PeteF

Question for Rng 14 members

I was thinking about going down to Ft Dix to join the range, when it occurred to me that Ft Dix is a government installation (yeah I know Duh). I've worked at other area of the base where I had to go through security checkpoints to get to the area where I was working. Are there any checkpoints you need to go through to get to the range?

I guess if you have a range membership card they would give some leeway, but if I just showed up with a couple of guns in my trunk would this cause a problem?

Thanks

I had the same thought, as that's always been what I've been use to in my past experiences as well.

However, while Range 14 is located on DOD property, access is from a public road that requires no checkpoints of any kind as the person is not accessing the installation itself-- but simply a piece of its surrounding land which it owns. The ranges and bivouac areas are still in use by both MIL and LEO, but Range 14 is a public MWR facility.

Keep in mind that DOD Police have jurisdiction on the road. You will see a sign when you cross on to the installation. The checkpoints are established for access to Mainside.

What Tim is saying is that the speed limit is THE SPEED LIMIT. 25 means 25, not 26, and certainly not 30. These guys do NOT fool around.

Actually, the place NOT to speed near there is Cookstown (part of New Hanover Twp). Speed limit is 25 going thru there southbound on CR 66somethng towards Range 14, then opens up to 45 at the installation boundary. There is no pleading out with that town. Pay up & get the points! Many moons ago I got a ticket on Hope Rd. in E-town from the MPs (when there were actual MPs at Ft. Monmouth still) and it was actually a Tinton Falls ticket, no magistrate. FWIW, you can shortcut to range 14 by making a left onto the dirt road just past range 13

Watch it coming out of the range....I got a ticket for using my cell phone last week after pulling out of range road! I was guilty but TWO MORE POLICE CARS pulled up behind the car that stopped me. I assumed it was because I told the police officer I had a gun locked up in the trunk. However, they never even looked.

I think they are bored and just don't have enough to do.

He saw me coming from the range and asked me if I had any weapons in my vehicle. I told him I had a 9mm in the trunk. He asked if it was properly secured. I said yes and that was it.

Cool,

Wondering what I would do if stopped

I think as long as I avoided pulling the weapon out as the officer was approaching the vehicle, I would be OK(edit to add :lol: )

Actually, the place NOT to speed near there is Cookstown (part of New Hanover Twp). Speed limit is 25 going thru there southbound on CR 66somethng towards Range 14, then opens up to 45 at the installation boundary.

I always set my cruise control on that little stretch. The cops like to hang right at the speed change.

that stretch through cooks town is always patrolled. 90% of the times I travel that road to ft dix, I see LEO at the beginning and end of that stretch. If you see flags lining the street, your speedo better read 25 or less.

There is always a fool hauling ass through town that gets pulled over.

or.... just dont do stupid crap. =)

at the end of the video, he still gets a ticket, while being a douchebag.

If he graciously pulled over, and just took it, would of saved himself some time, and most of all, did not become an incident in the LEO's mind.

But if you are guilty, then I guess that video gets you enough time to get off. Key is... dont do drugs.

This is what I got out of the video:

"why did you pull me over"

"am I being detained, or can I go now"

"I don't consent to any searches."

Those three questions/statements put the officer in a position where he must follow the rules. Of course he can decide not to, but you will have the most leverage possible (later in court) if he decides to overstep his bounds.

Maks, you can fill in the rest with your charm and aplomb. :D