Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Hello

Hi Kevin.

Welcome.

If you're planning on buying any guns this year, buy them before you leave. It'll be anywhere from 40 days to 6 months after you fill out the paperwork in NJ before you're going to be able to purchase any firearms or handgun ammo here. This also applies to .22 since it can be used in a handgun even if you only use it in a rifle. You can buy it online at some vendors so all hope is not lost.

Also, I saw your post on Rugerforums, the one person gave you incorrect information. You will not need to register any firearms when you arrive in NJ. They are your guns, you are 100% legal, including hanguns. You may use them for any legal purpose including having them in your home, trips to the range, gunsmiths, hunting or transport out of the state. *note* Any guns must adhere to NJ's assault weapon ban. If they do not, you must sell them before you arrive. It mostly has to do with Semi-autos, "evil features", and mag capacity. If you have any specific questions be sure to post about that item.

I would certainly suggest you get your firearms purchaser ID when you arrive. It is NOT a firearms owner ID. The card is for purchase only, it does not convey any legal ownership status to guns in your possession but some cops that don't know the law believe you must have one to own a firearm and this is incorrect.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have already received some good advice. Where in NJ were you considering moving? Some municipalities are far better for firearms owners than others.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ha Ha! We are moving to the Florham Park area. My wife's company offered her a promotion. It's 2 years in the NJ office, then on to somewhere else. Guns or not, it was just too good to pass up.

And yes, in regards to guns in Illinois, I am used to being treated like a second class citizen with something to hide. It also sounds like New Jersey, the law is open to interpretation, and different gun dealers have different "rules".

If it wasnt for the job opportunty I wouldnt even think about moving to NJ! First its definetly a very stringent and overzealous state as far as firearms but thats nothing compared to the property tax, insurance (home owners and vehicle..etc) and from what ive been recently reading its the second most expensive state to live in over all out of the 50+ states in our union next to Hawaii. If it wasnt for my youngest having most of our immediate family in this state we wouldve BEEN gone!Two in college one to go.Any how for what its worth welcome to "Dirty Jersey". Get that FID and find a local range and burn some powder w/the rest of us!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this