Dr. Goodshot

Do Pediatricians Ask About Guns?

I have heard various things about doctors asking patients about whether there are guns in their house. I never paid much attention to the debate, but I know there has been back and forth about whether doctors should be allowed to ask that type of thing, etc. But now that a pediatrician-aged person will be joining our household, I am suddenly paying more attention. So, I was wondering if people with kids might let me know from their experiences: is this a thing that happens? Do pediatricians ever ask their patients if there are guns in the house? And what else might come up regarding that? What does, or what should, one say? Or any other insight you might offer.
Thanks

15 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

It had been asked of me and some family members from time to time over the years and it has nothing to do with lead poisoning.

I'm curious what were the circumstances?  Just out of the blue?  What was the response and did you find a new pediatrician?

They ask out of concern for the child's "safety".  It's nothing to do with lead poisoning.

I would say most probably don't bother asking.  But some definitely do.

If they do ask, I would look puzzled and simply ask "What does that have to do with our visit today?"  And if they persist simply say that you really aren't comfortable talking about such topics.  If they still persist simply tell them this will be your last visit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I've had it asked as part of their "questionnaire" form to a new doctor. I left it blank. I've never been directly asked. My response if asked would be the same as glen, basically "I'm not sure that has to do with today's visit."

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

it was on a checklist which I answered "No" and nothing further came of it.

I think putting "No" , instead of leaving it blank is the way to go.  It's not like they can call you out on it, and if they do, you just say "I started to write "none of your business" but got distracted and forgot to put down the rest.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Well there's two parts to this issue. One is any survey forms. This may not be under your doctor's actual control. Then there is the issue of the doctor, who may or may not have their own concerns. My kid's doctor never asked, but he is also fully independent and not part of a medical group. He's also Filipino, so....

One of the forms we filled out for the pediatrician 10 or more years ago had a question about guns.  I don't remember exactly what the question was.  We just moved on to the next question and left that blank. The nurse reviewing the forms understood what no answer meant and did not ask any follow-up questions.

My boys are now 19 & 15. Probably over a decade ago the Dr asked my wife. She told him he should ask me. Next time I went he didn't ask so I brought it up. Told him it was none of his business. I then inquired if his questionnaire asked about vehicles, pools, illegal drugs, and prescription drugs because those things injure and kill more kids than firearms. 

Silence...