Maksim

Process to Apply for Handgun Permits and FID

My town recently added the line in bold to it:

My town wants me to sign an information waiver when applying:

"I ______, do hereby authorize the Veterans Administration, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Military Reserves, all Law Enforcement Agencies, City, State and Federal Tax Bureaus,Welfare and Unemployment Services, Credit Bureaus, Schools, Universities, Physicians, Hospitals and other Institutions, to furnish the Borough of Montvale Police Department with any and all available information and copies of records regarding me in order that they may determine whether my application for a Pistol Permit, Firearms I.D. Card or Pistol Carrying Permit, should be granted by the Montvale Police Department.

I hereby release, discharge and exonerate the Montvale Police Department, its agents and representatives, and any person so furnishing information from any and all liability of every nature and kind arising out of the furnishing, inspection or collection of such documents, records, and other information or the investigation made by the Montvale Police Department."

I have the feeling this isn't a standard form from the State Police...

Really you're going to check my credit score?

remove the part that starts "application for" and insert

eligible for parole.....if this is a new hoop to jump through..dammmm

they might as well say if you dont make X amount of income

u dont get a permit or card or maybe thats next.....

its interesting how many small variations there are from area to area. my PD no longer does the fringer printing., they sent me to sagem morpho bimetrics to do the fingerprinting, they charged me 40 bucks. then 7 or 8 bucks for the filing.

I was charged $60 for that. :|

Tip: Never schedule your Sagem Morpho for the latest time slot available on a given day, they tend to close up shop a little early. Ask me how I know ;)

It's been 32 days since I submitted my application (in Jackson). Called the PD and they said they are waiting for federal fingerprint information; all state information is complete. I asked when do they expect to get the fed's information. They said call back next week. So much for the 30 day state requirements.

sheesh ridiculous!

with regards to the references, they need to be instate correct? can i use my gf as a reference that lives with me?

When I applied for my FID I used a friend who lives in NY and it was OK.

I asked when do they expect to get the fed's information. They said call back next week. So much for the 30 day state requirements.

TXDPS has been notified by the FBI that all Fingerprint based background checks will be temporarily suspended beginning April 28, 2010 - May 3, 2010. The FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) will be working with the U.S. Census Bureau to process more than 484,000 Fingerprints for Census Bureau workers.

Beginning May 4, 2010, TXDPS and the FBI will resume processing applicant fingerprints. It is important to note that the backlog of processing the fingerprint based background checks could take an additional two weeks. All applications will processed as quickly as possible once the FBI service returns to normal.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2485531/posts

I asked when do they expect to get the fed's information. They said call back next week. So much for the 30 day state requirements.

TXDPS has been notified by the FBI that all Fingerprint based background checks will be temporarily suspended beginning April 28, 2010 - May 3, 2010. The FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) will be working with the U.S. Census Bureau to process more than 484,000 Fingerprints for Census Bureau workers.

Beginning May 4, 2010, TXDPS and the FBI will resume processing applicant fingerprints. It is important to note that the backlog of processing the fingerprint based background checks could take an additional two weeks. All applications will processed as quickly as possible once the FBI service returns to normal.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2485531/posts

Thanks for the information. Gotta love njgunforums!

sigh...

It's been 5 weeks so far for me after forms/checks submission.....+ 3 more weeks waiting for the Det at local PD who handles such to be available. This almost takes the fun out of it by outlasting my enthusiasm.

By the time I finally get the pistol permit(s) all you guys will already have the good ones!

sigh...

It's been 5 weeks so far for me after forms/checks submission.....+ 3 more weeks waiting for the Det at local PD who handles such to be available. This almost takes the fun out of it by outlasting my enthusiasm.

By the time I finally get the pistol permit(s) all you guys will already have the good ones!

Word to the wise. My NRA basic pistol instructor told me to notify my Mayor (quoting NJ state law, etc). Turned out that he is against 30 day rule and is pro 2nd Amendment. He contacted the Chief. Two days later I had FID and permit. Mayor Reina is the man!

just spoke to my local PD, i was told the background check is $60.25 in a money order to The Division of State Police

Has anyone here ever read the NJ law re: fire arms ID cards and hand gun permits? I hear a lot of talk in NJ about my PD did this or made me do that. Fact is its all laid out in NJ statute 2C:58-3. It stipulates the only money that can be collected by your PD is $5.00 for a FID and $2.00 for each Hand Gun Permit, says "The application shall be signed by the applicant and shall contain as references the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally acquainted with him." with no restricion on the refferences home state, even says " The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2.00, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5.00, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.". also says IN THE LAW. "There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter." Its all laid out in NJ law folks, If the Autherizing Athority starts making up the rules all you have to do is leave them and go to your counties Superior Court. Its free and they will see that its handled to the letter of the law. They did for me. Read the law as the state wrote and don't be bullied by the autherizing athority.

http://criminal-jury.blogspot.com/2007/12/2c58-3-purchase-of-firearms.html

True Fact:

I moved into Belleville NJ. I did not get a permit back within 30 days.

I sent a letter, notarized which stated the following.

1. I was a police officer and not a felon.

2. state laws requires that i should have it within 30 days.

that I intended to file a lawsuit if i did not received my permit or denial of permit letter within 7 days.

I had my permit within 3 days of delivering the letter.

Now, I understand that probably one poor sole gets stuck with this job, I know, I do it.

But if its not getting done, I have no problem suing for a violation of my rights per the state law being violated by the municipality.

Montvalle. I would sue. I need not sign your waiver, which you cannot add to a form controlled by the state. and in 30 days i would send a nasty gram of a pending lawsuit.

True Fact:

I moved into Belleville NJ. I did not get a permit back within 30 days.

1. I was a police officer and not a felon.

that I intended to file a lawsuit if i did not received my permit or denial of permit letter within 7 days.

I had my permit within 3 days of delivering the letter.

Now, I understand that probably one poor sole gets stuck with this job, I know, I do it.

But if its not getting done, I have no problem suing for a violation of my rights per the state law being violated by the municipality.

Montvalle. I would sue. I need not sign your waiver, which you cannot add to a form controlled by the state. and in 30 days i would send a nasty gram of a pending lawsuit.

I suspect you getting your permits were much more the result of #1 rather than #2 and mixing it with notary goodness for special appeal was like forcing some White Castle hamburgers down the throat of the constipated city bureaucracy; two hours later, something is a-brewin.

Switch that up a bit, see if it has the same appeal:

1. I was a garbage truck mechanic and not a felon.

It just is missing that special ring to it. :icon_lol:

Welcome by the way. Some of the guys do a regular thing a BulletHole you should stop by and say hi. So far, none of us bite, not even Ray Ray.

I see where a non-NJ resident would apply to the nearest SP barracks for FID card. What would be the benefit of a PA resident having a NJFID?

To buy a long gun in NJ.

To buy ammunition in NJ.

To transport a long gun in NJ.

State police should allow you to apply. Try another SP barracks then?

State Police won't let you apply at the station if you live in a town that has its own PD. They will, however give you all the needed application forms.

so what allows you to travel to another state with a gun?

FOPA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

"Safe Passage" provision

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.[6]

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.