vinvy

Moving to NJ

Hello everyone.

Currently live in NYC, however my wife is from

NJ and wants to move back, we plan to commute into the city for work and are currently looking at neighborhoods on NJ.

I am a longtime gun owner and hunter and can't wait for slightly lax gun laws leaving NYC. I'm currently learning the NJ laws which is why I joined. Plan to do a lot of reading on this forum.

Wanted to say hello. Also also are there any towns close to manhattan better for gun owners.

Thanks,

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

After doing some reading seems in would have to immediately switch to a NJ license in order to transfer my guns. Is that correct?

As long as the guns are NJ legal ( i think all NY guns are ) you dont have to do any transfers (do you mean get permits??)

You dont need an FID or oermits for the guns yiu already have. That is only for buying ammo on NJ and if you want to buy new guns.

As long as the guns are NJ legal ( i think all NY guns are ) you dont have to do any transfers (do you mean get permits??)

You dont need an FID or oermits for the guns yiu already have. That is only for buying ammo on NJ and if you want to buy new guns.

yes my guns would be NJ legal.

i did mean permits, thanks, so then all I would need to get is the FID in order to continue to buy ammo for them. I would however need a NJ license in order to get and FID, correct?

yes my guns would be NJ legal.

i did mean permits, thanks, so then all I would need to get is the FID in order to continue to buy ammo for them. I would however need a NJ license in order to get and FID, correct?

Correct. FID. And yes, get the NJ license as soon as you can.

Depending on your future local PD or if there s no PD then State Police it can take 3weeks to 8months which is quite a span.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forum/69-current-nj-gun-law-discussion/

Any which way you ll have to be fingerprinted by Morphotrack before applying and it takes 2 weeks to get an appointment with them.

Wanted to say hello. Also also are there any towns close to manhattan better for gun owners.

Welcome to the forums!

The laws are the same throughout the state, getting FID may take longer in some towns than the others, but this is a one-time event.  I'd recommend to look for a place close to NJ transit trains (I work in Manhattan too), and maybe away from cities like Newark or Paterson.

You'll need an FID to transport long guns.  You can't transport handguns in NJ unless it's between the range, home, your business (that you own), or gun shop with or without an FID.

Gun registration in NJ is voluntary.  If you buy a gun here, the permit gets mailed into the NJSP so it's defacto registered.  If you move to NJ with them, no registration.

You'll need an FID to transport long guns.  You can't transport handguns in NJ unless it's between the range, home, your business (that you own), or gun shop with or without an FID.

Gun registration in NJ is voluntary.  If you buy a gun here, the permit gets mailed into the NJSP so it's defacto registered.  If you move to NJ with them, no registration.

You don't need an FID to go to the range and back home with long guns or handguns.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

Welcome to the forum and depending on where in the city you work can help determine where places to live for an easy commute. Also does your wife have as preferred area to live in?

I would really like my commute time to manhattan 30 min at the most. Not sure how realistic that would be since we also want a safer neighborhood with a burbs feel. My wife is from the Wayne area, but that would be to far, she really likes Montclair.

Ok so I would not need to register the long guns I already own. However I need to apply for the FID for future purchases of guns/ammo.

Now, I'm originally from MI and before moving to NY 7 yrs ago I transferred my handguns to my dad, since I figured not worth the trouble trying to bring them to NYC. What would I need to do if I wanted to bring one to NJ after I got the FID? Miss my 357.

Also thank you all for the welcome.

What's the general feeling of NJ gun owners, because honestly NY'ers that own guns are pretty nervous. The conversations at the gun ranges and shops are all about taking of our gun rights.

At least leaving NY is a small victory for me, lol.

I would really like my commute time to manhattan 30 min at the most. Not sure how realistic that would be since we also want a safer neighborhood with a burbs feel. My wife is from the Wayne area, but that would be to far, she really likes Montclair.

Ok so I would not need to register the long guns I already own. However I need to apply for the FID for future purchases of guns/ammo.

Now, I'm originally from MI and before moving to NY 7 yrs ago I transferred my handguns to my dad, since I figured not worth the trouble trying to bring them to NYC. What would I need to do if I wanted to bring one to NJ after I got the FID? Miss my 357.

You would need an FID and a Pistol Permit and have it sent from one FFL to another.

Welcome.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome.... Just a reference to time, Jersey City takes about 3-4 weeks to process my FID with P2Ps.

My commute time starting from my sofa to my office seat, to the old office by NYSE is 40-45 minutes taking the PATH from Hoboken and Times Square is about 35-40 minutes taking the 126 bus from Hoboken.

It might be pretty tough to be under 30 minutes, unless you live right by Hoboken station or Exchange Place.

I live in Montclair and the FID process takes around two months, same for subsequents pistol permits. The town is great and the commute to NYC is 40 minutes without traffic and 90 in rush hours. There is some train stations around but that doesn't work for my schedule. If you have a 9 to 5 work the train or bus (www.decamp.com) will work great for you.

I live in Montclair and the FID process takes around two months, same for subsequents pistol permits. The town is great and the commute to NYC is 40 minutes without traffic and 90 in rush hours. There is some train stations around but that doesn't work for my schedule. If you have a 9 to 5 work the train or bus (www.decamp.com) will work great for you.

I could live with 40 min. 9 am is fine, how are the trains/bus at night. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu after work and won't be leaving the city until 9pm.

I could live with 40 min. 9 am is fine, how are the trains/bus at night. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu after work and won't be leaving the city until 9pm.

Last train weekdays is 12:40 (midnight) and I think the bus runs later. You can see the schedule if the bus on line www.decamp.com this bus line is based in Montclair.

The train is terrible on weekends, no direct train those days.

WELCOME!!!!!

If the guns are now registered in your father's name, you will need to have them shipped to a NJ FFL and have a Pistol Purchase Permit for each handgun and an FPID card for the long guns. Keep in mind you cannot transfer more than one handgun in a 30 day period (OGAM) unless you apply for and are granted (which is likely) an exemption to the OGAM. If you have multiple handguns to bring over, go for an exemption.

WELCOME!!!!!

If the guns are now registered in your father's name, you will need to have them shipped to a NJ FFL and have a Pistol Purchase Permit for each handgun and an FPID card for the long guns. Keep in mind you cannot transfer more than one handgun in a 30 day period (OGAM) unless you apply for and are granted (which is likely) an exemption to the OGAM. If you have multiple handguns to bring over, go for an exemption.

Got it! This is very helpful.

So odd to see someone say that they are looking forward to NJ gun laws.  I'm originally a New Yorker and plan to move back sometime after school but am definitely not looking forward to those restrictions.  

Just FYI, you can buy long gun ammo without an FID in Jersey, just not handgun ammo.  I've heard of store employees asking for an FID before they even talk to you but in general, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you guys are looking for apartments with quick commute to the city, the Newport area of Jersey City, is pretty nice.  The path station there will get you to the City as quickly as possible.  Not a ton to do there but the neighborhood is commuter friendly and all the essentials (grocery stores, chinese food, liquor/beer) are available.

Welcome to Jersey.

So odd to see someone say that they are looking forward to NJ gun laws.  .

Sad isn't it.Lol, tells you how bad nyc gun laws are.

One last piece of info I would like to know. I hunt upstate NY and would like to continue this even after moving to NJ. What are the laws for living in NJ with a second home/cabin in NY and brining a gun there for purposes of hunting or home protection when I'm there?

I used to live in Montclair and took the bus into Manhattan every morning.   If you take the bus, where you live makes all the difference.  If you live up towards RT 3 the DeCamp 66 can get you to the Port in 30 minutes or less depending on traffic.  If you live down where I did near Nishuane park, the trip was about 55 minutes.  Of course I worked on 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, so that was another 17 minutes.

There is also the 33 line which runs a different route and again, depending on where you live, it can be 30 minutes or an hour.

There are I think 4 train stops in Montclair on the Boonton line, the one near Bloomfield is about 30 minutes into Penn Station, there is one at Wachung, one at Walnut street and then upper Montclair.  It's about 45 minutes from Upper montclair to Penn Station.   There is no available parking at these stations, as the waiting list is 10+ years.  Or it used to be anyway, maybe they did away with all that.  Walking distance would be preferable.

Montclair is a very "hoity toity" town full of liberals, greens, progressives and is not a place where you will find a neighbor interested in talking about guns.   The town has great restaurants,  and lots of festivals and whatnot where all the liberals get together to celebrate Christmas and join in solidarity with all the other liberals to feel better about themselves than Christians or just conservatives in general.   It's a town that is powered by it's own smug self satisfaction.  Not a bad place to live if you can get past all that.

If you live towards west Orange, you can often open your windows at night and hear the engines of stolen vehicles roaring though town as they make their way back to the hood.  If you live near a curve, like I did, have a camera at the ready.  You'll get a chance at least once a week to catch a picture of an abandoned stolen car.   The homeys are notoriously bad at going around curves at high rates of speed.

Welcome to NJ.  

Sad isn't it.Lol, tells you how bad nyc gun laws are.

One last piece of info I would like to know. I hunt upstate NY and would like to continue this even after moving to NJ. What are the laws for living in NJ with a second home/cabin in NY and brining a gun there for purposes of hunting or home protection when I'm there?

From what I know - As a NJ resident, you will not be able to bring handguns into NY state since NY law does not allow this for the reasons you are looking to do it for. Long guns are no problem, as long as they are NJ/NY legal.

Welcome. You may want to look at Westfield and Cranford. Both have train stations in town. Westfield is an express stop to and from NYC on the Raritan Valley line. Only one or two stops from Penn Station when you catch the express Both have a downtown area. Morristown in Morris County is nice as well and train station in town but will be longer commute.

Good luck with the house hunt! PM me know if you need a good real estate agent to help in your house hunt.

(...)

There are I think 4 train stops in Montclair on the Boonton line, the one near Bloomfield is about 30 minutes into Penn Station, there is one at Wachung, one at Walnut street and then upper Montclair.  It's about 45 minutes from Upper montclair to Penn Station.   There is no available parking at these stations, as the waiting list is 10+ years.  Or it used to be anyway, maybe they did away with all that.  Walking distance would be preferable.

Just fyi - http://www.bloomfieldparking.org/Garage.aspx

There is a new Garage opened a couple of months ago just across the street from Bloomfield Train Station.

Apparently there are monthly permits easily available so far, at least I even saw people on a Bloomfield Fest in September handing out flyers about this location and I think even selling those permits right there.

And in general I would fully support OP's idea about moving to Montclair. I live in Bloomfield and Montclair was actually on top of my list when I was looking for a place to live, but I was just unable to afford it without stretching too much. It's really a great place to live. "Where suburb meets the city" - I think that's their motto :-)