Sota

Why is it (money related)...

I can drop $200+ on ammo and not blink an eye, yet they thought of dropping $200 on a gun case stops me.

http://www.caseclub.com/6-revolver-case.htm

Including shipping it's a couple pennies shy of $200.

It's built like I'd want, waterproof and crush proof, holds 6 guns oriented properly (an issue with my current 4-gun case.)

Been looking at it for months but STILL can't pull the trigger (pun intended) to buy it.

I can drop $200+ on ammo and not blink an eye, yet they thought of dropping $200 on a gun case stops me.

http://www.caseclub.com/6-revolver-case.htm

Including shipping it's a couple pennies shy of $200.

It's built like I'd want, waterproof and crush proof, holds 6 guns oriented properly (an issue with my current 4-gun case.)

Been looking at it for months but STILL can't pull the trigger (pun intended) to buy it.

I probably would wince at $200.00 on ammo m'self, :) but I get what you mean...  There's things I'd love to have, but there are other financial priorities now. I would purchase ammo to get me through to the next "sale." :D  At least a year's worth of each caliber / gauge.   

But I do need something "generic" big enough in which to carry all my pistols at once. I don't want a "logo" range bag (no need to advertise.... :D ). My choices, so far, are:

1. Maxpedition Jumbo S-Type Versipak  or
  2. GPS Tactical Range Backpack

I'm inclined to go more with #1 above.   But neither are a priority right now....

http://www.casecruzer.com/gun-cases/shooting-range/qdsr-handgun-5pack.html

a bit more pricey but sweet looking

I got one of these from Harbor Freight for less than $30 and it has a pull piece of pick and pluck foam, ( the picture is not how it looks picture is just for reference, the foam is actually taller in mine and not sectioned off)

I can fit 6 handguns and mags in it vertically. Not the best looking but it's better than carry 6 pelican 1170 cases to the range when I want to bring them all.

image_20721.jpg

Because $200 buys you ammo to maintain and grow firearms proficiency... But $200 for a box is just $200 for a box?  Why spend that much when something else will suffice?

With ammo though, there aren't many alternatives...

I buy good cases for my stuff. I prefer Pelican. However the XDM and XDS came in cases that appeared to be Pelican cases.

I got a $20 rifle case for my AR. It looks good and protects it pretty well. I got $10 pistol cases from Cabela's for our other pistols. Good enough for me.

current gun case...

SAM_0653.jpg

SAM_0819.jpg

SAM_0820.jpg

I got 4 stuffed in a one-gun case buy doing that. problem is I don't like the fact I'm muzzling myself and others every time I turn the case around to retrieve the opposite hand gun on that level. (I know some will say "they're unloaded, they're not being handled." but I'm a serious 4 rules Nazi and it makes my brain itch every time I go for a lower level gun.) then there's the fact I'm pulling 2 out on a pad to get to the bottom and it's not stiff enough for things to not flop around a bit.

I have a bunch of gun rugs, but I don't like using them for range transport. plus the fact my range bag (which is already huge) is stuffed full of everything else (eyes, ears, badges, ammo, mags, tools, etc. so there's no room in it for guns.

ogfarmer's HF case is something I should look at.

I want at least 6 positions to handle current and future range visit needs, especially when I'm doing a new shooter demo.

regarding the casecruzer OG linked and other cases that have pockets for stuff in them (including the one I linked):

I won't be able to use the inside pocket ever to store eyes or ears as it violates the range rules at SCFGPA, RTSP, G4H and probably anyplace else; namely no touching/opening the gun cases until you're on the range and it's hot.

ditto.

my everything else range bag is one of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-pvc-coated-polyester-black

259680.jpg

I guess I could see about the smaller one and figure out if dimensionally I can stuff 6 gun rugs with guns in them into it, but that bothers my OCD somewhat.

If you're going to carry a second case just for guns, get a bunch of these (hard cases, not just rugs) and line then up how you want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P43134?cache=5101a3fa837b6ad92d5e640b816bcaacπ=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1407877729&sr=1-51#ref=mp_s_a_1_51

Alternatively, this is a slightly bigger than the one in the OP at about half the price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ELKU79Y/

yea. it's half the price because it doesn't have the custom foam insert (which they price at like $120 or so.)

interesting on that condition 1 case. need to see how the foam levels are set up. maybe I could make my own setup like I did on the smaller case I have.

To me this qualifies as "gear," and I hate gear. I don't need to dress like Bozo the Clown to ride a bicycle. I don't need an $80 vest-pouch when I can stuff my bag limit into my jacket, or an ammo belt when I only take 6-7 shots during bird season. When I walk, which is often, I wear my regular sneakers. I plant my tomatoes in my wife's old yogurt containers, and use soap and water to clean our stainless steel refrigerator. 

All my long gun cases are surplus or flea market issue, none costing more than $9. 

With a few noteworthy exceptions my handguns live in cheap fabric cases in my safe. On Friday I'll dump all of them into a small duffle bag I got for free at a trade show 15 years ago, and head for the range. My ammo transport "rig" is a tackle box I picked up at WalMart for $6.00. It also contains a cheap miniature flashlight, a couple of folding knives, and a 58-cent .22 caliber brush and cleaning rod just in case. 

I keep an extra worn-out jacket, a pair of old sneakers, and several old hats in my car.

Granted, my vehicle looks like crap but...Did I mention I hate gear?

While I understand that mindset, sometimes "gear" makes sense. FYI... dressing like "bozo the clown" when I go cycling has benefits; the clothing is designed to wear well for those long rides (100 miles) I like to do.

As for a "proper" gun case versus a duffle bag filled with guns in socks, personally I can't do the latter.

Expensive gun case: 

NEED

or 

DESIRE

Ammo:

NEED

or 

DESIRE

Decision:
Feed your guns required/essential ammo

or 

Feed your desires with an (unnecessarily?) expensive gun case

The priorities are your's to decide. 

Therefore there is no wrong answer for you.

Enjoy whatever choice you make.

Then get the bag. 

There is no wrong answer.

Do you want/need permission from the members here?

If so, post a poll. 

I'll vote "Case". 

(not for myself, but for you, since it seems that you require a nudge in the direction of your own particular desire)

Life it short. Enjoy it.

It's easy to explain. Shooting is fun, and $200 isn't a lot compared to other ammo. So you see significant benefit and little alternative.

Carrying gear to the range is more of a chore, and the case doesn't necessarily change it much, and the case is much more expensive than alternatives.

Because you don't need it to enjoy your hobby, where ammo is kinda sorta mandatory.

Like Vlad G said....It sounds like it's b/c you enjoy SHOOTING and don't care as much about how you look doing it. In our sport/hobby you NEED a gun and you NEED bullets. Everything else is secondary as far as what you NEED. You should def have eye & ear protection as well but that cost is nominal so it isn't even thought about.

Spending that $200 on a case (or anything else) is going to set you back/take away from your shooting time. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with this is prob why you and many others "struggle" with spending money on things we don't really need to enjoy our sport/hobby.

I carry my guns and gear in a Jamesons Whiskey gym/tote bag. My wife bought it while on vacation and it was just sitting around collecting dust. It's sturdy and well made. It does what I need it to do. For now my AR gets taken apart and wrapped in a towel so the neighbors don't freak out when I take it out to the car trunk.

It all comes down to allocating limited resources (time & money) with what makes you happy. Good luck.