Celraysoda

Being prepared or "Hoarding?"

So I was watching a news clip about ammo shortages. The reporter made a comment after she spoke to a consumer in a gun shop who was buying 200 rounds of 45 just to keep at home and said he is "one of millions of gun owners who are hoarding their ammunition" and "stockpiling".

What do you all have at home in the closet or safe that you don't shoot?

2 Bricks 22LR

1 spam can of Greek 30-06 (192 rounds in en bloc clips)

1000 rounds 9mm

5 boxes 12 gauge shells

Is this hoarding? I think this is standard for any home (or apartment) that enjoys and practices target/sport and home security. What do you consider stockpiling?

I try to keep about 100 rounds of 00Buck and 250 rounds of 5.56. And at least 100 roiunds of HD 9mm, 45 acp, 38 special rounds.

Anything else is extra, but I don't call it hoarding, I call it stock.

I think thats completely normal...perhaps even 1000-2000 rounds for each type you own would be normal in most places...dunno what NJ thinks about that though..they say on the news all the time "there was a stash of ammo" and its like 2 50rd boxes....lol...

definitely not hoarding though...10,000 of each I'd say is hoarding..lol..

Is this hoarding? I think this is standard for any home (or apartment) that enjoys and practices target/sport and home security. What do you consider stockpiling?
I don't believe that it is the standard. You have seen ammo prices rising and supplies diminishing. It makes sense to do this, HOWEVER, if there is no immediate threat of some type of BAN, prices with fall and supplies will rise. Look at the AR buying frenzy right after the election.
HOARDING

to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

Do you keep a supply of food and water like you keep your ammo. I think you keep the ammo as more of a convenience rather than hoarding. Not the norm for all gun owners, only for all shooters.

You guy's are far from hoarding.

I thought I had a ton of ammo then I compared myself to other guys across the country

and I have next to nothing compared to them, and many of them had their stock piles before

the self inflicted ammo shortage. I know a few guy's that are still shooting 7.62x39 stock piles from the 80's and 90's when it was $65-80.00 per 1000 rounds. Don't forget many of the jerk's were buying out the local shops and stores then selling it for a premium on Gun Broker, that's not hoarding just being a dick.

So I was watching a news clip about ammo shortages

They keep running the same news piece even though ammo is starting to flow into the shelves again. They got what they wanted in higher pricing in many cases. Even reloading components are beginning to loosen up. I can buy primers and bullets once again with little problem.

To me being prepared is having the amount that you feel comfortable with. If you are comfortable with what you have don't worry about someone saying it is too much. Now when people are saying it is too little... ;)

So I was watching a news clip about ammo shortages. The reporter made a comment after she spoke to a consumer in a gun shop who was buying 200 rounds of 45 just to keep at home and said he is "one of millions of gun owners who are hoarding their ammunition" and "stockpiling".

What do you all have at home in the closet or safe that you don't shoot?

2 Bricks 22LR

1 spam can of Greek 30-06 (192 rounds in en bloc clips)

1000 rounds 9mm

5 boxes 12 gauge shells

I am brand new to guns and shooting and I have as much or more ammo then you do right now and I am not even remotely close to hoarding.

maybe thats a NJ ammo hoard..... like a .22 rifle , a shotgun and a bb gun are an arsenal in NJ? I know guys with tens of thousands of rounds of ammo...in a few different calibers...Their garage looks like a friggin ammo warehouse.....Now thats hoarding...

Got that right, but those guy's do not call it hoarding, it's stock piling for when SHTF.

Like I said I have a lot but compared to others it's a drop in a bucket. I can supply the block

in small arms and ammo, these guy's can supply the neighbor hood and half of the next county.

Good point. Ammo is back on the shelves.

I did see the guy in front of me buy the last 12 boxes of cmp 30-06...really pissed me off when I was there to buy the last 12 boxes. :x

Was at the range last week and someone purchased two cases of federal 40 S&W. It is probably listed on Gun Broker right now with an 80% mark up.

In my opinion, Hoarding means over 1,000,000 rounds of one caliber :roll: - There should never be any discussion of how much ammo anyone would care to own :!:

It is a free country after all, at least for a little while longer.....

+1

All of my ammo was lost in the same boating accident that claimed most of my rifles. Damn these NJ waters!

You have no legal reason in NJ to have a gun on a boat, therefore since they can't find your guns, they'll charge you with something.

All of my ammo was lost in the same boating accident that claimed most of my rifles. Damn these NJ waters!

You have no legal reason in NJ to have a gun on a boat, therefore since they can't find your guns, they'll charge you with something.

What if he lived on his boat?

When we go shark fishing, we always have a shotty with us. Why do you think they make a Mariner model :lol: One year we had a Mako attack our boat and try to take a big bite out of the transom.

X2. Wouldn't want to try to bring a live mako in the boat that's for sure!

i wouldnt call it hoarding either. more buying it when its cheap, and just saving it. luckily, around 15+ years ago when i first got my beretta, my father stocked up on 9mm, thinking we'll start reloading. of course never did, but the house wound up with several bricks of 22, cases of 9mm and 38, plus at least 2000 rnds of reloaded 9mm. i had to find all this the hard way, after i went and bought new boxes of 9mm.

ammo is one of the things that just doesnt go bad, so you can stock up on it when you find a deal. i wish i could have done the same with gas, when it was down to $1.30 a few months ago.

Anyone who bought at the high prices is not kicking themselves. the dealer shelves around here are restocked for the most part. Gun sales have tanked. It was a short lived bubble. Buying when you can get a great deal is smart. buying at ridiculous pricing just to store it away is foolish.