Displaced Texan

Today is the day I ask for your help..

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’m in the living room, drinking my morning coffee, expecting her to come out of the bedroom, wagging her tail, ears up, looking at me, ready to give me my morning kisses. For us to go on our morning walk. 

You're going to be experiencing that for a while. It's really tough sometimes. You'll hear sounds, or nail clicks on the floor, etc., and expect her to be coming in. You'll also experience routines that just won't be happening, and it will be really unnerving. It will all calm down in time, it's a really emotional time. When I had to put my pup down, it was the undoing of the daily routines that was the toughest. I wandered around outside at midnight for a month or two afterwards, thinking we were going out for the last pit stop of the night, but it  was just me out there.....  :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What sniper said.
The hole this blows in the household is palpable and constantly surges to the forefront. At least at first. Finding hair everywhere, old toys under the couch, being able to stretch your legs out in your own bed.  But that sorrow becomes fond memories eventually. 

Eventually you’ll know it’s time to get another. Not a replacement. Just another. 
Someone to again share a happy home and build new memories. 

• Agree 1

I totally get it. And I know this will last for a long time. 

For such a little dog, she had an enormous personality. She ran this household, and knew exactly how to get what she wanted from daddy. It’s like she practiced her ‘cute act’ in front of a mirror...she had it down to a science. 

She’s a hole in our household, and in our hearts that will never be filled. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Eventually you’ll know it’s time to get another. Not a replacement. Just another. 

That time frame varies with everyone. I agree, never a "replacement", like replacing a old toaster oven. These companions and memories can NEVER be replaced.

At some point, a NEW member of the family.

2 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

I tear up when thinking about any of our fur babies that have crossed over. Thinking of your loss today.

Image may contain: text that says 'They still talk about you I know.'

That photo is so true.  I always tell my current dog about her predecessor.  You never forget them.  The end is the worst part.  The memories and the love, so worth it. 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, Displaced Texan said:

I rarely discuss my personal life with anyone, but Today, I need your prayers. Today is the day that we all know comes eventually, but pray never comes. 

We have to say goodbye to our little girl, Harley, our miniature Dachshund. She crossing the rainbow bridge. 

We have been blessed with being her parents for 16 years, and we could not have asked for a better little girl. 
We are beyond devastated, and heartbroken. 

Goodbye, my sweet angel. We will be strong for you, like you were for us.

36B5C16C-3AB1-40B4-A6EE-1A7598FB075F.jpeg

I’m really sorry man.  It’s rough but think of the good times.