BadBul

Call from the Detective

Well I get home from work today and the detective that is handling my application for the firearm ID card and pistol permit left me a message.

I returned the call right away but as you can guess, we are now starting our phone tag...

If I have been reading right, a phone call is good news, a registered letter is bad news.

Hope we contact each other rather quickly, I'll let you guys know how I make out.

How long has it been since you applied? Ive gotten a letter telling me to come down and pick up my permits, but Ive also received a phone call telling me the same....Could be good or bad....As long as a bunch of cruisers didnt pull up in front of your home, and officers didnt get out guns drawn, Id say you have nothing to worry about.

I hope that the case Tony.

From all the posts on different websits that I visit they seem to say when the detective calls it was to pick the FID and permits up. For the people that said they received a certified letter it was for denial.

Well it was a question that the detective needed to know.

The detective and my mother-in-law know each other since before the detective was even on the force.

I live in a two family house that my in-laws own. They live on the first floor and I live on the second floor.

The detective thought that it was a one family house and on my application I only put the address without putting 2nd floor and also only put my wife, kids and myself on the application.

So being that the detective thought that it was a one family house and knew that my in-laws as well as my family lived there that I would have to disclose them on the application.

Once I told the detective that it was a two family house, the detective told me I do not need to disclose my in-laws in the application,

The application isn't done yet and Instead of dragging me to the police station today to put 2nd floor on my app and then again to pick up FID the detective told me that once everything is done I can just come over and print 2nd floor on the app before the paperwork is sent back over to the state police.

Well atleast the app is warm and not sitting in the cold case file. :D

............The detective thought that it was a one family house and on my application I only put the address without putting 2nd floor and also only put my wife, kids and myself on the application.

So being that the detective thought that it was a one family house and knew that my in-laws as well as my family lived there that I would have to disclose them on the application...

I never heard of disclosing who lives with you. Where on the application do you provide this info?

I'm from Orange, I had to go back to one of my early post to remember what I filled out. I know besides the state form I also filled out a form for the police department themselves.

Well today I went for the interview and they handed me a questionnaire, one of the questions was "Why do you wish to purchase a firearm?". I answered "target practice".

Some of the other questions on the form were:

employer

How long at current employer

how long at current household

previous address

List all family members that I reside with

Name/address of nearest relative

other names I may have used in the past

If I have ever applied for a permit to purchase or carry before

scars/marks tattoos

Marital status

In my home town, under a previous police chief, i had to put down every place I ever worked including the years, and if I forgot one or missed the years, he considered it grounds for denying the permit. But that was a long time ago.

............The detective thought that it was a one family house and on my application I only put the address without putting 2nd floor and also only put my wife, kids and myself on the application.

So being that the detective thought that it was a one family house and knew that my in-laws as well as my family lived there that I would have to disclose them on the application...

I never heard of disclosing who lives with you. Where on the application do you provide this info?

Some towns have their own "Information Sheet" that's MUCh more intrusive than what the state requires.