fumanchu182

Shooting with astigmatism and prescription glasses.

I went to the eye doctor on Friday and found out I have astigmatism in both eyes, which would explain why on a red dot sight the dot would split into two dots one heading towards 2 o'clock and the other one heading to 8 o'clock.  I brought up the discussion about getting eye wear that is a little bit more durable when I'm working on guns or going to the range.  I expected him to be a doctor who was an anti but he blew my mind when he said he was looking to buy a Glock in .357, so the discussion continued but he said he didn't offer any frames or lenses that wold foot the bill but the poly carbonate lenses are shatter proof so I went with those and transition functionality as well (they are UV and anti-scratch as well).

I was really pleased but now I'm in the hunt for eye glasses that a shooter could use at the range or during training.  I've been googling around and seeing what my options are.  What do you guys use and did your insurance cover any of it?  I have a VSP plan through my corporation.  

I have the same issue, they now make contacts for astigmatism's. I ware them every day, they work well. I ware normal shooting eye protection with them in. I had them in the day we went to G&S last year for Basic Pistol.

I have to say more than shooting they really help with driving at night, and being able to read signs before your right on top of them. Especially in foul weather, the difference is amazing! A lot of people in the reviews say these lenses give them dry eyes, but I don't have that problem.

This is what I ware http://www.acuvue.com/products-acuvue-oasys-for-astigmatism

They have a free month supply trial code in that link. Order a free month if you don't like them you spent nothing to find out.

There are cheaper options, but I'm not sure there are longer lasting options that Rudy Project glasses. I have been using the same pair of Rydon's  for over 13 years. ImpactX lens are indestructible, they are probably 10 years old (I originally got polycarbonate lens) and scratch free still. I have a prescription insert that fits behind the front lens which I've had the prescription change in last year as my eyes got a tiny bit worse.

I've used them for a LOT of shooting and a lot of matches, as well as hiking, driving, cutting the grass, and as generic safety glasses.

Yes, there are cheaper options, I'm just not sure they are cheaper after a decade or more.

I can't stand contacts, but if I did, I'd still wear the Rydon's over them.

I have astigmatism and needed progressive glasses (the new term for tri-focal, lol) several years ago.  One of the "scratch-proof lenses" has a scratch from a warm .45 ACP case bouncing off it.  I've never worn contacts.  Everybody that has the Rudy glasses LOVES them.  What's left to talk about? 

You can't get any better then Rudy Project glasses. They are VERY durable, and their lenses have a lifetime warranty. I have a few different sets of lenses for my frames depending on lighting conditions, etc. They are pretty sweet looking sunglasses as well!

The Rudy Project glasses use the ImpactX lenses as well.

My ophthalmologist is in Sea Girt. Her and her sister are very gun friendly and love to tell you about the times they went skeet shooting off the back of the cruise ship and other fun gun stories, LOL.

There are cheaper options, but I'm not sure there are longer lasting options that Rudy Project glasses. I have been using the same pair of Rydon's  for over 13 years. ImpactX lens are indestructible, they are probably 10 years old (I originally got polycarbonate lens) and scratch free still. I have a prescription insert that fits behind the front lens which I've had the prescription change in last year as my eyes got a tiny bit worse.

I've used them for a LOT of shooting and a lot of matches, as well as hiking, driving, cutting the grass, and as generic safety glasses.

Yes, there are cheaper options, I'm just not sure they are cheaper after a decade or more.

I just wear my normal glasses - however I have the ultra thin polycarb lenses as my prescription is horrible.  I do have a hard time seeing sights sometimes - and yes, red dots do show up as blurry blobs - that's why I go with as small a dot as possible.

Hello, I just always shoot with just my eyeglasses on. They are progressive lenses, photo gray & shatterproof safety lenses. I'm blind as a rock without them. Should I also be using another pair over top of them? These are bad enough to shoot with...

Hello, I just always shoot with just my eyeglasses on. They are progressive lenses, photo gray & shatterproof safety lenses. I'm blind as a rock without them. Should I also be using another pair over top of them? These are bad enough to shoot with...

That depends. Personally I want glasses that cover the side of my eyes as well so they need to curve a bit. Also without knowing how big your glasses are, it is rather hard to answer. Lastly shatterproof is not the same for everything. Are they shatterproof so they won't break if drop them in the driveway or are they shatterproof to ANSI Z87 high velocity standards?

Z87 is pretty much the minimum I'd look for, a lot of shooting specific glasses exceed that by a lot.

A few years ago there were video's of some of the better shooting glasses (Rudy, Oakley, etc) being shot with shotguns and even 9mm. I can't find them now but the results were impressive, as in lens were scratched and pitted from birdshot with no penetration, and damaged more severely from 9mm but still no penetration. Mind you, that 9mm would have probably driven the lens into your skull, but that's not really the point.

Mind you, that 9mm would have probably driven the lens into your skull, but that's not really the point.

Haha!  Yeah the safety glasses I'm looking at are not for catching bullets with my face but to prevent the "oh shit" moments that would be prevented with normal safety glasses.  I'm working with my doctor to get a RX to one of Rudy's authorized dealers to get them made, going to cost me a mint I am told.

I normally use my "regular" glasses as they have high impact poly carbonate lenses, but the frames are not safety rated.

I have considered just buying a reasonable set of safety glasses that have the optional side protection inserts as a second pair of glasses that aren't too hideous.

These Rudy Project Rydon glasses look very interesting though. Do you (or anyone else) use these with Progressive / multi-focal / Varilux type lenses?

My optician had told me in the past that frames like the Maui Jim's were a problem for those types of lenses due to the wrap-around curved nature lense.  I am wondering if the insert approach works better.

I'd suggest you give Rudy  a call. I haven't kept up with their models mostly because I've been happy with what I have, but I know that in the past some models would allow for higher prescriptions then others due to the design of the RX inserts,  basically there were multiple types.

As much as I like Rudy, you should really look at all the available options, Rudy, Decot, Oakley, Revision, ESS, etc and find which ones are the best choice for you. You are about to spend a lot of money, you want to make sure you get something you will like.

Do NOT get ICE glasses for significant prescriptions. They say they will handle a heavily - diopter, but only in the plastic inserts. Which have to bend in the middle to mount. Whihc makes the grind o the lenses wrong. They are a giant POS in that regard. 

If you have a significant prescription and are looking at rudy project, CALL THEM. Calling them will get you an accurate answer. Looking stuff up on the web will not. I know form experience. They were a lot less hassle than their web site too.