Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

Am I being anal retentive???

I sent off one of my Colt 6940 uppers to Adco to pin/weld a Battlecomp on it.

Received it today. And found the crush washer is like .5mm offset to one side. Makes my OCD kick in and my head spin.

Normally, I'm a 'it's just a tool' kind of guy. Don't know why this is bugging me so much.

I know from a functional standpoint it's no big deal. The comp and threads are perfectly concentric to the bore, but it drives me nucking futs.

Should I send this back or just get over it??

It's not bad. Really.

It's just making my head spin for some reason. I normally don't let crap like that drive me nuts as long as it's functional, but this gets under my skin. Don't know why.

I'll try to whack it with a mallet and see if I can improve the situation. Will post pics when I get home tonight, so you guys can see how OCD I really am! Lol

Dremel off the high side, cold blue or black marker it and call it a day.  What are you going to do when you get your first scratch through the anodizing the exposes the bare aluminum?  Black maker it, call it a day and move on.  They are tools not family heirlooms.  History will show the "golden age" for firearms has passed.  No wood, no gold, no engraving, craftsmanship has taken a back seat to production.

Bye the way, enjoy it.

Don't sweat it.  The rifle won't function any differently if it was perfectly centered.

Furthermore, it may be a necessary evil as friction may have offset the crush washer during tightening.  No one is going to back off of a crush washer to center it once it's tightened.

Enjoy the rifle!

for what its worth.. steve (Remixer) did mine perfectly.. not rubbing salt in the wound.. but another reason to just bring it to a local guy.. and I use the term local loosely as I spent about 9 hours on the road to meet Steve and have him do this work.. 

Secure from the drill....I was able to tap on it with a mallet and punch and move it into alignment. It's centered now, and not driving me nuts.

I know I was being a weenie about it, but for some reason it got under my skin. I guess because I wouldn't let some little detail like that leave my shop.

Scratches and wear marks don't bother me in the least, but this did......again don't know why.

OCD, I know. Too many years in the .mil paying attention to detail, I guess.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i408fmw5jkc7gav/Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2014%2057%2040.jpg

After:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6ywejxmyh66l4w/Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2015%2017%2039.jpg

Yeah I'd never notice that lol

Lol. I notice crap like that. And it bugs me.

Scratches, nicks, not so much. The crush washer is a workmanship issue and it drives me crazy. I wouldn't let that leave my shop.

I DO have to say that Adco turned that upper around in 3 hours. Shipped it on a Wednesday, they received it Friday at 9:30 am, and I had a return tracking number by 1:30 PM that day.

Wicked fast.

Secure from the drill....I was able to tap on it with a mallet and punch and move it into alignment. It's centered now, and not driving me nuts.

I know I was being a weenie about it, but for some reason it got under my skin. I guess because I wouldn't let some little detail like that leave my shop.

Scratches and wear marks don't bother me in the least, but this did......again don't know why.

OCD, I know. Too many years in the .mil paying attention to detail, I guess.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i408fmw5jkc7gav/Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2014%2057%2040.jpg

After:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6ywejxmyh66l4w/Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2015%2017%2039.jpg

The before looks more off center to me?

Yep. Before pic is as I received it from Adco. The crush washer clearly off center.

The after pic is much better. I had a go at it with a drift punch and a mallet. I was able to center it enough to make my OCD shut up.

Twins (almost).

Colt 6940's. Top one has a EGW A2 comp, and a TA31F ACOG. It's my constant companion out at the ranch in Tx.

Bottom one has a Battlecomp and a TA01NSN ACOG. "Spare" rifle

https://www.dropbox.com/s/na2skzav0slnj34/Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2016%2012%2045.jpg

for what its worth.. steve (Remixer) did mine perfectly.. not rubbing salt in the wound.. but another reason to just bring it to a local guy.. and I use the term local loosely as I spent about 9 hours on the road to meet Steve and have him do this work.. 

Thanks man. I do try :).. iv pulled off brakes i was not happy with :)

All of you are insane.

That's not even slightly noticeable. It's a Colt AR not a $5K engraved trap gun. Your pinned and welded muzzle brake on your 6940 will never be a family heirloom, it's more like the pajamas my uncle kept from his stay in the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam War.

Any couple hundred dollars of extra resale value a complete Pony-side might get went in the toilet when you welded a comp on it. No big deal. Colt doesn't turn out masterpieces of fit and finish. It's just a run of the mill rifle that you know is a good one since it's a Colt.

Spend that same money on a 1911 and demand perfection, and consider that an heirloom.

I realize an AR will never be an heirloom, it is a tool. Scratches, nicks, dings, all roll right off my back. My AR's are full of them, and I've never cried about them coming from the factory with a little character, and I've put a lot of character marks on them myself.

I never would allow a little detail like that out of my shop to a customer, because my workmanship matters to me. I guess that's why it bothered me.

Crazy, OCD, nit picky, call it what you will, but it bugged me. Fortunately I was able to sort it out, and quiet that demon. Lol

I hope I was able to help :)

Seriously, don't worry about it.

I run cans on my M16. Which requires peel washers. Since the breaks and hiders are always coming on and off it looks like there are a bunch of stainless steel dinner plates stacked on the front of my barrel with food still on them so they won't mate up right. And my M16 is no beater, it's 90%. Only I would ever notice it but I realized that's the business end.