70gto

So Im thinking of getting a dog

3 kids, 6 10 and 12. I convinced the wife its time for a dog. I'm thinking something mid sized, smart and that can protect the kids. The back yard is about a half acre fenced. I narrowed it down to two dogs, a german shepard and a Belgian malinois. I have some experience with both from at work and my life before marriage and kids.

Both are good dogs and fit the bill and require good training and maintenance. I don't want anything huge, so I'm thinking a female shepard would be a good size as they tend to run smaller. The Belgian malinois also are more compact but have ALOT of prey drive and energy.

So, which would be a better family dog, and not destroy my house? Also it needs to listen to everybody, not just the alpha in the house. Thanks I'm curious on your thoughts.

I've had several dogs throughout my life. May family was even trying to breed labs.

I will say this to you. The best we've ever had a privilege to be part of our family have been muts.

Puppy rescued muts.

My 2 cents. It's a Mendels peas thing I think.

I adopted two mutts, one shepherd lab mix this weekend. Smart and very friendly. My other mutt is a year old and he's a plott hound terrier mix. They are both high energy and require training. Right now, the new addition is behaving primarily because our other pup is well trained and they wrestle for hours. Becarful because any high energy dog will rip the house apart if they don't have an outlet to play or work hard. When my plott started chewing up shoes we knew he needed something to occupy him during the day when we are gone. Hence pup #2

I've always had adopted dogs so i say go that way. If you want a Shepard or Malinois you need to take the time to train it appropriately or have someone who can. If a 5lb dog nips someone it's not a big deal. If a 80lb+ does you are going to have problems. For training look into on point k9. I know the owner(he trained my dogs) and he is an award winning trainer and avid sportsman.

I've had a Shepard, Shepard/beagle, 2 pointers and a 100% mutt

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

I adopted two mutts, one shepherd lab mix this weekend. Smart and very friendly. My other mutt is a year old and he's a plott hound terrier mix. They are both high energy and require training. Right now, the new addition is behaving primarily because our other pup is well trained and they wrestle for hours. Becarful because any high energy dog will rip the house apart if they don't have an outlet to play or work hard. When my plott started chewing up shoes we knew he needed something to occupy him during the day when we are gone. Hence pup #2

Puppy gotta puppy. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

You got 2? Dude, your shoes are screwed.

Lol

I was in this same situation last year. I contacted several breeders of both GS and BM. I also kept my eye on the Pet rescues websites and saw a few puppies that caught my eye, one in particular. So we went to a Petsmart thing in Mt. Laurel and fell.in love with a 5 month old mix of GS and ? We took him home the next Monday. What a blessing he has been. I could list so much but PM me and Ill give you details. My wife and I have no kids, and dont want them but he is great around all my nieces and nephews. His name before and after adoption, MAGNUM. Perfect.

• Like 1

I was in this same situation last year. I contacted several breeders of both GS and BM. I also kept my eye on the Pet rescues websites and saw a few puppies that caught my eye, one in particular. So we went to a Petsmart thing in Mt. Laurel and fell.in love with a 5 month old mix of GS and ? We took him home the next Monday. What a blessing he has been. I could list so much but PM me and Ill give you details. My wife and I have no kids, and dont want them but he is great around all my nieces and nephews. His name before and after adoption, MAGNUM. Perfect.

I'm not gonna lie I'm welling up.

Best we ever had was missy. Part sherpard part pit , part awesome.

She disappeared for a day as a pup and I found her in a post hole.( for a shed, little girl was in there for a atleast the night face down) best damn dog ever.

Rescue! Rescue!rescue

Best dog I ever had was a husky/german shepherd mix.  Frighteningly intelligent, disciplined, and loyal.  Sometimes I'd catch her doing calculus in her spare time.

Funny you mention this. We're in the process of trying to move to a house and once we move I want a dog, German Shepard. Wife has been adamant no dog because we already have 2 cats she takes care of. She said to me today, once we move she will compromise as long as I make it a German Shepard/Husky mix lol

Do NOT get a Husky - as you can tell from my avatar I love Huskies and have three of them.  That said they are a terrible first dog as they know you are supposed to listen to them not the other way around. They shed twice a year, day and night - EVERY day.  They love to run.  They love to dig.  A fence will work, but it must be at least 8 feet - six feet above ground and two feet below.  They are great watch dogs, they will watch the bad guy and perhaps lick him to death.  On the plus side they are super friendly and love kids.  Maybe for your next dog :)

31049984191_1091c8bfba.jpg

31229655451_2009c0a9c3_d.jpg

30451823123_dc1a8b5733_d.jpg

30553948274_9d5b0b3fb6_d.jpg

[/img]

• Like 3

Do NOT get a Husky - as you can tell from my avatar I love Huskies and have three of them. That said they are a terrible first dog as they know you are supposed to listen to them not the other way around. They shed twice a year, day and night - EVERY day. They love to run. They love to dig. A fence will work, but it must be at least 8 feet - six feet above ground and two feet below. They are great watch dogs, they will watch the bad guy and perhaps lick him to death. On the plus side they are super friendly and love kids. Maybe for your next dog :)

31049984191_1091c8bfba.jpg

31229655451_2009c0a9c3_d.jpg

30451823123_dc1a8b5733_d.jpg

30553948274_9d5b0b3fb6_d.jpg

My grandma out in Spokane had a malamute monster we named queen. Sled towing machine! And granny is a horse lady. Queen knew who was queen...lol

I will say this to you. The best we've ever had a privilege to be part of our family have been muts.

I agree here...

My girlfriend had a Sato (mutt from Puerto Rico) that her friends brought back from a vacation... and he is such a smart dog. Protective, loyal, and is by her side constantly.

He was too attached to her, so we got a puppy from the SPCA... originally from Tennessee. She is probably a mix between shepard and coonhound. Most lovable dog I've ever seen.

There are so many dogs in shelters, especially in this state, so I can't recommend a family dog without saying to check out a shelter first. They usually have great records of the dog, and will caution you if there are any risks. First time owners are given a lot of info to help them, and if you have a dog, they prefer to have them meet beforehand. That is what sold us on ours.

I'm no dog expert and can only speak from my experience. I've only owned mutts. All rescued except one that was the result of an Airedale and German Shepherd procreation through a fence. Female dogs seem to be more protective of their turf. At least the ones I had. My last dog Lacy was all business. You could pet her for awhile but she was all into security. Didn't need to hear the doorbell as Lacy would announce someone's presence as they walked up the driveway.

Fencing can be an issue depending on the dog. Lacy was about 45 lbs and a terrier mix. I have a 4 ft chain link fence which had no problem containing our bigger dog, Tramp (dumbest dog I ever had but none was as loyal). Lacy would get a 15-20 foot running start and vault the fence. She would clear the fence completely. I saw her do it. I came up with a cheap fix for this rather than replace the entire fence.

Yup fence is a 4 footer chain link , this may be a problem.  Woods are behing the house, an occasional fox trots on through. As far as the male -female thing, It doesn't matter to me. Whichever one works with kids better. I was just thinking female because they tend to run a little smaller, at least that's how I sold the idea to the wife.

Don't get a dog. It's like having another kid that you can't take on vacation.

This is why the girlfriend and I opted for two cats instead.  I love all animals, but the cats are largely self sufficient, and....they don't bark.  Ahhh...the silence is wonderful.

This is why the girlfriend and I opted for two cats instead. I love all animals, but the cats are largely self sufficient, and....they don't bark. Ahhh...the silence is wonderful.

Ooooomp, we have cats. They be awesome. I want me dogs!