Newtonian

Rifle in trunk, car. Why?

Sounds awesome but I'm still a little wary of throwing the Mossberg in the back of the jeep.

Evan Nappen did mention you could theoretically drive down the street with a shotgun hanging out your window as long as long as it is unloaded. He said he wouldn't recommend it though.

Sounds awesome but I'm still a little wary of throwing the Mossberg in the back of the jeep.

Why does it sound awesome to you, when in effect you can't do a goddamned thing with it?

How often are you driving around, with your hunting license and dayglow vest, and say to yourself, "Hmmm, I think I'll go do me some squirrel hunting"? 

Seems like no more than an opportunity to do a Ralph Kramden (Mmm-a, mmm-a) when you're asked, "Any weapons in the car?"

Why does it sound awesome to you, when in effect you can't do a goddamned thing with it?

How often are you driving around, with your hunting license and dayglow vest, and say to yourself, "Hmmm, I think I'll go do me some squirrel hunting"?

Seems like no more than an opportunity to do a Ralph Kramden (Mmm-a, mmm-a) when you're asked, "Any weapons in the car?"

Well like the one guy said better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it.

Well like the one guy said better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it.

Ahhh, but c'est ci la difference. Even if you NEED it you can't USE it. And even if you really, really need it, will you get to it in time?

I'm scouring my brain to conjure up a scenario where it would be preferable, regardless of what state you're in, to jump out of your car, uncase your AK-47, attach the mag, and start shooting rather than just driving like hell the fukc away.

Were I 35 years younger, well, maybe I could impress some broad by telling her I drive around with a gun in my trunk. But knowing the girls I dated back then, and with today's 911 + GPS technology, there's no doubt a swarm of cops would descend on me within minutes.

I'm not trying to start anything but what do you do when you see someone walking through a crowded park with two pistols? I've seen it. Luckily they were airsoft and I live in a small town and a cop was already there because school was letting out. But what if they weren't toys and what if he wasn't there. Let the guy just go on a rampage? That's one reason to have it in the trunk but that's my opinion. The only reason I never had one was because I'm a law abiding citizen and don't feel like going to prison for 10 years.

I don't. Yelling profanity and pointing them at people that don't need a gun pointed at them is a good reason. If the gun is holstered or the rifle is slung I wouldn't even look twice.

If I see a civilian (plain clothes) carrying a pistol or a rifle over his shoulder in the sate of NJ, the fook I wouldn't look twice, you kidding me?

You will see me walking the other as fast as I can.

To answer the ops question. During hunting season if I have time on my way home I can stop and hunt for a little.

If I'm near a range at lunch I can stop and shoot. A buddy calls up last minuet to do some shooting I can.

So while it isn't a big deal to some I have the freedom to stop and shoot when I want without having to drive out of my way and pick my stuff up and go back the way I came.

I kind asked about this in a topic a while ago.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/62808-hypothetical-situation/?view=findpost&p=801565

I'd feel anything I could do to stop an active shooter is something I'd have to do morally...and eff the consequences.  If that means using my car as a battering ram, a pocketknife if I think there's some kind of opportunity/chance, or the gun from my car.  I'm obviously not going to CCW/OC into a locked down mall to "help" the cops who already had control of the mall. like that guy did l a few months ago, but if there were someone actively targeting or shooting innocents, my inaction might mean minutes of that gunman being able to carry out an attack before the official first responders could get there.  I'd like to think I wouldn't just run away.  I hope to never find out how I'll react.

Since I cannot CCW here, then a rifle or shotgun in the trunk is an option I'd consider, and did do for a while.  I took the rifle out of the trunk before going to NYS for an event, and never put the gun back in the car - more because of the school zone issue than anything else.  It's not that I intentionally go to schools, but if something caused me to have to stop/deviate/turn around on school property, it could potentially cause serious problems for me.  Every single direct way I can leave my house has a school along the road - and my luck would be that's where I get the flat tire.  I've been weighing if that potential for issues is worth the slight chance I'd ever have to use the gun for a bug out or active shooter situation.

I wanted a AR-7 as a BOB/trunk gun for a while, but I like the idea of that folding carbine more and more as I think about it.  I may go that route in the future if I decide to put a gun back in the car.

Ahhh, but c'est ci la difference. Even if you NEED it you can't USE it. And even if you really, really need it, will you get to it in time?

I'm scouring my brain to conjure up a scenario where it would be preferable, regardless of what state you're in, to jump out of your car, uncase your AK-47, attach the mag, and start shooting rather than just driving like hell the fukc away.

Were I 35 years younger, well, maybe I could impress some broad by telling her I drive around with a gun in my trunk. But knowing the girls I dated back then, and with today's 911 + GPS technology, there's no doubt a swarm of cops would descend on me within minutes.

Uhm. Zombie invasion. C'mon get with it.

I kind asked about this in a topic a while ago.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/62808-hypothetical-situation/?view=findpost&p=801565

I'd feel anything I could do to stop an active shooter is something I'd have to do morally...and eff the consequences. If that means using my car as a battering ram, a pocketknife if I think there's some kind of opportunity/chance, or the gun from my car. I'm obviously not going to CCW/OC into a locked down mall to "help" the cops who already had control of the mall. like that guy did l a few months ago, but if there were someone actively targeting or shooting innocents, my inaction might mean minutes of that gunman being able to carry out an attack before the official first responders could get there. I'd like to think I wouldn't just run away. I hope to never find out how I'll react.

Since I cannot CCW here, then a rifle or shotgun in the trunk is an option I'd consider, and did do for a while. I took the rifle out of the trunk before going to NYS for an event, and never put the gun back in the car - more because of the school zone issue than anything else. It's not that I intentionally go to schools, but if something caused me to have to stop/deviate/turn around on school property, it could potentially cause serious problems for me. Every single direct way I can leave my house has a school along the road - and my luck would be that's where I get the flat tire. I've been weighing if that potential for issues is worth the slight chance I'd ever have to use the gun for a bug out or active shooter situation.

I wanted a AR-7 as a BOB/trunk gun for a while, but I like the idea of that folding carbine more and more as I think about it. I may go that route in the future if I decide to put a gun back in the car.

You sir have your head screwed on right. That's what i was getting at but was treated like an ass when I bring it up.

-If you're not yet in your car, popping the trunk and slapping in a mag may often be faster than getting you and yours in to the car and driving away.

-If the car becomes disabled in a shady or desolate area, I'd move the rifle to the inside of the car (discreetly concealed in a large duffle bag) with mag handy until help arrives. (I'd be taking out of the car anyway if it's getting towed or left overnight).

-If stranded by weather, far from help, a gun might be the difference maker.

Etc.

Again, dealing with the law afterwards is preferable to burying your loved ones it they having to bury you.

So... Are we allowed to have magazines loaded, but not in a gun? I've been under the impression that the magazine having ammo in it could be construed as being "loaded" as the mag is "part of the gun"...

Is this not true?

Otherwise, I can't imagine any long gun being useful in the amount of time it takes to load a magazine

So... Are we allowed to have magazines loaded, but not in a gun? I've been under the impression that the magazine having ammo in it could be construed as being "loaded" as the mag is "part of the gun"...

Is this not true?

Otherwise, I can't imagine any long gun being useful in the amount of time it takes to load a magazine

You can possess loaded magazines with FMJ ammo (no hollowpoints), but I don't remember if they can be in the mag well.

Is this not true?

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/66070-loaded-mag/

The knowledge gained from this thread is not about the time it takes to get to your gun to be effective nor is about the odds you would use it someday

The knowledge is you can do it whenever you feel necessary:

1. Hunter scenario above

2. Taking a ride somewhere extremely unknown where maybe you don't feel safe (cabin in woods etc)

3. Times of social unrest for example the gas lines crisis during Sandy. Crime was rampant

So the the issue is not "would you use it?". The knowledge is you can drive with it and not have to worry about getting arrested because of your choice to do it

Just throwing this out there for you Space Shuttle Door Gunners. Remington 7600 30-06 pump action carbine, 150g Nosler BT's / Soft Points, ATI adjustable stock. 10 round mags (available 'cheap'). Very close to accuracy as a stock 700 (not a mod'ed precision one). Even with the OEM stock, doesn't give the appearance of a self-guided baby killer. Also, one of the most popular hunting rifles in the deep woods of the east coast. $25 for a rail and you'd be surprised at what you can have in an innocent little package. A $400 Cheapo Gen 1 Yukon Night Scope is pretty decent for some night shooting out to about 80 yards.

If you reload....125 Nosler's loaded a little beyond a 762x39 energy, allows for wicked fast follow up shots via a pump action with a decent red dot on it..just sayin.

PS - $65 for a nice trigger job. :gaming:

Why do you automatically assume that someone walking around with a gun is a threat?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Let's just say the first time I ever went to your place in Jersey and saw you walk out of your house with a gun on your hip, I was a tad bit nervous.......... Except for on-duty LEO's, I had never seen that before. I knew you knew I was coming to pickup a gun, and I told you who I was as you approached just to be sure!

Still remember all those carpenter bees too. I should have brought a tennis racquet with me and had some fun!  :)  I felt bad for your log cabin though, one day I'd like to own one.