Recon Racoon

Hypothetical question/scenario

Ok, this is something that I've been wondering about for a while. What would the ramifications be for shooting a dog that is attacking a child, or other adult (I'm talking full on mauling and with no intervention the victim might die).

Scenario:

You're home in your kitchen making lunch one day. You happen to hear a child crying for help and then hear a dog snarling at the child trying to chew his face off. Do you intervene? If so, how? If not what do you do to ensure that help arrives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares. Shoot that thing. Deal with it afterwards. I'd like to think any prosecutor with a pea sized brain wouldn't push a case on someone who saved a child's life

brother u are soooooo wrong on this one !!!

Trust me they don't care why u did it and who u saved, if they can put u away, they will .....

you are taking a far bigger chance shooting a dog that is actively struggling with an individual.. a totally unpredictable animal that can move in any direction at any moment.. one second you have a solid hold on the dog.. and as you squeeze the dog moves and now you are pointed directly at the victims face... so now instead of being bitten and hurt severely.. the person has a far larger problem.. and that is being dead.. 

As long as the animal is actively attacking a person or domestic/livestock animal on your own property you are ok to shoot but as soon as the animal has stopped the attack you can not shoot it. In your situation that you describe I would grab a pistol and run out and get in between the attacking animal and the victim, If the animal attacks me it dies plain and simple. Majority of the time when an attacking animal is challenged it will run away not all the time though. I would not try and shoot an animal that was attacking anything from less than point blank distances for fear of shooting the victim. Realistically a bat would probably be more effective. Smash a dog in its hip with a bat as hard as you can and the attack will stop and its not going to be able to move. If you don't want to put your self at risk call the cops that's about all you can do without putting your self in harms way  

Well I dont have a bat in my house.  And if something like this does occur I'm not going to the basement and dig through to see what weapon I could muster up.   I'd probably grab my handgun, run over and try to get the dog off, then decide the best course of action from there.  If its to bury a round or two into the dog then so be it. 

law does not say that you can shoot it just humanely destroy it. One of the acceptable methods of euthanasia approved by the AVA is gun shot to the brain in NJ. Shooting a dog in PA is not an approved method of euthanasia Go figure 

I agree if they are cool with defending animals then I am confident its ok to defend people too. But like I said I think a blunt object like a bat or something similar would be as effective and allot safer to the victim than a bullet. No animal can do anything with a broken hip and the hip is almost always exposed when they are attacking something. Walk up behind it and go for a home run. 

That's the thing. I don't think I'd ever be able to live with my self if I didn't try to save the person being attacked. Especially if it was a child. I'd rather have peace of mind about doing the right thing, and face some kind of punishment than knowing I could have done something to save the child and live with a guilty conscience.

Are you a Man of Action or merely a PUSSY?  Do you freeze like a deer in the headlights?

Screw the phone, I'll call AFTER I've done what I can.  All the Cops are good for in this instance is to do the paperwork anyway...........so what's another minute or two??

I have a BAT, a set of BALLS and a GUN, so I'll get the job done!  My nephew was the victim of a dog attack.  He needed plastic surgery after 1/2 an ear was chewed-off.  I've lived through the outcome of doing nothing (I wasn't around when it took place!).  So I'll always do what ever I can to help!

That's the thing. I don't think I'd ever be able to live with my self if I didn't try to save the person being attacked. Especially if it was a child. I'd rather have peace of mind about doing the right thing, and face some kind of punishment than knowing I could have done something to save the child and live with a guilty conscience.

Like any true HD/SD scenario.... Better to be judged by 12 than carried (or the victim be carried) by 6.