Taipan

Traveling to Range Together, or, how many felonies?

One picks the other up on the way to the range. It's called the stop-worrying-so-much exemption.

This is the answer. I have been shooting in NJ for over 45 years. I have never heard of anyone being arrested going to or coming from a range because any deviation from their journey was not reasonable. I challenge anyone to show me a case where someone was arrested for this.

Yes, the law is stupid as it is written. I would like to see where in the law it says you have to crap your pants, run out of gas, or can't stop for coffee enroute as all the chicken little people you can be arrested for. All this moaning and bitching enabled the Sweeney crowd to "do us a favor" and write a law defining where you can stop. We were better off with the current law

Stupid laws deserve to be ignored.  

Its the only way to survive living in New Jersey...just remember "you have the right to remain silent..."

I work with a detective and I asked him this question. He said he and every other LEO he has talked this over with said they would not hit you for this. He said if he pulled me over leaving a restaurant or mall parking lot then id have some explaining to do. He told me just pick them up leave the car running and don't get out. Always make sure you are with the vehicle. The way the law is written is just plain stupid. Such deviations that are reasonable under the circumstances would be... Well how the hell else do I pick up my friend. I think picking them up is perfectly reasonable under these circumstances.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, the law is stupid as it is written. I would like to see where in the law it says you have to crap your pants, run out of gas, or can't stop for coffee enroute as all the chicken little people you can be arrested for. All this moaning and bitching enabled the Sweeney crowd to "do us a favor" and write a law defining where you can stop. We were better off with the current law

^shaking head yes in agreement.

Just because no one has been hit with this does not mean it can't or won't be enforced. There is a penny ante drug dealer facing 20 years for selling to a dipshit that OD'd based on a 1986 law that has been rarely used.

When some cop has a hard on for you or is having a bad day or whatever, and pops you on this law, do you think you could go in front of a judge and say, "yes I know the law and yes I broke it but no one gets in trouble so I should be not guilty"?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If the law said directly to and from the range and didn't include the deviations that are reasonably necessary under the circumstances then the law is not clear. It leaves myself, the cop and the judge to decided what we all believe are reasonably necessary deviations. I had my wiper blade fly off on the way to the range in the rain one day. I kept driving because I didnt want to have to go to a store and leave my car with a gun inside unattended.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.   I got the opinions that I was looking for, ie: the 'legal' answer and the 'in practice' answer.  

I assume the analysis is different, and there are no problems, if the driver who is picking up a friend on the way is only taking long guns?

I attempt to replace what I shoot so my "reasonable deviation" regularly takes me to a Dick''s on the way to the range or on the way back on occasion,

The convenient Dunkin Donuts and Deli is just some of my other "Reasonable Deviations".

Look Gentlemen...In our wonderful state just about anything is indeed possible when transporting firearms although some of the hypothetical scenarios border on the absolute ridiculous and paranoid or just bored ramblings to boost post count.Transport as you see fit,ammo and firearms in separate vehicles with finger on Nappen's number on speed dial with your flashers on if it makes you happy........I much prefer to live not cower....takes too much energy.

Stupid laws deserve to be ignored.  

Its the only way to survive living in New Jersey...just remember "you have the right to remain silent..."

I'm not talking about ignoring the law. I'm talking about what is reasonable.

Just because no one has been hit with this does not mean it can't or won't be enforced. There is a penny ante drug dealer facing 20 years for selling to a dipshit that OD'd based on a 1986 law that has been rarely used.When some cop has a hard on for you or is having a bad day or whatever, and pops you on this law, do you think you could go in front of a judge and say, "yes I know the law and yes I broke it but no one gets in trouble so I should be not guilty"?Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Police would charge everyone who supplied drugs to someone who overdosed if they could find them. Last I knew the policy was not to charge people who overdosed with being under the influence. There is no incentive for the person who overdosed to give up their source. Besides, all many drug users could tell you is I got it from the guy on the corner of Broad and Main from the guy in the blue hat.

What did you do to give the cop a hard on for you? Why did he stop you in the first place? Contrary to what many think most cops are not out there to screw with people. That's been discussed frequently.

If the law said directly to and from the range and didn't include the deviations that are reasonably necessary under the circumstances then the law is not clear. It leaves myself, the cop and the judge to decided what we all believe are reasonably necessary deviations. I had my wiper blade fly off on the way to the range in the rain one day. I kept driving because I didnt want to have to go to a store and leave my car with a gun inside unattended. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stopping at Auto Zone to get a new wiper blade so you can safely drive in the rain seems pretty reasonable. If its the drivers side its required by law. What should you do if your car breaks down? Push it home? The law says reasonable not required or necessary as those things are covered by reasonable. There are many things that are reasonable. Carpooling to save gas and ease congestion is reasonable. Stopping to get a coffee or soda is reasonable. Stopping for a few beers is not.

Thanks for the replies.   I got the opinions that I was looking for, ie: the 'legal' answer and the 'in practice' answer.  

I assume the analysis is different, and there are no problems, if the driver who is picking up a friend on the way is only taking long guns?

If you have long guns and you both have NJFID cards and the guns are properly situated drive anywhere you want.

This is the answer. I have been shooting in NJ for over 45 years. I have never heard of anyone being arrested going to or coming from a range because any deviation from their journey was not reasonable. I challenge anyone to show me a case where someone was arrested for this.

Agreed, accept the last sentence.  There shouldn't even be such an obviously stupid law.

In the past I have done a variation on this. I met a couple of guys at SCFGPA and we car pooled to Hellertown.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

^^You're all meeting at an EXEMPTED location--a gun range, lol, so you could stuff 100 hand guns, unloaded, NO trigger locks, NO gun rugs or cases or shooting bags, into a car's trunk and slam the deck lid shut and the guns are GTG anywhere in NJ except a Military Base, School or other Federal facility (post office parking lot, etc.).  Split-open a case or two of ammo and pour it on top of the hand guns if you like!  

Take them across the state line and FOPA kicks-in and now ya hafta have them cased or rugged w/ ammo stored separately.

Yes I'm being ABSURD, but you KNEW that already, lol!

I posted this for the Tin Foil Hat Crowd, lol!

I'm with Griz.  I stop for food, soft drinks, bathroom, and everything else that seems reasonable.  For Christ's sake, whatcha supposed to do with a flat?  Drive on it till the tire burns off and you have to piss on the wheel to cool it off to change it when ya get home?  LOL, pass that Tin Foil Hat!

Lock and LOAD and keep yer nose clean!

Dave

Just because no one has been hit with this does not mean it can't or won't be enforced.

Nobody actually established that nobody has been hit with it.

A cop said the equivalent of, "If you shoot somebody on your block just drag them inside your front door and everything will be fine."

^^You're all meeting at an EXEMPTED location--a gun range, lol, so you could stuff 100 hand guns, unloaded, NO trigger locks, NO gun rugs or cases or shooting bags, into a car's trunk and slam the deck lid shut and the guns are GTG anywhere in NJ except a Military Base, School or other Federal facility (post office parking lot, etc.).  Split-open a case or two of ammo and pour it on top of the hand guns if you like!  

Take them across the state line and FOPA kicks-in and now ya hafta have them cased or rugged w/ ammo stored separately.

I'm with Griz.  I stop for food, soft drinks, bathroom, and everything else that seems reasonable.  For Christ's sake, whatcha supposed to do with a flat?  Drive on it till the tire burns off and you have to piss on the wheel to cool it off to change it when ya get home?  LOL, pass that Tin Foil Hat!

Dave

You cant fit 100 guns in a trunk Dave. ( I feel a bizarre challenge coming on)

^^You're all meeting at an EXEMPTED location--a gun range, lol, so you could stuff 100 hand guns, unloaded, NO trigger locks, NO gun rugs or cases or shooting bags, into a car's trunk and slam the deck lid shut and the guns are GTG anywhere in NJ except a Military Base, School or other Federal facility (post office parking lot, etc.). Split-open a case or two of ammo and pour it on top of the hand guns if you like!

I'm with Griz. I stop for food, soft drinks, bathroom, and everything else that seems reasonable. For Christ's sake, whatcha supposed to do with a flat? Drive on it till the tire burns off and you have to piss on the wheel to cool it off to change it when ya get home? LOL, pass that Tin Foil Hat!

Dave

The bizarre thing is NOTHING happened; we were not stopped by the police, we were not searched, we were not detained, we were not even forced to stay at a Holiday Inn Express. We did not invoke any legal defense of anything.

BTW FOPA was not needed because our method of transportation was legal in both NJ and PA (unloaded & cased to/from range).

You cant fit 100 guns in a trunk Dave. ( I feel a bizarre challenge coming on)

Hahaha!  Already did the 4-bodies in the trunk skit, so let Jackie know I might need a little help next month at the BBQ.  She'll have to "lend me some" since I don't own that many.  100 hand guns in a Grand Marquis' trunk would leave ROOOOOM to spare!  Maybe even enough for Pete to climb-in and drool, lol!

Too funny!

Hahaha!  Already did the 4-bodies in the trunk skit, so let Jackie know I might need a little help next month at the BBQ.  She'll have to "lend me some" since I don't own that many.  100 hand guns in a Grand Marquis' trunk would leave ROOOOOM to spare!  Maybe even enough for Pete to climb-in and drool, lol!

Too funny!

Ill ask her if she has any good digs coming up. Clown car gun and dead body challenge accepted.

The bizarre thing is NOTHING happened; we were not stopped by the police, we were not searched, we were not detained, we were not even forced to stay at a Holiday Inn Express. We did not invoke any legal defense of anything.

BTW FOPA was not needed because our method of transportation was legal in both NJ and PA (unloaded & cased to/from range).

^^^^EXACTLY!

And no Black Helicopters were circling your ride either!  It's amazin' what some folks write about.  If they bought a range membership and got mentored by the likes of us, it would be the BEST money they've ever spent, lol!