TheDon

Taking a prohibited person to the range

I often take my sons' friends to the range and teach them to shoot.  I have a standing rule, however, that their fathers must accompany them.  One of my son's friends wants to come shooting with us, but I know his father is a prohibited person. 

Is it OK for this guy to accompany us to the range as long as he stays hands-off all guns and ammo?  Or, does simple proximity make it a no-no?  My gutt tells me this is a no-go situation. 

can you define prohibited person?  Is he prohibited from owning?  I do not know of any law that says a person who can't own guns can't be around or shoot them

Under Federal law possession of a firearm by a convicted felon is a crime. He doesn't have to own it or shoot it merely possess it.

A felon can be "around" firearms but it should be a hands off proposition.

I think it depends on why the person is prohibited. If the person is a convicted felon then its hands off the guns. However my father is a prohibited person for mental health reasons(long story) but the NJ state police told me that it is ok for him to come to the range and shoot my guns he just cant own guns because he was forced to turn in his FID card. But take my info with caution as I know the state police have given out wrong info on firearms before and I am sure it will happen again.

Under Federal law possession of a firearm by a convicted felon is a crime. He doesn't have to own it or shoot it merely possess it.

That is what I was hoping. 

His conviction was the result of a plea agreement.  Rather than going to trial and risking a prison sentence, he plead guilty and received a suspended sentence.  This was more than 20 years ago.  He has been an upstanding citizen ever since. 

Keep in mind, if he gets shot by accident, he will be charged with possession of an ammunition component when he gets to the hospital ;)

Safer to send him to perform armed robbery on a liquor store. Gun charges are the first plead away, he'll do three months. Only law abiding citizens get sentenced to 7 years in jail over gun possession.

Keep in mind, if he gets shot by accident, he will be charged with possession of an ammunition component when he gets to the hospital ;)

Safer to send him to perform armed robbery on a liquor store. Gun charges are the first plead away, he'll do three months. Only law abiding citizens get sentenced to 7 years in jail over gun possession.

That's funny.  :-D

I won't tell if you don't.  He should go for an expungement. 20 years is a long time ago.

He's the father of one of my kid's friends.  That is the extent of our relationship.  But yes, if he were my friend, I would suggest that he is long overdue for expungement. 

It does not matter why the person is prohibited. AFAIK, if he is a prohibited person, then he may not POSSESS a firearm. Being near them is not possessing. Touching one belonging to someone else is.

Who would know? Lol. Seriously do cops frequent ur range? Even if they did they would need probable cause to run him in ncic and see he is prohibited. Just have him hang in the back and let him know he cant shoot or touch. I wouldnt sweat it to much. Hell gang bangers frequent my range and shoot for hours at a time... and no one give them crap.

Seriously. Either A. Have a possible  uncomfortable conversation before hand about how "him no touchy" or B. Bend your own parent rule. , C. Don't sweat it. But how strange would it be if his arresting officer was 2 ports over..........AWKWARD!

I either wouldn't bring the guy or not care. If you bring the guy to the range chances are he's gonna rattle off a round or 2. So if it's that serious don't bring him. Heck this post drew more attention to it then needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ok....still one could argue possess...lol

IMHO just have the "U NO Touchy" conversation in private PRIOR to the trip.  No big deal.  Being "around" something isn't a problem.  If it were, every time an Honor Guard with M-1's passed-by at a Parade, this guy would be eligible to get locked-up.  Let common sense prevail and just have a good time.

Give him Nappen's hotline number for the expungement, and your Good Deed is done for the day.......don't over-complicate your life.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. 

I did not see anyone bringing up constructive possession, so I'll presume that does not apply. 

I'll just talk to him and remind him that he is not allowed to touch anything. 

Don't you just love a government where you have to be so afraid of being charged with doing something wrong when you are doing nothing wrong. 

Tyranny! 

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

I did not see anyone bringing up constructive possession, so I'll presume that does not apply.

I'll just talk to him and remind him that he is not allowed to touch anything.

Don't you just love a government where you have to be so afraid of being charged with doing something wrong when you are doing nothing wrong.

Tyranny!

It's not tyranny, IMHO, to have a mechanism in place that prevents convicted felons from having access to guns. Personally, the fact that you know he is a convicted felon is reason enough not to bring him. Have a grown up conversation with the father, if you so choose, and advise him to get his record expunged. It should be a teachable moment for your son and his that actions have consequences and that the dumb shit you do when you're young follows you for years and years.

If, god forbid, there were an accident on the range (even one that doesn't involve your group, but involves the police), they're going to expose his record and that's just more headache than you deserve.

Sorry..if you give a gun to a prohibited person you are doing something wrong. That's not tyrranical..that's common sense. I am not doubting he is a good guy now but prohibited is prohibited. If its that important then try for expungement.

you could be friends with someone that is prohibited from something that happened over a decade before you even knew them.. 

Felonies cover the gamut from cold blooded murder to stealing beer.  But they do not typically give suspended sentences to murderers. 

I don't know him well, but I know that he has a good job and has raised two good kids.  I am not going to condescend to him for being stupid in his youth.

Felonies cover the gamut from cold blooded murder to stealing beer. But they do not typically give suspended sentences to murderers.

I don't know him well, but I know that he has a good job and has raised two good kids. I am not going to condescend to him for being stupid in his youth.

You don't have to condescend. Just don't take him to a gun range. What you call condescension was an alternative suggestion.

Nice guy? Good dad? Hooray.

The guy has a criminal record that includes a felony conviction. Protect your own liability. unlocked and loaded is "giving access" even if you say "no touchy"

You need to be the asshole here. You're the one who has the guns and the responsibility to secure them. It's not for you to decide that he's a nice enough guy that he shouldn't be prohibited. That's not your call.