CMJeepster

ARTICLE: "Just 1 in 3 New Jerseyans plan to stay put for retirement"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/06/09/just-1-in-3-new-jerseyans-plan-to-stay-put-for-retirement/

------

Personally, I've got about 30 years until retirement but don't plan to stay here any longer than necessary.  My wife is probably never going to want to relocate as she's a born and raised Jersey Girl.  I, on the other hand, being a transplant, can't see myself staying here full-time after I retire.  Two long-time coworkers recently retired and both got out of here as soon as they could.  One went south and the other will be splitting time between NY and SC.  While this state has it's advantages (like being between two major metropolitan areas and having the benefits that that brings, access to the shore, etc.), is there a reason to actually stay here?  Just curious...

I'm getting close to retirement, and I'm definitely giving serious thought to relocating, even though I've been from the NY/NJ area my whole life.

SC is looking good to me as well Nick.  Just got back from a few days in Charleston and the surrounding area, and we spoke with lots of people who

had relocated there from the north.

Interesting in the article where they discuss the reasons people are considering leaving, no one mentioned "Better gun laws," which would certainly have an influence on most of us.

Interesting in the article where they discuss the reasons people are considering leaving, no one mentioned "Better gun laws," which would certainly have an influence on most of us.

I thought the same thing and then realized that it's not an issue to the majority of folks in this state...  Or the question wasn't asked in the poll.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/06/09/just-1-in-3-new-jerseyans-plan-to-stay-put-for-retirement/

------

Personally, I've got about 30 years until retirement but don't plan to stay here any longer than necessary.  My wife is probably never going to want to relocate as she's a born and raised Jersey Girl.  I, on the other hand, being a transplant, can't see myself staying here full-time after I retire.  Two long-time coworkers recently retired and both got out of here as soon as they could.  One went south and the other will be splitting time between NY and SC.  While this state has it's advantages (like being between two major metropolitan areas and having the benefits that that brings, access to the shore, etc.), is there a reason to actually stay here?  Just curious...

My wife and I are the exact opposite...she's the Connecticut Yankee, and I am the born/bred Jersey boy.  We already have the smaller "retirement-size" house, a nice piece of land in the middle of South Jersey that's back and away a bit from the hustle, bustle, and congestion (but not TOO far) for her, a barn for her horses, state ground with trails to ride almost at our doorstep, and taxes that aren't TOO bad, all considered. 

But we are both growing tired of the continual actions of the NJ "Nanny" state, with its perchant to create a law for everything under the sun, and slowly getting bled dry by the endless laws/taxes/user fees/etc and the higher prices for everything that come along with it.  Even with all the above that's going for us, location-wise, she is set on leaving NJ upon my retirement (in the not-so-distant-future), but heading North, not South.  (Remember the Connecticut Yankee bit?  She's as far south as she will go!)  Personally, I feel like I'm being run out of here...abandoned by the home of my birth!

It used to be that top companies in rural areas outside of NJ always had jobs to offer but couldn't compete with the wages you get here in the North East.  That has been changing over the last several years to the point where companies in PA, NC, and SC are offering as much if not more for the same jobs here in NJ.

It is just a matter of time before a critical mass of highly trained, highly educated and experienced labor moves out of stare and all we are left with are service sector and public employment.  Just look around, what kind of businesses are being built in NJ?  Looks like a bunch of Wawa's and drug stores, no real industry.

I would move in a heartbeat if I could, and I will as soon as I find something.  I already pay over $17K a year in property taxes and my kids go to private school, that is just not sustainable.

I'm out as soon as i rehab my house and get it rented. 2 years at the very most and i wont miss one thing about this state. Highest rate of anything and everything thats bad for you or seperates you from your hard earned money. Phuck NJ and majority (not all new jerseyans)of self centered whats in it for me rude inconsiderate aholes  in it.

10 years 2 months 5 days to retirement and I will be splitting my time between a warm free state and my camp in the Adirondacks. Jersey house will be sold and I'll never look back.

It used to be that top companies in rural areas outside of NJ always had jobs to offer but couldn't compete with the wages you get here in the North East.  That has been changing over the last several years to the point where companies in PA, NC, and SC are offering as much if not more for the same jobs here in NJ.

I don't know what industry you are in, but in my industry, wages in the NJ/NYC are 3-5x (yes, 200-500%) higher than everyplace else (except possibly San Francisco, where the cost of living and nanny-statestness is even higher).

I'm 27 and nowhere near retirement. That being said, I can't wait to get out.

Trying to transfer down to our Nashville, TN office... I can effectively double my income based on lower cost of living and live in a free state after all!

I don't know what industry you are in, but in my industry, wages in the NJ/NYC are 3-5x (yes, 200-500%) higher than everyplace else (except possibly San Francisco, where the cost of living and nanny-statestness is even higher).

I am in research and pay is comparable if not better outside of NJ these days.  Hell, most of the large pharma companies are moving out of this area and down south as well.

I would move in a heartbeat if I could, and I will as soon as I find something.  I already pay over $17K a year in property taxes and my kids go to private school, that is just not sustainable.

Man... you should get a credit for not using the public school system!!!

What industry are you in?  I'm a software test engineer and I've been looking at Charlotte, Houston and Austin and it's definitely not 300% less, more like 10-30% less in those areas.  I'm also sure they work at a different pace as well with the lower cost of living adjustment, it's still not bad.

I moved 2 months ago. My salary increased quite a bit and my cost of living tanked.... I already told my family if they want to see me they have to visit cause I refuse to set foot in nj again.

If it weren't for the house, I'd be gone months ago. I have to either hit the lottery or wait for wife to retire. Got several years to go. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

I'm already semi-retired but my wife has got 5 years to go. We're already planning escape from the Peoples Republic and our $11,000 yr taxes. Probably Pa. where the living is much cheaper. I'm not talking right over the border but maybe 4 hours out northeast of Pittsburgh. It breaks my heart to leave Jersey but the politicians have left us no choice.

I'm glad my company is talking about relocating me to Houston, TX. I'll still be close to a major metro area (not that I care, but the wife does), no state income tax, more ranges than I can count, no ridiculous gun laws, shall issue CCW. Slightly higher sales tax but much lower cost of living. In researching houses...my current mortgage, property tax & insurance is ~$1700/mo for a 113 year old, 1300 sq.ft. 3 bedroom house with no garage or driveway & <1/4 acre. Outside of Houston, I can rent a 4br/2ba, 2000 sq.ft. house on 1/2 acre that is <15 yrs old for about $1200-$1300. Along with that, gas prices are ~10-15% lower and I can ride my motorcycle 10-11 months a year.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

iPad messed up before. In TX, I can get a 2000 sq ft, 4 be/2ba house with 2 car garage on 1/2 acre for about $1200-$1300. Pair that with 10-15% lower gas prices and a 10-11 month motorcycle season and I don't see any reason NOT to move.

This signature is AWESOME!!!