I’m sure a few here are cigar smokers, what is your go to cigar?

Mostly Romeo & Juliet for me, I enjoy an Acid blondie every now and then, League of extraordinary men is yummy also, Arturo Fuente is another I enjoy.

Had a connection for Cubans, have a few Esplendidos left, save those for golf with the boy’s. 

Bigtime.

Liga Privada No. 9, and the other Liga Privada cigars are always go-to's, as well as the rest of the Drew Estate catalog.  Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust has several lines I smoke a lot of.  Joya De Nicaragua, Foundation Cigar, Illusione,  Room 101, Casdagli, Warped, Padron, Oliva, Fuente (Espeically Casa Fuente and Opus X), Davidoff, Aganorsa Leaf (Casa Fernandez), Roma Craft, Tatuaje, Viaje, and more.

I have a shelf of Cubans but they're fairly hit or miss, and the quality has gone down in past years...

• Agree 3

Nick has much more experience than I in terms of current offerings by the latest manufacturer's lines.  My go-to's are Oliva-V, Liga #9, La Gloria Cubana Churchill, and for a morning smoke I still like a Macanudo Prince Phillip Cafe.  I like my full-bodied sticks in the afternoon & evening, especially after a sweet dessert & coffee.

Rosey

No photo description available.

• Haha 2

Fuente 8-5-8 was my go-to when I smoked regularly.

When J&R was in their heyday I REALLY liked their El Rey del Mundo line.  They had a bigger pyramid (Flor de la Lenza?) that I couldn't resist.  They also had a paper wrapped Robusto that was fantastic.

I haven't smoked a cigar in 10 years or so, but if Rey del Mundo are still around I'd probably grab them.

As always I'd never pass up a Cuban if offered...

7 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Fuente 8-5-8 was my go-to when I smoked regularly.

When J&R was in their heyday I REALLY liked their El Rey del Mundo line.  They had a bigger pyramid (Flor de la Lenza?) that I couldn't resist.  They also had a paper wrapped Robusto that was fantastic.

I haven't smoked a cigar in 10 years or so, but if Rey del Mundo are still around I'd probably grab them.

As always I'd never pass up a Cuban if offered...

When we would drive down to NC we always went 12 miles out of our way and stopped at J&R in Selma, grabbed some cigars and some aftershave that they carried, the stores there were fun to browse. Once it was sold they closed the store no more nick nacks, just a small cigar store on the very end. 

I've always enjoyed cigars but never really got into them.  Maybe a handful (if that) a year.

But, one of my friends and I get together during the nicer months to share a nice bourbon and pontificate on life.  He's been breaking out cigars.  And one of my SILs and her husband moved closer to us and I'm often smoking cigars with him.  He introduced me to Java Red.  A flavored cigar.  It's a very nice smoke.

Not wanting to be constantly bumming cigars off them, I decided to start purchasing my own.  Started with ordering some Java Reds.  Since then I've ordered:

Punch Double Maduro Rothschild

15 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I've always enjoyed cigars but never really got into them.  Maybe a handful (if that) a year.

But, on of my friends and I get together during the nicer months to share a nice bourbon and pontificate on life.  He's been breaking out cigars.  And one of SILs and her husband moved closer to us and I'm often smoking cigars with him.  He introduced to Java Red.  A flavored cigar.  It's a very nice smoke.

Not wanting to be constantly bumming cigars off them, I decided to start purchasing my own.  Started with ordering some Java Reds.  Since then I've ordered:

Javas are ok - I know I've enjoyed a cigar with you before... Hit me up whenever you need a recommendation.

9 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Javas are ok - I know I've enjoyed a cigar with you before... Hit me up whenever you need a recommendation.

Thanks, may take you up on that.  For some reason my prior post cut off what else I've tried.

Arturo Fuente Maduro Brevas Royale
Montecristo Platinum Robusto
Macanudo Maduro Hyde Park
My Father's Cigars - Flor De Las Antillas
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro Short Story
Brick House Maduro, Robusto

And I've just ordered Hoyo de Monterrey, Hoyo De Tradicion Toro Grande.

One of my friends is in a "Cigars of the month" group and we've smoked a few of his here and there over the summer while sampling different bourbons.  Nothing really stood out but nothing was horrible either.

I've been a very casaul cigar smoker since high school.  Back then my go to's were Punch and Hoyo De Monterey.  I very much enjoyed the Punch Double Maduro Rothschild.

So far the only one I think I wouldn't purchase again is the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro Short Story.  And maybe the My Father's Cigars - Flor De Las Antillas?  But I was walking my dog while smoking that one so may need to revisit it.

I'm having a flashback to me and Mrs. 45Doll rocking on the veranda of our Key West hotel room doing our best Ernest Hemmingway impersonations.

Side note. A friend of mine is smoking cigars to acquire the nicotine, which helps enormously with his psoriatic arthritis.

• Like 2

I've cut back drastically past few yrs to maybe one a month or so from 2-3 per week. Stock a few basics- R&J, Rocky P, Macanudo.  However still need the quick fix and took up cheroots, think Backwoods (which are garbage). I like Roughnecks or Ole Shenandoah, better quality but still a bit gritty, think Clint Eastwood lol. 10-15 mins afew times a day and all is good. And nothing flavored, yuk.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:23 PM, gleninjersey said:

Thanks, may take you up on that.  For some reason my prior post cut off what else I've tried.

Arturo Fuente Maduro Brevas Royale
Montecristo Platinum Robusto
Macanudo Maduro Hyde Park
My Father's Cigars - Flor De Las Antillas
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro Short Story
Brick House Maduro, Robusto

And I've just ordered Hoyo de Monterrey, Hoyo De Tradicion Toro Grande.

One of my friends is in a "Cigars of the month" group and we've smoked a few of his here and there over the summer while sampling different bourbons.  Nothing really stood out but nothing was horrible either.

I've been a very casaul cigar smoker since high school.  Back then my go to's were Punch and Hoyo De Monterey.  I very much enjoyed the Punch Double Maduro Rothschild.

So far the only one I think I wouldn't purchase again is the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro Short Story.  And maybe the My Father's Cigars - Flor De Las Antillas?  But I was walking my dog while smoking that one so may need to revisit it.

Really?  Fuente Short Story is a great stick.  FDLA is pretty good too...  Fuente Brevas are mixed-filler cheaper cigars of the Fuente line - but still can be pretty good.  Those were my "It's a girl" cigars from when the kiddo was born.

Most Cigar of the Month clubs give out the junk that the stores can't get rid of.  

11 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I'm having a flashback to me and Mrs. 45Doll rocking on the veranda of our Key West hotel room doing our best Ernest Hemmingway impersonations.

That's what I enjoy about cigars.  For me they are a kind of "do not disturb" sign for life.  Or something to indulge in leisurely with friends who enjoy them as well.

For some reason men are often perceived as anti-social.  Or at the very least less social than women.  But you get a group of guys together smoking some cigars and  they become VERY social with one another.  

• Like 1

I've been smoking cigars since undergrad school. Mainly for stress relief. I smoke the usual suspects and only a couple a week. Since I don't smoke every day, and I'm 6'5" I tend to smoke churchills. Arturo Fuente Double Chateau, 9" Hemingway's, Padron 7000, Oliva, Hoyo Excalibur # 1, anything with a Cameroon wrapper, My Father, Romeo y Julieta. One more guilty pleasure I have, it's found in Frank's Cigar Shop. Some Churchill sized hand rolled cigars that have a cameroon spicy sweetness to them with a maduro wrapper.

It's a small shop on George Dye Rd. in Hamilton Twp., New Jersey. He has a small lounge where his customers could smoke their cigars. After covid the politicos in Hamilton screwed Frank and stopped him from using his back room for smoking. A year ago Cigar Aficionado printed a letter of mine where I explained how unhappy I was. Of course he has a great supply of name brand cigars stocked in his store humidors with very reasonable prices.

If any of my gun friends here that smoke cigars ever drive past Hamilton Twp. make a turn to stop by Frank's shop and buy a cigar or two.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FDHog said:

My son in law's brother had a Cohiba (Cuban) connection, but it's gone.

Usually they're fakes - Cohiba cigars are the most faked cigars in the world.  Real, Legit Cuban cigars have like quadrupled in price, sadly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Usually they're fakes - Cohiba cigars are the most faked cigars in the world.  Real, Legit Cuban cigars have like quadrupled in price, sadly.  

Nope! The real thing. 

Used to get them when I went down to Miami. Had a connection down there, but I'm out of that line of work now.

Coffee infused ten pack and a five pack of Java Reds.

Cigarbiz had a smoking deal on the coffee infused.  Ten pack of different brands for $55 with "free" shipping.  The 2nd pack is for a buddy.  And it's been too long since I had any Java Reds so threw a five pack in there as well.

Screenshot_20240224-152203_Gallery.jpg