford.  

NJ basically has 2 types of gun owners, the hunters and the enthusiasts.  Basically nobody goes through all of those headaches just to buy one gun to throw in a nightstand the way people do in PA.

So the poll is probably correct.   

Think of firearms the same way.  If only 14%-20% of people in NJ own guns, then you could ban everything form an AR-15 to a pea shooter and it just wouldn't effect most of your voters.  So why should they care about your gun rights?

In California more than 20% own guns. Maryland too. In Florida less than 25% own guns and they have CCW and stand your ground.

The reason the blue states get away with it is because they have people willing to let gun rights take a back seat. People will vote for other progressive things like big government, unions, gay marriage, illegal immigration, welfare, marijuana rights and let gun rights take a back seat.

I don not own an ATV.  I do not know anybody who owns an ATV.  I have no desire to own an ATV.  When NJ banned ATV's from public land I didn't care one bit.  But who cared?  I'd imagine a bunch of people in Jackson, NJ and Cumberland / Salem county.  But for the majority of NJ residents - nobody cared.

I've said this before: you know how beauty contestants wear a sash going from their right hip to their left shoulder.  Well, NJ is kind of like that.  The majority of the population stretches like a sash from Camden all the up in a diagonal slant to Princeton / West Windsor and then up I95 to Newark.

If you live outside of that I95 band you really don't exist in eyes of the state legislature.  

Now how many people inside that band do you think own ATV's?  Not as many as who live in Jackson and Forked River and Salem/ Cumberland County or way up north in West Milford.

I think this basically all started with the FID.  The FID made it a pain for casual gun owners, that is people who just want to own one gun for home defense, to go out an purchase a gun.  So who owns the guns?  Well for the most part, the people who need a gun for their sport - the hunters and trap shooters.  Where do they live?  Jackson and Forked River and Salem/ Cumberland County or way up north in West Milford.  

NJ basically has 2 types of gun owners, the hunters and the enthusiasts.  Basically nobody goes through all of those headaches just to buy one gun to throw in a nightstand the way people do in PA.

Succinct, articulate, and well stated sir.

in a million years I'd never pay a plumber that kind of coin to come into my house. No slight on plumbers but you guys gotta have your heads examined to do that......

I wish I pocketed all that money truth be told about 30% of that goes to me the rest is overhead. Its not cheap to run a small business in NJ everything costs... insurance, comp, phones, someone to answer the phone, trucks, fuel, the accountant, the shop, & I'm sure a whole bunch of other stuff I'm probably forgetting, and of course the tax man gets his...:(

So with all that said how much should I charge per hour? To still turn a modest profit I can support my family the families of the guys I employ and pay the rest of my bills with? Thats why we charge what we do. Don't like it? Neither do I! Vote republican that would help the small business guy like me to pass the savings on to the customers.

I do however offer a huge discount to anyone who can bring their house to me :lol:

WOAH WOAH WOAH! They did what now? Hell I just bought a four wheeler a couple months ago. That might explain why there isn't really anywhere to ride the damn thing!