Melgamatic

50 BMG - where to shoot

I bought a 50 BMG. More on that soon.

I knew that people shot 50 BMG's at Cherry Ridge, so I went up last weekend to give it a shake-down cruise.

Turns out Gene only allows 50 BMGs on some Thursdays and Fridays. Only on the 200 and 300, although he'll let you sight in on the 100 if you need to do so. He keeps you to the left side of the 200/300 since the berm is in better shape there. Also, no magnetic ammo.

I understand the 200/300 thing, and although it turns out that the new Federal 50 BMG ammo I bought is magnetic / steel core, I understand that part too.

The Thursday/Friday part sucks for me, since I'll be working all those days, and although I have a lot of vacation days, they are taken up with family vacations and Boy Scout and Cub Scout events.

So, my dream of shooting my 50 BMG at CR is shot.

I know you can shoot 50BMG at Cumberland Riflemen, but that's really far from me, over 2 hours, and I'd have to join.

I can get to the PA border on I78 or I80 in around 45 minutes; does anyone know of a range in PA where non-residents can shoot big rifles? It appears that the PA state game land ranges allow 50BMG, at least at the nearby one that has a 300yd range, but can non-residents shoot there?

Is there anywhere else in NJ?

-Dave

Have you ever sat next to a guy with a .50 cal. The concussion from his blast knocks your shells right off your own table. It's also annoying when your own heart takes a vacation for a

few seconds. I think no matter how good the backstop is, it must really take a beating. I've

seen mini avalanches at range 14. :doh:

Out of curiosity...I dont know much about 50 BMG..why are ranges so against it? Even at the range I belong to in Easton PA they say NO 50 BMG. Is it the noise??

short answer. 50 bmg is on the left. It has at least 10x the energy of a .223 and the muzzle blast to match. Closest thing to a cannon that you can own.

300px-Rifle_cartridge_comparison_w_scale.png

My local range allows 50BMG on the 200m only,reasons being the backstop takes a beating and concerns over ricochets at shorter distances.

I'm not so interested in shooting at least 200m, so no problem there. Is your local range a range in NJ that allows new members?

My local range allows 50BMG on the 200m only,reasons being the backstop takes a beating and concerns over ricochets at shorter distances.

I'm not so interested in shooting at least 200m, so no problem there. Is your local range a range in NJ that allows new members?

It's a club in Salem county and we take new members.

I think it's a long way for you tho.

While we allow it, it isn't routinely done. Our berms are large earthen mounds so the backstop isn't an issue. However missing the berm with a 50 BMG can put a round a mile or more downrange. The weight and power of the 650 grain or more bullet is not slowed much by the trees it may impact. One bullet leaves a range causing an incident closes a range. Unfortunately we did have one incident where the shooter was less than observant and almost put a shot over the berm. In practice, few ever show up with them.

We do use one at a fundraiser. The owner buys the ammo and charges $5.00 per round with everything going to the charity. A lot of people like to give it a try.

While we allow it, it isn't routinely done. Our berms are large earthen mounds so the backstop isn't an issue. However missing the berm with a 50 BMG can put a round a mile or more downrange. The weight and power of the 650 grain or more bullet is not slowed much by the trees it may impact. One bullet leaves a range causing an incident closes a range. Unfortunately we did have one incident where the shooter was less than observant and almost put a shot over the berm. In practice, few ever show up with them.

We do use one at a fundraiser. The owner buys the ammo and charges $5.00 per round with everything going to the charity. A lot of people like to give it a try.

That sounds like a terrific idea. How does the fund raiser do?

We raise an additional two hundred or so. We do it twice a year. Once around Christmas when the club hosts a charity match with all proceeds to the town's food bank and toy's for some families. The club is opened to all so we raise over $2000 plus a lot of toys and food for the day.

The second is in August when we host a match to benefit the Chaplain's Emergency Relief Fund for NH military families. It's held over two days. We do the long range events out to three hundred yards and the 50 is an added feature just for fun.

SIG comes with their toys and gives us a handgun to raffle off. Their PR department sends a few cases of hats and decals. We are hoping to get H&K involved as they have a facility right across the road from the Air Force facility.

It's capped off at a big event at a large local brewery with tons of food, entertainment and raffles. We raised almost $5500.00.

I thought Range 14 stopped allowing you to shoot 50bmg. We sold one to a member a while back. I know he was having a real hard time finding a place to shoot it. I think cherry ridge only allows it during comps. Could be wrong tho. But let me know ab range 14.