Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Times most dangerous counties in the US

Montana has 7 of the 15 safest counties. New Jersey has 6 of the 15 most dangerous. What the hell are we doing here?

My wife refuses to retire to Montana. I was told if I want to go, I would be going alone. Hmmmm.............................

Index is for natural disasters..not crime as most people would think at first

Yes, otherwise Camden would have been higher up on the list. Seems like the only real thing to worry about living in Montana is Yellowstone erupting. But if it did chances are we wouldnt be doing too well here in NJ either.

From the article:

The disaster index is calculated from all records in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration storm events database, which includes earthquakes and tornados from 1950 and 42 other event types since 1996.

So it appears there are no 'scumbag-induced' events included in the Danger Index.

Just 'G-d-induced' ones.

I take issues with those numbers. Pick random Kansas county and look at the loss per capita due to tornadoes vs NJ. We might have higher total numbers because of higher population, but I seriously doubt NJ is a more dangerous place to live due to natural disaster then place that burn down regularly out west, or tornado alley, or Florida and its hurricanes. 

Looks like my county is right down the middle.  But... yeah, like most, I thought this was about "crime" and not "natural disasters." Oddly enough, the county in which I reside while in FL (and where I hope to reside permanently someday) is a lot safer than mine here in NJ???  :crazy:   I would have though more of a danger of Hurricanes, Tornadoes, etc. in that part of FL, but...  :dontknow:

I take issues with those numbers. Pick random Kansas county and look at the loss per capita due to tornadoes vs NJ. We might have higher total numbers because of higher population, but I seriously doubt NJ is a more dangerous place to live due to natural disaster then place that burn down regularly out west, or tornado alley, or Florida and its hurricanes.

Great point

I think that the high New Jersey numbers reflect the greater population living along the shore who would be vulnerable to coastal flooding from tsunamis and hurricanes.

If you look at population density worldwide, people alway habitat near water. Lakes , rivers and oceans, etc.

World is 70+% water

Look at the damage that Sandy caused pimarily because of all the people living close to the sea shore. People want the benefits of living in a desirable location near the shore, but want the government to assume the risk, ie, pay the price of rebuilding. Hurricanes will happen again, sure as the sun rises and sets everyday. Who knows when the next big one will come rolling in; it could be years or next month...

Its because people are idiots and build/buy property on Barrier islands. Really your just asking for it! I feel bad for those people when a hurricane comes and wipes everything out. But its really not a smart investment in actuality. Those island's are there to protect the mainland not for human habitat. Kinda like building your house on an interstate median in between oncoming lanes of traffic. Sooner or later a truck is going to drive through your house. Probably why we don't see that, so why do people sink all of their money into an asset the ocean can claim with one storm within a few hours? Everyone that buys property on a barrier island should be checked for brain damage.

Its because people are idiots and build/buy property on Barrier islands. Really your just asking for it! I feel bad for those people when a hurricane comes and wipes everything out. But its really not a smart investment in actuality. Those island's are there to protect the mainland not for human habitat. Kinda like building your house on an interstate median in between oncoming lanes of traffic. Sooner or later a truck is going to drive through your house. Probably why we don't see that, so why do people sink all of their money into an asset the ocean can claim with one storm within a few hours? Everyone that buys property on a barrier island should be checked for brain damage.

I guess they prefer that "ocean view" thing :) and done the risk/benefit calculations. I'd hate to see their insurance premiums, though.

I'm with you. I would not think the benefits of living permanently with that view outweigh the risks. I can go visit it whenever I want to see it. I'd rather be in a much safer, "elevated" area (i.e. not in a flood plane....)  :D

I really suspect their numbers. Even burlington county was #7 and it doesn't have a large area bordering ocean. I can't believe NJ as a whole is higher than the Carolina's, Gulf states, or Midwest. They say in the article that a county's score combines their data and that of their neighbor. This could be Sandy combined with the huge property values in a few counties driving the data.

I guess they prefer that "ocean view" thing :) and done the risk/benefit calculations. I'd hate to see their insurance premiums, though.

I'm with you. I would not think the benefits of living permanently with that view outweigh the risks. I can go visit it whenever I want to see it. I'd rather be in a much safer, "elevated" area (i.e. not in a flood plane....) :D

Exactly the reason I live 1000 feet above sea level on top of a mountain. Its safer! If we had a flood here the rest of the state is in big trouble :lol:

I guess we wouldn't understand their logic Angelo. It's obvious we didn't eat lead paint chips as children, while others did. ;)

I ate lead chips like most kids ate potato chips. Never ...ZZZZZZZZZZZ...did me any...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...harm. YAYAYAYAYA, ummmm...SG@#$(*.

I'd rather live in tornado alley than in Camden. 

Stupid article by a stupid, deluded newspaper that I pray every evening will go out of business ASAP. I was surprised they didn't say anything about global warming. FUKC them.

I have lived in NJ for 25 years and there has been one major hurricane and that makes it a dangerous place to live? Makes no sense to me, the county I grew up in MI had a lot of tornadoes and a ton of winter storms. In fact My dad was killed in one of the winters storms out there, automotive accident.

I ate lead chips like most kids ate potato chips. Never ...ZZZZZZZZZZZ...did me any...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...harm. YAYAYAYAYA, ummmm...SG@#$(*.

I'd rather live in tornado alley than in Camden.

Stupid article by a stupid, deluded newspaper that I pray every evening will go out of business ASAP. I was surprised they didn't say anything about global warming. FUKC them.

^^^^^^lol

It's accurate based on the methodology...

"We tallied up every event in the contiguous United States that has caused death, property damage, injuries or crop damage in each county."

Further...

"Events measured by NOAA’s research include earthquake, hurricane (typhoon), cold wind chill, astronomical low tide, coastal flood, avalanche, dense fog, drought, dust devil, dust storm, excessive heat, extreme cold/wind chill, flash flood, flood, freezing fog, funnel cloud, hail, heat, heavy rain, heavy snow, high surf, high wind, ice storm, lakeshore flood, landslide, lightning, rip current, seiche, sleet, storm surge/tide, strong wind, thunderstorm wind, tornado, tropical depression, tropical storm, tsunami, waterspout, wildfire, winter storm and winter weather."

There may be better ways, but I wouldn't call it "stupid" by any means...

It would be interesting to incorporate crime stats into this.

Place your bets on Camden anyone?....

Not a big enough payout to make it worthwhile.

I am in Atlantic and every storm has left me alone. Worst is power outages and that is start the generator. We have lived on it for over a week. Just to make it easier I bought two portable AC units. vent through the window no real installation and plug into the generator. 

My wife refuses to retire to Montana. I was told if I want to go, I would be going alone. Hmmmm.............................

Same here, so I told her I would think it over...and if she changed her mind there would still be a room for her!