High Exposure

Ceiling Fan Box

Ok, I want to install a new ceiling fan and light over our breakfast table. This is what we have there under the Sheetrock:A388B06E-209E-4CC7-8681-21D206D076AE_zps

(We snuck in and photographed everything before they closed the walls up).

Will this light box handle it?

I thought we spec'ed a ceiling fan box at this location but it does not look the same as the rest of them and I am dubious about its ability to hold a fan.

If that box won't handle it, what are my options (excluding ripping through the Sheetrock)?

This.  You need a brace with built in box that says "old work" or "renovation" or the like.  

Exactly. that box is correct.

Only use the existing box if you hate those who are eating at that table. As there is a good chance it will decapitate them at some point.

just keep in mind your joist isnt a solid 2x and the vertical web is recessed vs the bottem  wood rail.  you may need to shim the middle web of the joist so its flush with the bottem/wider part, depending on what bracket/box combo you use.. I'd use glue for the shims being you cant access to nail but thats just me. also keep in mind if you move the box the wiring may be short ...

Ok, I want to install a new ceiling fan and light over our breakfast table. This is what we have there under the Sheetrock:A388B06E-209E-4CC7-8681-21D206D076AE_zps

(We snuck in and photographed everything before they closed the walls up).

Will this light box handle it?

I thought we spec'ed a ceiling fan box at this location but it does not look the same as the rest of them and I am dubious about its ability to hold a fan.

If that box won't handle it, what are my options (excluding ripping through the Sheetrock)?

Dunno - that box looks a hell of a lot like this:

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Pass-Seymour-S1-20-JFAN-Slater-Round-Ceiling-Fan/367679

Which clearly is Fan Rated.

That is a fan rated box. It will also hold a chandelier. You would be surprised just how strong that box is. Think of it as the Glock of electrical boxes.

Grab a hold of it and yank at it to convince yourself. Just make sure not to grab any exposed copper wire.

Fan box, you can probably confirm by looking at the threaded section where the screws for the fan go in. If they are threaded all the way up , or a good portion, it's a fan box.

Non fan rated boxed typically only have 1/4 -3/4 of threaded section