stevek

OK, I read the stickys, but would like some reassurance if possible….

OK, I read the stickys, but would like some reassurance if possible. My wife and I are previous residents of Nj, and both have our old FOID cards, as well as numerous CCW permits from multiple states (we know they are no good in NJ) Our kids and grandkids are still in NJ, and we reluctantly return to NJ to see them regularly. I called the NJSP today, and the Sgt,  told me that transport of unloaded, locked, and cased handguns would be permitted from our house to our sons in NJ without an out-of-state FOID. We just don't want to be disarmed for the whole trip. Anybody have any reason to doubt this?

Any help would be appreciated...

I tend to be a bit more cavalier in regards to NJ laws than Nickjc but some questions I have are.

Do you still own the residence where you old FID's is addressed to?

Is your family living at that residence?

Are you staying with them when you visit?

Are your firearms,ammo and mags NJ compliant?

as you can see there are a bit of questions that have to be answered before even a semi credible answer can be offered.... but I would err on the side of safety and go along with Nickjc on this one.

OK, I read the stickys, but would like some reassurance if possible. My wife and I are previous residents of Nj, and both have our old FOID cards, as well as numerous CCW permits from multiple states (we know they are no good in NJ) Our kids and grandkids are still in NJ, and we reluctantly return to NJ to see them regularly. I called the NJSP today, and the Sgt,  told me that transport of unloaded, locked, and cased handguns would be permitted from our house to our sons in NJ without an out-of-state FOID. We just don't want to be disarmed for the whole trip. Anybody have any reason to doubt this?

Any help would be appreciated...

There's no such thing as a NJ FOID. FOID is an Illinois thing. We have Firearm purchaser ID cards.

As for carrying the guns into NJ? You can only carry them to a gunsmith for purposes of repair, to an authorized target range, or to your home or place of business. Since you're not going to any of those places I would say don't bring your guns here. 

It appears that since you left NJ you forgot what the law says. Possession of any firearm is prohibited in NJ, except at exempt locations, and transit directly to and from those exempt locations. See Ryan's post above.

Your son's house in NJ is NOT one of those exempt locations. So having possession of your handgun there would be illegal regardless of what state you reside in or what paperwork you have.

If you have a NJ residence that you own you could legally possess your handgun there, with or without an FID. That is the one other exempt location.

Brian Atken also got an opinion in advance from the NJSP. Then he was arrested.

I would say don't bring a gun here either. Horrible idea. Even if you are following every law we have here to the letter, if you got stopped for any reason and the gun was discovered you would be treated as a criminal until you could prove your innocence. I also wouldn't advise any legal advice from a phone call to the State police, unless they will put what they tell you in writing. Bringing a firearm into this state just isn't worth the risk.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I tend to be a bit more cavalier in regards to NJ laws than Nickjc but some questions I have are.

Do you still own the residence where you old FID's is addressed to? No

Is your family living at that residence? No

Are you staying with them when you visit? Staying at our sons place

Are your firearms,ammo and mags NJ compliant? Yes

as you can see there are a bit of questions that have to be answered before even a semi credible answer can be offered.... but I would err on the side of safety and go along with Nickjc on this one.

Do you still own the residence where you old FID's is addressed to? No

Is your family living at that residence? No

Are you staying with them when you visit? Staying at our sons place

Are your firearms,ammo and mags NJ compliant? Yes

...then leave them home...

Like its been said, you have to be traveling TO an approved place.  You families home is NOT an approved place.  If you were just passing through NJ, then yes, unloaded in the trunk is fine, but staying here, no you cannot have them with you.

Ah, now we remember some of the reasons we couldn't wait to move back to America…so to see our kids and grandkids, we have to be disarmed for a seven hour drive. A high price to pay, but we will pay it.

Having your firearm locked in the the trunk separate from the ammo is the same exact thing as being disarmed in my opinion

Its not like a criminal is going to let you unlock your gun, load the ammo in the magazine, insert said magazine then chamber a round

And if you wanted it for protection in your sons house well that's not how nj sees it, if you used your gun in your sons house for protection you'll be looking at some serious jail time

Having your firearm locked in the the trunk separate from the ammo is the same exact thing as being disarmed in my opinion

Its not like a criminal is going to let you unlock your gun, load the ammo in the magazine, insert said magazine then chamber a round

And if you wanted it for protection in your sons house well that's not how nj sees it, if you used your gun in your sons house for protection you'll be looking at some serious jail time

We could carry until we hit the NJ border. Don't need them in my son's house as he has his FID, and has his firearms. I am more concerned with the trip itself.

Just to reiterate what others have said (and it seems you have already heeded this), leave them home.  You would not be legally bringing them into the state.  The exemptions for destinations within the state do not include your son's house, unless your son is a qualified gunsmith.  Same reason I didn't bother bringing my guns to my fathers house in NY, because technically it would not be legal, even though we were going to go to a range, I would have tad to go to his house first, and that is a crime. 

Welcome back to NJ!  lol

Just to reiterate what others have said (and it seems you have already heeded this), leave them home.  You would not be legally bringing them into the state.  The exemptions for destinations within the state do not include your son's house, unless your son is a qualified gunsmith.  Same reason I didn't bother bringing my guns to my fathers house in NY, because technically it would not be legal, even though we were going to go to a range, I would have tad to go to his house first, and that is a crime. 

Welcome back to NJ!  lol

And what's even more a problem is that I can't bring a guest to the range with me unless that guest comes to my place first, we go to the range, we go back to my place, and then they guest goes home form my place! :facepalm:  I'd love to take my nephew to a "shotgun shootout" to give him some experience being around real guns. And he lives no more than 5 miles from CWA (I live 25 miles from it).  But I can't stop to pick him up/drop him off!

Sheesh! :mad:

Arnold that only applies to handguns,

And what's even more a problem is that I can't bring a guest to the range with me unless that guest comes to my place first, we go to the range, we go back to my place, and then they guest goes home form my place! :facepalm:  I'd love to take my nephew to a "shotgun shootout" to give him some experience being around real guns. And he lives no more than 5 miles from CWA (I live 25 miles from it).  But I can't stop to pick him up/drop him off!

Sheesh! :mad:

Arnold that only applies to handguns,

That's right.... My bad.... Maybe I'll consider it.  But getting his mom to cooperate might be a bit of a challenge.

Hmmph! If they are successful with these bans on .22 rifles, my nephew won't ever get to take legal possession of his shiny new .22 lever action rifle his grandmother bought him (she has to hold it until he turns 18). :facepalm:

That's right.... My bad.... Maybe I'll consider it.  But getting his mom to cooperate might be a bit of a challenge.

Hmmph! If they are successful with these bans on .22 rifles, my nephew won't ever get to take legal possession of his shiny new .22 lever action rifle his grandmother bought him (she has to hold it until he turns 18). :facepalm:

lever action is not included, only semi auto w/ fixed magazines

Only semi auto, fixed or detached mag.

lever action is not included, only semi auto w/ fixed magazines

I'm aware that's the scope of A2006, but I thought I saw a thread earlier today regarding a "new" initiative. That is, "all .22 rifles."  I'll see if I can find it, and post an edit to this post.

We could carry until we hit the NJ border. Don't need them in my son's house as he has his FID, and has his firearms. I am more concerned with the trip itself.

maybe you could stop before the border of occupied America (AKA NJ) someplace, and deposit your firearm in a secure locker at a train station or bus depot? Most ski resorts also have locker banks. And pick it back up on the way back home. I know some ranges in PA rent lockers. I may or may not have one myself at a range (out of state) with accessories that are deemed "evil" in this state. Just another option that may help you feel a little safer during your trip. Do some research.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Okay. Here is my take on this.

The OP still has a NJ FPID card. THE ADDRESS DOES NOT MATTER. As long as he is not a prohibited person, it is still valid. He would break no laws in using it. That is why the trooper told him that he may transport them into the state. IMO, he should leave the handguns home and only bring unloaded long guns.

I have traveled with unloaded long guns (my CX4) inside the gun bag it came in, plus loaded mags in the outer compartment of the bag. While I can't have it immediately ready to use, I can have it ready pretty darn fast. As long as someone doesn't walk-up and pull a gun on me, I will have enough time to be ready.......... Better than having nothing and is perfectly legal to do it this way. 

Okay. Here is my take on this.

The OP still has a NJ FPID card. THE ADDRESS DOES NOT MATTER. As long as he is not a prohibited person, it is still valid. He would break no laws in using it. That is why the trooper told him that he may transport them into the state. IMO, he should leave the handguns home and only bring unloaded long guns.

Damn that's ballsy...even for me and I transport with loaded mags {whole different thread} but by carrying only unloaded long guns would largely defeat the OP's purpose of wanting it primarily for protection during the drive.

maybe you could stop before the border of occupied America (AKA NJ) someplace, and deposit your firearm in a secure locker at a train station or bus depot? Most ski resorts also have locker banks. And pick it back up on the way back home. I know some ranges in PA rent lockers. I may or may not have one myself at a range (out of state) with accessories that are deemed "evil" in this state. Just another option that may help you feel a little safer during your trip. Do some research. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

^^^BEST ANSWER ON THIS THREAD!!

Secure the weapon(s) in a Free State, then cross the border into the PRNJ!  Use a Range Locker OR drop them off at a PA Gunsmith for a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjustment) and pick them up after leaving NJ.  

OR, call a Company who specializes in storage that's located in NJ and drive your hand guns DIRECTLY there (covered by both FOPA and NJ Laws since they're a FFL), then proceed after you're neutered to your Son's house.

Viola, you're not disarmed for the entire road trip!!!!!!!!!!

Check-out renting a small locker at:  Firearms Support and Storage  https://firearmssupportandstorage.com  .  They're in Whippany, NJ and they specialize in storage options,  NJSP approved, and a FFL.  Give them a call to see what peace of mind costs these days.......

I ought to get PAID for this shit, lol!

Have a GREAT, SAFE trip!

Dave

Shootist