Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

Teach sold gun: cops

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bron ... vlrcEvomHN

A city elementary-school teacher was arrested yesterday and charged with selling a rifle and more than 500 rounds of ammunition to an undercover cop in Manhattan, authorities said.

George Digilio, 41, negotiated the sale of the .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle and ammo in several phone conversations he had while working yesterday at PS 117 in The Bronx, where he teaches second-grade special education, a law-enforcement source said.

After leaving school for the day, Digilio drove to West 110th Street and Riverside Drive, where he met the undercover officer at about 5:45 p.m., police said.

The customer paid an undisclosed amount, and Digilio was then busted, cops said.

"It's a significant amount of ammunition," noted the source, adding that police "were shocked" at the fact that Digilio is a public-school teacher.

Digilio, who lives in Peekskill, Westchester, faces several weapons charges.

He has worked for 15 years at PS 117, in the Melrose section.

An Education Department spokesman declined comment.

"It's a significant amount of ammunition," noted the source

man, i hope they don't ever come to my house.. :D

500 rounds of 22LR can fit in two packs of cigs. Also in NY state you just need a drivers Licence/ID to by a rifle. His mistake was doing it in NYC.

One more scumbag off the streets, good riddance.

Not so fast you don't know the whole story. This guy was an upstate resident but violated NYC law. A bullshit law at that. His crime as depicticed was violating NYC law not state or federal. He may have made a stupid mistake and the Bloomberg boys are capitalizing on it!

Not so fast you don't know the whole story. This guy was an upstate resident but violated NYC law. A bs law at that. His crime as depicticed was violating NYC law not state or federal. He may have made a stupid mistake and the Bloomberg boys are capitalizing on it!

+1, I hope your right, but from the looks of it, it's not good..

OMG - another deadly 10/22 is off the streets. Bloomberg should be so proud. :roll:

in the wrong hands a 10/22 could be deadly. didnt the guy that killed the security guard at the holocaust museum use a 22lr rifle?

on the other hand, i dont think its the weapon of choice for most criminals. everyone knows that criminals prefer black guns

Not so fast you don't know the whole story. This guy was an upstate resident but violated NYC law. A bs law at that. His crime as depicticed was violating NYC law not state or federal. He may have made a stupid mistake and the Bloomberg boys are capitalizing on it!

whats the law for NY face to face rifle transfer? how is NYC different?

OMG - another deadly 10/22 is off the streets. Bloomberg should be so proud. :roll:

in the wrong hands a 10/22 could be deadly. didnt the guy that killed the security guard at the holocaust museum use a 22lr rifle?

on the other hand, i dont think its the weapon of choice for most criminals. everyone knows that criminals prefer black guns

In the wrong hands, XXssy is deadly. :shock: As is a kitchen knife, a screwdriver, a hammer, a rock, a piece of glass, etc. I can just see the headlines Man arrested for possession of assault glass and 5,000 glass cutters.

true. sorry. it's just a pet peeve of mine since i've actually argued with people that considered a 22lr and a BB gun in the same category. not that i think anyone on this forum is that dumb. and wouldnt treat a 22 with the same respect they'd treat any other gun.

is the 22lr the same as an sr-25? no. but its definitely no bb gun.

I mean really, come on. A 10/22 with a brick of ammo and he's in this much trouble? No wonder Pete escaped from New York!

im kinda 50/50 on this though. i mean, you look and its a 10/22 and 500 rds and say its not a big deal. but then again, any irresponsible gun owner that does something stupid like illegally selling a gun, especially today when info is so readily available, just makes the rest of the community look bad. should he spend 20 years in prison for this. probably not, but he is an idiot and should pay the price.

The messed up part is Face to Face sales are legal in NY state. I guess they are not in NYC (I wonder if the guy knew that). This story is being blown out of proportion. It is not like he was selling a fully auto rifle. NYC has a lot of ignorant gun laws that do not exist anywhere else in the state.

It sounds to me like this guy is getting screwed.. especially how they are capitalizing that he is a school teacher making it sound like he sold at school..

how did they meet, was the gun in an add ?

instead of telling him no you cannot sell that in person in nyc they set him up and ruined his life cops suck..

The messed up part is Face to Face sales are legal in NY state. I guess they are not in NYC (I wonder if the guy knew that). This story is being blown out of proportion. It is not like he was selling a fully auto rifle. NYC has a lot of ignorant gun laws that do not exist anywhere else in the state.

+1...Many LE and Prosecutors are ignorant of gun laws. If anybody has a problem with me saying this I will give you my personal exprience off line.

I loathe NY with such a passion. Everything I wanted to say has already been said. I can't wait till the supreme court ruling and maybe possible national reciprocity if the republicans get back in power and they try the thune amendment again.

Such a shame. A contributing member of society that is criminalized for doing something that is perfectly legal in 99.9% of the country and the assholes in NYC are going to ruin this guy's life. I love the way such a big deal is made of the ammo. 500 rds of .22 LR is pretty typical - they make it sound like he is some kind of terrorist or gang punk. Hopefully the courts will have more compassion, but anyway you cut it, this is a life altering experience for this poor schlub.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Does everybody realize that if the seller completed this transaction 30 miles to the north in Peekskill, even to a NYC resident, it would have been perfectly legal. And the buyer when he transported the rifle into NYC would be the criminal. I bet, just guessing, that the undercover officer insisted on the transaction take place in NYC. Could be entrapment.

But this guy is probably looking at $30k in legal fees and a year in jail. If he doesn't beat it. If he beats it he still has his legal fees.

Does everybody realize that if the seller completed this transaction 30 miles to the north in Peekskill, even to a NYC resident, it would have been perfectly legal. And the buyer when he transported the rifle into NYC would be the criminal. I bet, just guessing, that the undercover officer insisted on the transaction take place in NYC. Could be entrapment.

But this guy is probably looking at $30k in legal fees and a year in jail. If he doesn't beat it. If he beats it he still has his legal fees.

I agree they baited this guy. Don't forget he also brought a firearm on School property. Cops set this guy up. But at the same time shame on him for not knowing the laws where he worked.

What law did this guy break? What is it illegal to sell a rifle face to face in NYC?

Must be a slow news day. You would think by the title "Teach sold gun: cops" he was selling a gatling gun to a student with down syndrome.

What does his profession have to do with the story anyway?

It's no different then when a guy who flkunked out of the academy and NEVER worked a the street is describes as a "Cop".... Newsies Suck.

Such a shame. A contributing member of society that is criminalized for doing something that is perfectly legal in 99.9% of the country and the assholes in NYC are going to ruin this guy's life. I love the way such a big deal is made of the ammo. 500 rds of .22 LR is pretty typical - they make it sound like he is some kind of terrorist or gang punk. Hopefully the courts will have more compassion, but anyway you cut it, this is a life altering experience for this poor schlub.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

+1 Well said.

I agree that the teacher got the short end of the stick... on the flip-side, the law is there, regardless of our opinions, if someone can't follow them (whether they chose not to or didn't educate themselves prior), does he really deserve any sympathy? I'm not saying he's a criminal to the same effect of violent crime/sexual offenders, but a part of being a responsible citizen is being able to be... well, responsible.

Now, if the teacher is made an example of and totally screwed by the city, that's a different matter all together.

I agree that the teacher got the short end of the stick... on the flip-side, the law is there, regardless of our opinions, if someone can't follow them (whether they chose not to or didn't educate themselves prior), does he really deserve any sympathy? I'm not saying he's a criminal to the same effect of violent crime/sexual offenders, but a part of being a responsible citizen is being able to be... well, responsible.

Now, if the teacher is made an example of and totally screwed by the city, that's a different matter all together.

It's a good point. However I think it was a little over dramatic on the Police's or prosecutors part. I mean if the guy selling a dozen AK's ok then you got a hard core guy. But this was probably a guy who was getting rid of his old varmint gun.

Now we will get to see what the NRA is good for.They should be all over this considering how the mayor hates guns and all. This is there chance to knock him back a step while defending basic 2A rights at the same time.

We all know how well the gun laws are written in NY/NJ. Maybe he misunderstood what was allowed as he was from north of the city. Hell every time I want to buy/sell a gun around here I need to reread the laws several times. Maybe I'm just dense, but seems like they were written for situations like this. Make some poor soul a criminal. Just my 2cents.

Thankks,

Jimmy