AntZ

Lever Gun

AntZ,

I have a Marlin 39A .22 rimfire that I shoot occasionally. It's very accurate and fun to shoot.

With the price of centerfire ammo as high as it is I will probably be shooting the Marlin more in the future.

I have a Marlin 1894C in 357 mag. I had owned a Marlin 1894 in 44mag, but sold it on this forum. The Marlins are excellent levergun rifles, and lots of fun to shoot. I prefer putting 357 through it rather than 38 special just because I want to feel a hint of recoil. With 38 specials, there is practically none. It's nice to have a rifle in calibers you also own pistols in. I know a lot of rifle people who would disagree, but I'm not using the Marlin for hunting and (most importantly) it makes my reloading life easier.

If you are near Central Jersey, I usually shoot at Shore Shot on Tuesdays (but occasionally at Brick Armory) on Tuesdays. Let me know, and I'll bring it and let you shoot it.

Since you already have a 357 revolver, I'd say you should go and get one. No need to wait for a stupid pistol permit and you don't have to start buying different ammo. The only change I have made to mine was to throw peep sights on it. The semi-buckhorns it comes with are very accurate, but a little slow to get on target.

For Sale Nice Marlin 30/30 model 30a lever action 7 shot carbine. With 3x9x40 scope and weaver look thru mounts for true iron or optic accuracy. Tuned for 2" groups at 100 yards a excellent hunting package with sling pins and factory scroling...

$269.00 Central NJ

Thanks for looking!

W Page

saw this on the firearms forum. You can sign on to reply.

I have an older WInchester 94 in 30-30....Nice rifle, hell of kick....after shooting a box of ammo, you will notice a bruise the shape of the end of the butt stock on your shoulder. Some people like the Marlin version better as it ejects cases from the side. The Winchester is a top eject. They have off set scope mounts to handle this situation if you want to use a scope.

Hey Lunker,

I was thinking of the Marlin in .357 also. Legacy Firearms in Wall has one for $630 (NIB SS barrel). I have no idea whether that is a fair price or not. Any thoughts? Has anyone dealt with Legacy before?

First of all, you will love the Marlin lever gun in whatever caliber and finish you get it in.

I have heard good things about dealing with Legacy. On the down side, I have looked at their website and find the prices to be on the high to very high side. This is in comparison with other online retailers though. It may be more in line with other brick-and-mortar shops though, especially in New Jersey. If you're not in love with stainless (I don't care for it, especially on "classic" guns), then check out Olde English Outfitters. I bought mine from them. They shipped the rifle to my FFL for $10 (it arrived in 2 days!) and their price was super reasonable ($529). And that was for a gun that is near impossible to find without a $75 to $100 markup on GunBroker. Unless you need to hold the rifle in your hands as you purchase it (I know some people will not buy a gun unless they can), I would suggest going with Olde English.

http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/pro ... ategory=26

My son and I have a few levers between us. I bought him a Marlin 336 in 30-30 for his 16th birthday. A few years back we decided to get a win9422 but came to find out the only ones available were limited series models. Ordered the least expensive of the three styles and when it arrived I decided to get another in .22 mag but turned out the factory in Connecticut had just shut down. So, we were lucky to get the first one.