Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

What's the deal with the zez arms barrel? Is it functional or purely cosmetic? Looks very interesting. Can't say I've seen anything like that before. Very cool.

It's similar to a fluted barrel. They just remove a symmetrical amount of material off the barrel to reduce weight. It's like the middle ground of a heavy and light weight barrel.

Easily tagged a man sized silhouette at 300yds yesterday. Open irons.

My rifle, vitually identical, to yours will do 6-8" with irons off of bags. I'm sure yours will do the same or better with good ammo.

I'm working up a 68gr load for the 300yd stuff because the wind reaks havoc on the 55gr bullets.

My rifle, vitually identical, to yours will do 6-8" with irons off of bags. I'm sure yours will do the same or better with good ammo.

I'm working up a 68gr load for the 300yd stuff because the wind reaks havoc on the 55gr bullets.

Yeah, it was a calm day on Saturday, and I was shooting 55gr. I fired a few 62gr as well (green pills) to see how they hit too.

This thing is a bit better than my short ARs (which I run with H buffers) in that it shoots all my cheapo steel cased stuff and cycles it. The carbines and H buffers don't do this reliably... Obviously the fix is easy (use a CAR buffer), but I'll stick to shooting mil-spec through them.

I'd like to see 300 yards without a scope, and Frank, I'm not talking a range thats 300 yards..

:icon_mrgreen:

I'll get to play with steel on the 100 yard range soon enough at OB, maybe take a 12", 8", 6" and 4" plates and see how I do, going down in size I could simulate a larger target at distance.

Might have to break out the Mosin's and Marlin 336 for some fun. Real calm day and I will try out my Marlin 39A.

I'd like to see 300 yards without a scope, and Frank, I'm not talking a range thats 300 yards..

:icon_mrgreen:

I'll get to play with steel on the 100 yard range soon enough at OB, maybe take a 12", 8", 6" and 4" plates and see how I do, going down in size I could simulate a larger target at distance.

Might have to break out the Mosin's and Marlin 336 for some fun. Real calm day and I will try out my Marlin 39A.

I hit my 8" steel at 200yds at least 50% of the time with my SKS, and those sights suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Harry- We need to get together. 300yds (302 w/ the range finder) with irons (std A2 sights) is really a blast. Now I'm shooting off of sand bags. Rifle supported just ahead of the magwell. I'm sure you could do it. Good rifle 20" barrel, with good handloaded ammo.

BTW gotta know your ammo. I shoot 55gr FMJBT @ about 2850fps. I actually turn my elevation up to 400yds for 300yds.

Frank I'll take you up on that one day, and I'll be playing when the Steel Group buy comes in to see how I really do. Only shot the 100 yard range at OB a few times being I mostly am there when at one of the events, but that will change in the new year.

Frank I'll take you up on that one day, and I'll be playing when the Steel Group buy comes in to see how I really do. Only shot the 100 yard range at OB a few times being I mostly am there when at one of the events, but that will change in the new year.

Harry if you want I would guest you in to CJ, so you can try the 300 yd range.

i sooo want an AR.

Just do it...they can be built fairly easily and cheaply depending on what you want. I just finished my first build and I already have another lower lying in the wait. PM me if you want any help or advice.

Sweet rifles by the way guys. Mine has been posted here but here it is again. I really need to get my photographer buddy to snap some good shots of it!

035.jpg

032.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

Recently put this together for a lightweight carbine to use in my local 3-gun matches. I'm not sure the weight at this time, but i tried to use as much lightweight components as possible for all the major components without getting too exotic and so i estimate the weight at around 6 lbs give or take. The upper is where most of the weight is saved and consists of a minimalistic 16" BCM lightweight barrel (.625 gas block), PWS TTO comp and a 15" API carbon fiber tube topped with a PA microdot on a AD QD mount.

The lower is nothing to speak of, just an ergo grip and a vltor I-Mod. I may go back and change the bolt carrier to a lightweight one and maybe a lighter stock but i can't see shedding much more weight for the cost of those.

In retrospect, I could have done a 14.5" barrel with a pinned Lund comp and a shorter handguard and plum crazy or bushy carbon-15 upper/lower but i'm still leery of those polymer receivers.

IMG_20111229_203706.jpg

Here are some more pics of my blaster. Sorry for the awful lighting, I live in a cave.

photo-37.jpg

photo-36.jpg

Rifle is a Knights Armament SR-15 E3

Magpul ACS Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

Magpul AFG

Magpul XTM Panels

Surefire E2D in a Gear Sector offset mount

Battlecomp 1.0

Geissele SD-E Trigger

Aimpoint CompM3 in a Larue M68 Offset Mount

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle

And of course my LaRue Dust Cover

How do you like it?? Looking to buy one, kinda pricey but for me to.build a ambi lower its 450 for a stripped ambi lower plus parts, might as well just spend the money on a completed ar

Recently put this together for a lightweight carbine to use in my local 3-gun matches. I'm not sure the weight at this time, but i tried to use as much lightweight components as possible for all the major components without getting too exotic and so i estimate the weight at around 6 lbs give or take. The upper is where most of the weight is saved and consists of a minimalistic 16" BCM lightweight barrel (.625 gas block), PWS TTO comp and a 15" API carbon fiber tube topped with a PA microdot on a AD QD mount.

The lower is nothing to speak of, just an ergo grip and a vltor I-Mod. I may go back and change the bolt carrier to a lightweight one and maybe a lighter stock but i can't see shedding much more weight for the cost of those.

In retrospect, I could have done a 14.5" barrel with a pinned Lund comp and a shorter handguard and plum crazy or bushy carbon-15 upper/lower but i'm still leery of those polymer receivers.

IMG_20111229_203706.jpg

How do you like the handguard?

How do you like the handguard?

I'm really liking this one a lot! I chose it because its reasonably priced (compared to the PRI!), very light (some CF tubes like the Firebird use a heavy nut which nullifies the weight savings), easy to install/remove (unlike the DPMS glue on) and seemingly well made. The attachment device is a clever clamp that goes on the factory barrel nut and the tube screws onto it. Some tubes glue on making them permanent but that's not ideal should you ever need to service something under there. All the slots are nicely made and smooth and chamfered and no matter how hot the barrel and gas tube gets, the handguard is cool to the touch down the entire length. Lastly its very light and event with the long length, it keeps the rifle well balanced. I'm really enjoying shooting this.