zoid

Listing An Out of State Employer On Your Pistol Permit App

Hey guys, hoping you could help shed some light on a matter I am facing.

I recently switched jobs and I would rather not risk the local PD sending 

anything to my current job in regard to my applying for a purchase permit.

Note: I already have my FID, this is only for a PP.

I also have my own company with a partner and we are both considered

employee/owners.  But the company is based out of Maine.  So can I list

this as my employer?  And will this be an issue with the application?  

Otherwise I am going to have to have a very awkward conversation with

my mangers and I'd rather not go that route.  Though I don't even think

they mail anything for purchase permits.  Still, would rather not risk it.  

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

I listed my _foreign_ employer (yeah, it's kinda complicated, but all legal and consistent with IRS records, I state foreign company as a source of income there as well). Not sure if that was a reason of a long wait (most likely it wasn't) for my FID, but no questions were asked. They stated foreign office address on my P2Ps.

I doubt anyone even noticed that :-)

ADDED: And I have no idea if they tried to contact my employer, but I know for sure that they contacted both of my out-of-state references - first sending them questionnaires and then contacting them over the phone several months later, just before issuing me FID and P2Ps. They basically went through the same questions from the questionnaire, probably just to reconfirm that those guys exist not only in my vivid imagination.

I just got my FID card along with a pistol permit less then a month ago and my employer is in Virgina (I work as a government contractor so my employer is always changing). I had zero problems other then the wait time.

I always list self-employed and they have never contacted me or mailed me anything to check with "my manager".  There is no law that says you cannot have more than one employer, and nothing that says you have to list a "primary" employer.  If you want to come mow my lawn please feel free to list me as your employer (as another option) :)

I always list self-employed and they have never contacted me or mailed me anything to check with "my manager".  There is no law that says you cannot have more than one employer, and nothing that says you have to list a "primary" employer.  If you want to come mow my lawn please feel free to list me as your employer (as another option) :)

Howard!  ^^^^^THIS^^^^^ is the SAME answer I was going to type!  WELL DONE MY MAN!

Dave

Just put N/A.  You don't have to even be employed.

Not a good idea...

2C:39-10

c.tab.gifAny person who gives or causes to be given any false information, or signs a fictitious name or address, in applying for a firearms purchaser identification card, a permit to purchase a handgun, a permit to carry a handgun, a permit to possess a machine gun, a permit to possess an assault firearm, or in completing the certificate or any other instrument required by law in purchasing or otherwise acquiring delivery of any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machine gun, or assault firearm or any other firearm, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

Just sayin'

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob is correct you don't want to lie and say you are not employed if in fact you are.  BUT as has been said claiming your part-time job as your employer is not a lie as it is "AN" employer.  IF they want primary or largest source of income THEY need to say that, which they don't so you are on firm ground.

NA is "Not Avalable" or "Not Applicable". Putting that in a box is not a lie.

If you say unemployed but are, that is a lie. Not answering a question is not lying.

But it could be construed to be false information, as it does apply and the information is available. With your right to bear arms at stake, it's not the time to split semantic hairs.

But it could be construed to be false information, as it does apply and the information is available. With your right to bear arms at stake, it's not the time to split semantic hairs.

Yup.  "The truth, the *whole* truth, and nothing but the truth!"

Give em a copy of today's Nappen court ruling.

Totally irrelevant to what is being discussed. There is a field on the STS-033 for employment information. This is meant to be used to confirm employment - nothing else.

Just thinking, will the new law passed in NJ that has to do with firearm applicant privacy prohibit PDs from informing employers that you are applying for a firearm ? I've read the law a number of times and it seems as the law may cover this practice. They can just as easily verify employment without disclosing your application for a firearm.

Thoughts?

Just thinking, will the new law passed in NJ that has to do with firearm applicant privacy prohibit PDs from informing employers that you are applying for a firearm ? I've read the law a number of times and it seems as the law may cover this practice. They can just as easily verify employment without disclosing your application for a firearm.

Thoughts?

What new law? Are you referring to the court finding about additional documents or conditions? That really doesn't address the issue you raise.

Only in NJ do you have to take the police to court to get them to obey the law.

Thanks for all the replies.  Based on the above I am comfortable listing my business as my employer

and will proceed as such.  I don't even think they look at that except for the initial time you apply for an

FID.  

Thanks for all the replies.  Based on the above I am comfortable listing my business as my employer

and will proceed as such.  I don't even think they look at that except for the initial time you apply for an

FID.  

Well, not exactly. The "employer info." is printed on P2Ps  (i.e. your "occupation" and "employer name and address").  Not sure what good it does there, but...

In Denville, they send the same reference request form to my employer as well as to the two reference that I list. I find it irritating but my employer has no problem signing off.

They only ask for two references, and there's no problem with them being out of state. I had someone out of state on my first three applications.

Don't you know anyone else in NJ??? Anywhere?

IMHO I've always thought the Employer question was left over from the 1960's when people were applying to be security guards and needed a revolver for the job.  And it just may have stayed on the form because the form was never changed.

But all that being said, if you own your own business and have a tax ID number, you are self-employed.  I don't list that I'm in the National Guard and occasionally help out at my buddy's pizza place.

IMHO I've always thought the Employer question was left over from the 1960's when people were applying to be security guards and needed a revolver for the job.  And it just may have stayed on the form because the form was never changed.

But all that being said, if you own your own business and have a tax ID number, you are self-employed.  I don't list that I'm in the National Guard and occasionally help out at my buddy's pizza place.

I don't think asking for occupation and place of employment had anything to do with security guards. Most handgun purchases then, as now, were by people who were not LEOs or security guards. The statute permits a background investigation of sorts to get a FID or P2P. Occupation and employer are standard questions in a background investigation. If you get away with putting NA in those blocks fine but PDs would be within their rights to deny you if you fail to give that info. We can argue what race, sex, and phone number have to do with owning a firearm. I don't agree with the system but it is what it is until it is changed.

I guess I'm one of the people old enough to remember this but until the mid to late 70s the form also had a question where you had to state "purpose of firearm" for a handgun. "Targetshooting" was the standard answer. I bought a Bauer 25 and a PPK on permits where I listed "targetshooting" on the applications. As with every other "targetshooting" application I never heard anything about this.