CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

37 minutes ago, Alex V said:

The POS’s at the NJSP won’t make it easy either. 

their directions said to call before you bring in your application. Called several times:  no answer. 

Got through to someone else at the barracks. Firearms guy not in. Send email. 

To his credit he did call me back. Fun story, they withdrew my Change of Address for my FID because the Somerville barracks are not the closest to NC. Okay, calm down, NJ is the size of a postage stamp. What difference does it make? Meanwhile I got zero notification that it was withdrawn. How would I have known? 

So now, instead of applying in Somerville which is 20min from my parents house, and 5 minutes from my in-laws I have have to apply at the station by the Delaware Memorial bridge. Mind you, I fly to NJ all the time for work and fly into Newark. So I have to drive 90minutes instead. 

Watch, when I call that station tomorrow then will tell me it’s the wrong station as well. 

At this point, it’s the principal of the thing. I’m in NJ a total of 20 or so days a year,  but fuck that shit, I want that damn CCW permit just so Bleeding Gums Murphy can choke on the Constitution. 

The SGT at Somerville also said that Murphy issued a bunch of new rules regarding carry today as well. His guess is that we won’t be able to carry anywhere. This is going to be a long battle, but one worth having. 

I looked everywhere and see no new rules that Murphy put in place. I hope they are wrong!

1 minute ago, Jim Jones said:

I looked everywhere and see no new rules that Murphy put in place. I hope they are wrong!

There are no new rules. Right now the only explicitly illegal gun free zone is on school grounds without written permission of the governing officer of the institution. 

murphy has proposed other things but they haven’t been passed yet. I’m guessing he’s waiting to see how New York’s turns out. 

28 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

There are no new rules. Right now the only explicitly illegal gun free zone is on school grounds without written permission of the governing officer of the institution. 

murphy has proposed other things but they haven’t been passed yet. I’m guessing he’s waiting to see how New York’s turns out. 

32 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

It’s the NJSP,  when are they ever right?

28 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Exactly. They just want to make it as confusing as hard as possible. They guy even complained about how many applications he had to process. Whaaaaaaaa. People want to use their rights. Whaaaaa

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

Correct! This should not be taking months on end when the judges are supposed to be bound by the 60 day statute! They are using delaying tactics to bide time until the legislature/Murphy can find a way to turn off the spigot. I fear many of us including myself, will be forced to use the services of an attorney to see the process to its inevitable conclusion. 

What about Middlesex county?

I'm in Middlesex County, I have no update yet and none of my references have been contacted. My prints were done on 7/22/22, so three working days so far. I was told by my PD that I would not have to appear in court (unless there is a denial) and that if the chief approves the PTC then the judge will likely approve as well. 

Thank you, I didn't start that process yet, please keep us updated.

2 hours ago, Alex V said:

The SGT at Somerville also said that Murphy issued a bunch of new rules regarding carry today as well. His guess is that we won’t be able to carry anywhere. This is going to be a long battle, but one worth having. 

Wow.

I wonder what those will look like...

11 minutes ago, samiam said:

In this case, the AC might be more to our benefit than the staute itself (rare!) 2C:58-4, under "c. Investigation and Approval" states: "He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry" where "he" is the local PD chief or NJSP superintendent, whichever is charged with the initial approval or denial. 

Right so that would be the firearm that you qualified with, because the certificate has the make, model and serial number.  I had missed that so the statue actually contradicts itself.

So while a. says

"One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit."

c. "clarifies" that and says that what you intend to carry must be documented.

I see a fight brewing ahead over this, but one obstacle at a time I guess.

• Agree 1

As a side bar, not to disrupt the flow here, but anyone know how someone who still owns property here but resides out of state applies? Local PD here or State Police Barracks? Any advice appreciated. My buddy comes back in August for 5-6 months. 

3 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

As a side bar, not to disrupt the flow here, but anyone know how someone who still owns property here but resides out of state applies? Local PD here or State Police Barracks? Any advice appreciated. My buddy comes back in August for 5-6 months. 

IANAL but IMO if he has a NJ DL then LPD...if out of state DL then SP.

Does anyone else find it insane that there isn’t a single person in this forum that personally received their permit yet? There are tons of people in here and not one has posted they received it! 

side note-we are officially in a recession and the Whitehouse changed the rules so they can say we aren’t prior to the mid terms.

• Agree 1

Just now, Jim Jones said:

Does anyone else find it insane that there isn’t a single person in this forum that personally received their permit yet? There are tons of people in here and not one has posted they received it! 

I don't find it odd as I personally believe that the system is dragging its feet on purpose.  I also feel that if some here have received theirs and don't care to expose themselves by posting about it, that's there right.  I do think that we will have some folks stepping up and telling us that they received theirs by the middle of August.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I don't find it odd as I personally believe that the system is dragging its feet on purpose.  I also feel that if some here have received theirs and don't care to expose themselves by posting about it, that's there right.  I do think that we will have some folks stepping up and telling us that they received theirs by the middle of August.

I will tell this forum the minute I am approved or denied by the superior court. We should al be working together on this.

• Agree 2

About the timing, I had everything in & fees paid by 7/22, notified my app approved & forwarded to the court. For a system not set up to handle numerous applications before the decision came down, I'd say my PD & county are doing OK. Manchester Township, Ocean County.

29 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

side note-we are officially in a recession and the Whitehouse changed the rules so they can say we aren’t prior to the mid terms.

A buddy of mine just got his yesterday, so it's beginning to happen. He's in Passaic County.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

About the timing, I had everything in & fees paid bu 7/22, notified my app approved & forwarded to the court. For a system not set up to handle numerous applications before the decision came down, I'd say my PD & county are doing OK.

PD in my town was great too! Worried about the superior courts.  So far I have only heard people in Passaic getting it. The guy on Instagram in an earlier post and now the Maciej’s friend.

I believ

31 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I believe Gloucester county has appearances on the docket for today, but I could be wrong.  I do for fact know that they only do it once per month currently and in August it is scheduled for the 25th and I have seen a letter from the county for someone that is scheduled for that date in August.

But Gloucester may be getting rid of the appearance requirement today so it may start moving faster.  I will definitely post here as I get info and updates on my status. 

• Informative 1

Just now, RadioGunner said:

Anyone outside of Passaic get a restricted permit? 

I've only in passing heard that someone in Sussex County got a fully unrestricted one that didn't have any firearms listed on it and it was open to carrying anything. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Maciej said:

I've only in passing heard that someone in Sussex County got a fully unrestricted one that didn't have any firearms listed on it and it was open to carrying anything. 

How long ago? That’s great news. Unfortunately I also live in Sussex and haven’t heard anything. 

Called ocean county court today. Was transferred around a bit. Sounds like someone handles these for the judge. I left a voicemail with her to see next steps. Used a random phone number and didn’t leave my name so I don’t go to the back of the list. Keep you all posted.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Called ocean county court today. Was transferred around a bit. Sounds like someone handles these for the judge. I left a voicemail with her to see next steps. Used a random phone number and didn’t leave my name so I don’t go to the back of the list. Keep you all posted.

According to a former prosecutor and also the intake person at the TRPD, Judge Gizinski is your person.  Somewhere on the Ocean County website there is a listing for her secretary and law clerk. Probably best if you contact them instead of Her Honor.

Also, my town PD and the state online system has been sped up considerably. I applied for pistol purchase permits and got the confirmation email in 8 business days. I’ve never gotten anything in less than a month. So at least Toms RIver has people in the PD working on these. 

027E55CB-C788-4DB6-884A-E378E27526D6.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Call the main number for the criminal court they should be able to get you where you need to go.  That's what I did for Gloucester and they were very helpful.

16 minutes ago, galapoola said:

According to a former prosecutor and also the intake person at the TRPD, Judge Gizinski is your person.  Somewhere on the Ocean County website there is a listing for her secretary and law clerk. Probably best if you contact them instead of Her Honor.

Also, my town PD and the state online system has been sped up considerably. I applied for pistol purchase permits and got the confirmation email in 8 business days. I’ve never gotten anything in less than a month. So at least Toms RIver has people in the PD working on these. 

027E55CB-C788-4DB6-884A-E378E27526D6.png

Thanks a lot brother. That is the judge I called and was given to her law clerk. My butt probably would have puckered if the judge picked up the phone!

hopefully they process these quickly.

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you have any intel about who handles applications for Cape May County in the combined Atlantic - Cape May Superior Court? Thanks. 

It's going to be a judge in the Criminal Division, go search on your county's Superior Court. May take a phone call or two.