FishHunter

How to trade guns without getting ripped off?

I have a pistol which another gent is willing to take in trade for his pistol.

Can not do a FTF and I would not want to - I am strictly FFL for hand guns and anything from out of state.

How could the swap be accomplished without putting either of us at risk of getting ripped off?

Go to an FFL and do the transfer there. Pay the fee.

You give gun to FFL....FFL does NICS check and gives gun to buyer.

What do you mean by ripped off?

Are you implying that the guys trade may defective, damaged, or worn?

When at said FFL you inspect the item before proceeding with the transfer. Just by showing up at the FFL doesn't make you bound to have to finish the trade. If you don't like what you see, then move on.

Also what items are you trading, a little more info will help us if either one of yous is getting shafted based on value

Seeing you're a member at OBRPC, do the transaction there at the indoor range. You're on-camera, it is legal, and you can have a friend there to inspect the other persons gun. Heck, you can both on the range and put a few rounds through them.

I should have included that we are not in the same state.

Local trades are easy, just meet at an ffl location/store and get the deal done.

What do you do if the other person is 300 miles away?

Sending my gun to his FFL sounds ok but his FFL is not going to make sure that I get the gun in NJ.

Only thing I can come up with is using a third party escrow service.

You each put up some value. Guns get shipped, value gets returned once both parties say they are happy. Costs too much for most transactions however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This works best for things you just cannot get.  If you can get it, locally, then you really would want to go that route. After paying shipping, and both FFLs, and taking a risk on all of it, you really won't be saving much at all. 

Well, since you are not in the same state, my idea is a no-go.

I have bought plenty of guns via Gun Broker and a few through Guns America.

No easy answer for you here. Sell your gun to whomever you like, find another you like via an FFL, local face to face, or trustworthy internet site.

I traded with someone i never met before in my life... I had my pa ffl call his nj ffl and verify with each that the guns were there and being shipped.... An ffl is a licensed dealer he is not likely going to screw you to aid in some shady trade... Now I doubt he will worry about condition and all that... But I'm sure he will make sure the gun is shipped...

I should have included that we are not in the same state.

Local trades are easy, just meet at an ffl location/store and get the deal done.

What do you do if the other person is 300 miles away?

Sending my gun to his FFL sounds ok but his FFL is not going to make sure that I get the gun in NJ.

In that case FTF isnt an option ANYWAY...you are required by Federal law to go through an FFL, or you are committing a Felony.

I traded with someone i never met before in my life... I had my pa ffl call his nj ffl and verify with each that the guns were there and being shipped.... An ffl is a licensed dealer he is not likely going to screw you to aid in some shady trade... Now I doubt he will worry about condition and all that... But I'm sure he will make sure the gun is shipped...

OP, this sounds like the right way to go.

Both drop off at respective FFL's Monday, they confirm and ship to each other Tuesday, by weeks end you both have your guns.

(At which time you discover "box" in 'only put one box downrange' actually meant pallet. Of reloads.)

Just kidding. Go with Vlad's advice and good luck.