JayWilling

Recoil Reducing Stocks

Can anyone recommend a recoil reducing stock for a Mossberg 500 (synthetic). I'd like to get this thing so my wife can handle it without getting knocked on her ass. We'd prefer a standard stock, with no pistol grip.

Any ideas?

Sorry if I missed this topic somewhere else.

Other than a LimbSaver or regular Recoil Pad, the only other type of "recoil reducing" capabilities I've seen are present on pistol grip w/ collapsible stock solutions. Are you having her shoot regular soft target loads? If not, I'd recommend it over buck or slugs as they'll have less kick. What about getting her a 20 gauge?

.20ga guns often come in smaller lighter guns making the recoil the same. The amount of energy pushed into the shooter is not a function of the stock, it is a function of the load. You can change the rate and profile of the recoil but there is no magic to making the laws of physics more forgiving. Newton's third law applies. 

Maybe a tank break compensator can change that. 

Use light target loads for practice, there are 5ft tall women and 12 year old kids that have no problem handling a 12ga, technique also matter.

You Say it is A synthetic stock, Is it solid in the butt area?  If so its A 1 Dollar fix.  Take the recoil pad off and drill 2 holes, 1 top and 1 bottom. Insert A roll of pennies into each hole, reinstall recoil pad and whammo fixed.

Oh damn the guy that told me about this said it was a Secret, So dont tell anyone :maninlove:

1. No, it's a hollow stock so the penny thing won't work.

2. She hasn't shot anything with it yet...it's perception. I'm using low recoil buck and trap loads, and she says it's too much for her without having fired it.

3. She has a youth sized semi-auto 20ga and she can handle that with trap loads and low recoil.

The 20 ga is part of the HD arsenal but we want to get the 12 ga pump into the mix as well. But I've got to figure out a way she can fire it enough to be confidant and I thought the stock would be a help.

The Blackhawk compstock looks interesting.

The other issue I'm wondering...in the recoil reducing stocks that DO have a pistol grip, do'nt you still get the hit on your hand and wrist that you would get with a plain pistol grip?  The compensation is against the shoulder, right?

If she wants this shotgun for self defense there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 20 gauge. Your still firing a crap load of lead with a 20 gauge and caliber shouldn't be what your looking at it's more about being able to fully use the weapon to its potential. Stick with the 20 and take her out for some lessons as how you hold the shotgun will effect recoils management better then any fancy stock

We COULD just stick with the 20 because she handles that well, but we'd like to have the 12 pump as HD as well, but we don't use anything for HD that she can't handle for obvious reasons.

I'll get her out with the stock tucked under her arm to do some hip firing and maybe she'll see it's not that much stronger. I like it that she's little, but it does pose some problems.

All I'm gonna say, is my 110lb wife shoots a 12ga 870 with no problems...stance and placement of the stock is a big factor. As close to center as possible and slightly leaning into in the shotgun.

+1

This is bad... mmmmkay?

Ashinator+with+shotgun.jpg

This is good

shotgun_shooting_stance_scheme_zps20ec67

She needs to pull the gun tight into her shoulder and lean into a bit, she should be fine. The limbsaver pads will help too.

In a home defense situation, she won't fell a darn thing when she pulls the trigger, nor will the sound bother her, until later.

I have an awesome recoil reduction system on my over/under, but it alone costs more than your gun, so I doubt you will want to do that.

A semi auto will also soak-up a lot of the recoil. A 20 gauge won't have much less kick that the 12 guage since the 20's are so much smaller/lighter than the 12's.

Tell her she is a big girl and it shouldn't be significantly different than the 20ga because the gun is heavier and to give it a try once. Her issue is a matter of perception, a stock won't fix that. 

Heck, just tell her you epoxied a mercury recoil reducer into the stock and that's why it is that much heavier than a 20ga. See if that gets her over the hump. It's not going to knock her on her ass.