Bri894

Line painting damage

Today my daughter & I were at EFAG. We left there around 3pm and we stopped at TNT for some sparklers before I got on 78. When I got out of my truck I noticed I had line paint all over it. It's bad. There were a few other guys there when I left. Did any of you get paint on your trucks also? 

DSC01590_zpsi8wxvr3v.jpg

DSC01589_zpsj2h2gcib.jpg

DSC01588_zpsjxbqswuw.jpg

Bri894- be careful trying to scrub the paint off yourself. If you don't get the area completely clean you may end up scratching you existing paint as you scrub off the line paint. also that paint is particularly solvent resistant. I know this because I have buffed road line paint off cars several times before when I was working in the auto body industry. I am located in Flemington and if you want to swing by my place I will buff it off your paint for nothing, unless you feel so inclined to throw me a 6 pack LOL. Just PM me if your intrested 

Bri894- be careful trying to scrub the paint off yourself. If you don't get the area completely clean you may end up scratching you existing paint as you scrub off the line paint. also that paint is particularly solvent resistant. I know this because I have buffed road line paint off cars several times before when I was working in the auto body industry. I am located in Flemington and if you want to swing by my place I will buff it off your paint for nothing, unless you feel so inclined to throw me a 6 pack LOL. Just PM me if your intrested 

This is one of the paints you need to take care of right away before it cures. Road paint aint no joke. I had some nasty paint get on a car from a stupid mistake and it came off pretty easily with paint thinner (mineral spirits). I sprayed the whole area with quick detail first and just rubbed the paint specks with a micro fiber towel dipped in the solvent.

This is one of the paints you need to take care of right away before it cures. Road paint aint no joke. I had some nasty paint get on a car from a stupid mistake and it came off pretty easily with paint thinner (mineral spirits). I sprayed the whole area with quick detail first and just rubbed the paint specks with a micro fiber towel dipped in the solvent.

Yes if you get it right away you can get it off with solvent pretty easily but if its cured it takes allot of elbow grease to get it off and even strong lacquer thinner will barely even soften it. the key is to get the whole area clean first before you scrub because even pollen, dirt, and dust will scratch the clear coat when rubbed hard. then you end up with a dull patch with shiny spots where the road paint used to be. If your car has a heavy coat of wax on it that helps allot because the road paint is stuck to the wax not the clear coat. A little wax and grease remover or a bit of lacquer on a micro fiber cloth or an old fashioned baby diaper will do the job well then if there is any dull patches  just buff it right up. If there is no wax and its really stuck on the clear I VERY VERY carefully sand the paint spots down one at a time with 1500-2000 grit wet sand paper and then buff the area. I have heard of some people getting lucky with a power washer but they probably had a heavy coat of wax on their paint. a power washer will probably take it off the plastic wheel well liner though.     

Yes if you get it right away you can get it off with solvent pretty easily but if its cured it takes allot of elbow grease to get it off and even strong lacquer thinner will barely even soften it. the key is to get the whole area clean first before you scrub because even pollen, dirt, and dust will scratch the clear coat when rubbed hard. then you end up with a dull patch with shiny spots where the road paint used to be. If your car has a heavy coat of wax on it that helps allot because the road paint is stuck to the wax not the clear coat. A little wax and grease remover or a bit of lacquer on a micro fiber cloth or an old fashioned baby diaper will do the job well then if there is any dull patches  just buff it right up. If there is no wax and its really stuck on the clear I VERY VERY carefully sand the paint spots down one at a time with 1500-2000 grit wet sand paper and then buff the area. I have heard of some people getting lucky with a power washer but they probably had a heavy coat of wax on their paint. a power washer will probably take it off the plastic wheel well liner though.     

Thanks for the replies fishnut.  I got the paint off my truck with a power washer.  I can't get it off from under the wheel wells even with the power washer.  Will thinner damage the plastic in the wheel wells?

yes strong solvents can soften your wheel well liner and goof off is a weak solvent so it wont do jack to road paint. I would try coarse steel wool and soapy water or 320-400 grit wet sand paper with the soapy water. OR it you want to take the easy way out, carefully spray paint it with a black paint. it will flake off from time to time but you can just respray it when you need to. just be very careful of overspray getting on your cars paint. if you do get some overspray right away wipe it off with goof off, lacquer thinner, or acetone. just go really light with the lacquer and blow on it to evaporate it quickly so it does not soften your clear coat. If I were a betting man I would bet that you wax you car regularly or have it done at the carwash and that's the only reason the road paint came off with the powerwasher. it pays to go the extra mile sometimes.