revenger

car video cameras

IThanks for the advice here guys. I even grabbed one for my GF. I a feeling it will really pay off one day.

JackDaWack:

Nothing says love more than buying your girlfriend a dash cam....! I hope it does pay off for you one day.

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G1W question. Ever since I got mine it seems it focuses more on my windshield rather then further out. I've read you can open it up and adjust the focus. Any information that any of you have that could help me with that? From what I've read, there's a screw to turn +/- but IDK which way will adjust it further out. Also, I kind of got mine for free so not too worried about messing it up by opening it. 

I just cut a little hole in the windshield. It sucks when it rains, though.

I tried the exposure thing...it only darkened the video. I ordered a new one from GearBest for $37 and I'm gonna put the original one in the back window. I don't need great clarity for rear as much as I would for the front I would think. Hopefully the GearBest one is good. The one I had gotten my wife is phenomenal from BlackBox on Amazon but they're still around $58.

Ok, after reading all of the posts in this thread and watching the many videos taken with a dash cam, I am going to do a 180 deg. turn on my opinion on dash cams.  I am now convinced that they make quite a bit of sense and can be relatively inexpensive insurance, bolstering one’s accurate account by video recording of the actual sequence of events that led up to some type of accident, altercation or situation.
Therefore, I have placed an order on Amzaon for a dash cam…

After a fair amount of research I have selected the Falcon Zero Touch HD dash cam.
It has 1080p video quality and comes with a 32 Gb SD card and the unit can be powered either via a power cord from the cigarette lighter or can be hard-wired.  I will let you know what I think once I get it and have installed it and driven some distance with it.

(Who says NJGF members are intransigent on their opinions…..!)

AVB-AMG

Yea, they have a few different models. The descripts really don't point out much of a difference other than a range of prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an FYI. In the comment section, I always check out the 1 star reviews first. Most of those people think that the reviews are "fake". Worst case, that is "Prime", so you can return it if you are not happy. Let us know how it works out?

Just an FYI. In the comment section, I always check out the 1 star reviews first. Most of those people think that the reviews are "fake". Worst case, that is "Prime", so you can return it if you are not happy. Let us know how it works out?

AdamM:

Those possible fake reviews on Amazon also gave me pause but I decided to try it knowing that if I was not pleased I could rerun it to Amazon. This manufacturers' other dash cam has received good (real) reviews and the fact that it is easily remove able from its charging/mounting cradle is what sold it for me. I will let you all know my thoughts once I have had it for a couple of weeks road testing it.

If I like it and decide to keep it I will have it hard-wired to eliminate the ugly visible power cord to the DC power outlet, for a cleaner look inside the car.

AVB-AMG

Yesterday, I received via Amazon Prime (1 Day Delivery...!) the Falcon Zero Touch HD dash cam and also installed it into my car.

I mounted it on the passenger side of the interior rear view mirror as high as I could and snaked and hid the power cord around where the windshield joints the interior headliner, as well as down at the dash/door junction and up under the passenger side foot well to the DC power outlet in the front center console. So far it was very easy to set up but does hang down a fair amount, which might be an issue over time. There is a separate GPS antenna and connection that I may or may not install in the future, T.B.D., since it would add just one more element on the inside of the windshield or dash.

FWISW - I think the Rexing S300 would be much more discreet and a lower profile dash cam solution, in this regard, (when mounted high and adjacent to the interior rear view mirror).

Upon first observation, the video quality of the Falcon Zero Touch HD seems to be quite high. The camera does not easily slip into and out of the cradle so I many just remove the camera and cradle at the same time for out of sight storage when parked somewhere that could be a bit dicey... I will take some photos and post them once I have had a chance to road test this set up and do any further necessary tweaks, if I ultimately decide to keep it.

AVB-AMG

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I've personally seen the video from a number of different cameras that friends have tried.

The difference, to me at least is in the following.

1.  Is the video clear.   In the case of one friend's camera, it constantly struggles to adjust the light levels.  I'm not surprised, it was a $30 cam.

2. Can you read a license plate.   This is the biggest one.   In the day time, almost all cameras do this well, except of course, the $30 cam I mentioned above.

3. Night time video and license plates.   This is where 75% of the cameras fall away and you're left with a much small field to choose from.

The field is constantly improving.  4 years ago, there were 2 cameras that did night dash video worth a damn.  Now with many more cams supporting WDR, this isn't such a big issue however, since this is the weakest point, it should be how you evaluate your choice in cam.

Some people want GPS, some people want parking recording, some people want front and rear and bells with whistles.    All of that stuff can be great but if the core competency isn't there (i.e. read plates), you've got a worthless toy hanging from the windshield.

• Like 1

I received my new G1W yesterday and the video quality is great compared to my old one. For now I mounted the old one on the back window. Any legal issues with the old one in the back window for obstruction of view? I obviously can't mount it all that high because of the rear defrosters. 

I received my new G1W yesterday and the video quality is great compared to my old one. For now I mounted the old one on the back window. Any legal issues with the old one in the back window for obstruction of view? I obviously can't mount it all that high because of the rear defrosters. 

Why recommendation as to where to buy ?

Thanks. There are reports of "lower spec" models with same model designation. Should I worry about it or they are all just same ? 

I'm no expert...but...the one I got from Black Box on Amazon has a nice picture and audio quality, that one was $60 late last year. The one from NewEgg, IDK it's actual "label" is crappy and took 2 months to show up but I got it refunded before it showed up, so it was free anyway. The one I just received from gearbest.com is also labeled from Black Box I got for $37 seems in line with the one from Amazon at quick glance...but I haven't been able to really check out the video from it. 

I did read when researching of certain things to look for and avoid when looking at G1W but I don't really remember since it was 10 months ago.

I'm no expert...but...the one I got from Black Box on Amazon has a nice picture and audio quality, that one was $60 late last year. The one from NewEgg, IDK it's actual "label" is crappy and took 2 months to show up but I got it refunded before it showed up, so it was free anyway. The one I just received from gearbest.com is also labeled from Black Box I got for $37 seems in line with the one from Amazon at quick glance...but I haven't been able to really check out the video from it. 

I did read when researching of certain things to look for and avoid when looking at G1W but I don't really remember since it was 10 months ago.

The Issue with G1W is that there are a billion chinese knock-offs built with inferior parts.   They are all over Ebay.

I found this somewhat comical last night.

Unfortunately, at least as far as I'm concerned, there is no "good" free video editor.  They all have limitations that make them unusable in one situation or another.

I do use Windows Movie Maker for simple stuff(a minute or less) with titles and swipes but it is frustrating to use to get the media format output that you want.  Also it tends to crash on larger projects.

There are bunch of free software packages that can do everything, but you have to use one program to edit, one to output, one to mix sounds, etc.  It's a big pain in the ass.

For 99% of my projects, I use Adobe Premiere and make my stills in Photoshop.   Adobe  has a "video editing" offer for  $240/year.  I have the entire creative cloud suite since I also use Illustrator.  Most people who are just editing videos aren't willing to spend that kind of money.  This will literally allow you to do anything, including making a feature length block buster movie.

Pinnacle makes a decent video editor.   It has limitations but it's fairly easy to use.  $60 bucks gets you into that one, $129.99 gets you the "ultimate" bundle.  These are one time prices.

ProShow is another one that is pretty good.  It's a "slide show" software that can do video just as well.   $249 one time for that one.

Magix Movie Edit Pro is also ok.  One time $35 cost on that one.

Also, you need to have a pretty decent computer to edit video.   This means, lots of disk space, lots of ram(8gb at the very least, 16gb better) a decent video card for hardware acceleration and an I5 or I7 processor, the faster the better.  Yes, it'll work on lesser specs...takes a long time and crashes a lot.

ProShow

• Like 1

It has now been just about three weeks since I purchased, installed and have been using the Falcon Zero Touch HD dash cam and I have decided to keep it.

I mounted it on the passenger side of the interior rear view mirror as high as I could and snaked and hid the power cord around where the windshield joints the interior headliner, as well as down at the dash/door junction and up under the passenger side foot well to the DC power outlet in the front center console.

The dash cam will turn on automatically when I start up the car and when I park, I manually turn it off. While it was easy to install, it does hang down a fair amount, but is not objectionable from my driver’s side vantage point.

I have elected not to connect the separate GPS antenna since I do not see the need for that location feature, (at least at this time….) and do not want to have one more wire and piece of plastic attached to either the windshield or dash.

I am very pleased with the very clear 1080P hi-definition video quality of the unit that is visible on the 4” screen. Also, as Malsua importantly points out in his earlier post, I can read the rear license plates of vehicles up to about 15 feet away from the front of my car. Nighttime video is adequate and not the strength of most of these type of dash cams.

The camera does not easily slip into and out of the cradle. Therefore, if I need to park somewhere of questionable security I just remove the camera and cradle at the same time for out of sight storage in its zippered pouch. Here are some pics I found online of the unit and how it looks mounted from inside a vehicle, (click on each thumbnail photo to enlarge it).

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

Any test videos yet?  I uploaded a long one of the drive home last night... it was pretty crazy...

I had an  "almost road rage" last night.  I was waiting but it only involved middle fingers and words...no violence.  I was bummed. heh.  I was waiting for the tough guy in the mini-van to brake check the BMW.

I actually had an incident on Friday night where someone smashed my window and ransacked the whole car, but I don't think smashing the window would set off the G sensor so the cam wouldn't have helped me.

The cams that monitor parking would probably trigger on a broken window.   Of course if the car was ransacked, the probably would have taken the cam while they were at it.