Sign in to follow this  
Guest *_*

Is it just me or is 1911 the most accurate handgun?

Is it just me? I think that the 1911 in 45 is the most accurate thing you can use.

I own a bunch of different pistols, glocks, beretta, sig, kimber, smith, and just seem to think a 1911 with a 5in barrel is the most accurate...what are your thoughts?

The 1911 is pure junk, JUNK I SAY. As a public service please send all 1911's to me. I know, I know its ok, I'll take 1 for the team :D.

For me its the trigger that sets it apart. Now of course there are MORE accurate pistols out there but... Im just not interested in them at this time.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-HAMMERL ... -3532.aspx

really? i think the 1911 is so sexy but i wanted to stay away from it as my first gun cause its in 45 and i assumed i would be a lot more accurate with a 9mm. afraid id lose interest if i was a miserable shot cause of the caliber. on the other hand if you settle for less than what you really want its also possible to lose interest. but in my case theres only one cop who does FID and PPPs in my town and hes impossible to find so i'm going to lose interest because its all only a dream to me. :sad-roulette:

I think the accuracy of 1911's has alot to do with it's design. Loads od guiding surface in the slide and barrel bushing for repeatable lock-up. Ergonomics people favor or have gotten used to. Crisp triggers. 100 years of development and it should be a good pistol.

BTW one of mine is the most accurate handgun I own.

1911 does well... but nothing beats the model 52- 2

My52-2_640.jpg

My mother has two of these beauties. For those not familiar with the 52 it's designed 100% as a target gun, and will only shoot .38 wadcutters and holds no more than 5-rounds... but holy crap is it freaking accurate as hell.

I find that my Smith is more accurate than my kimbers.

My52-2_640.jpg

My mother has two of these beauties. For those not familiar with the 52 it's designed 100% as a target gun, and will only shoot .38 wadcutters and holds no more than 5-rounds... but holy crap is it freaking accurate as hell.

This is the only Smith semi I would own up till their 1911 Pro series. I want one.

What does it for a 1911 is a good crisp trigger. You would be shocked at how much a short clean break will improve your shooting.

I have a performace center one, the Doug Koenig...right out of the box that thing was really tight...

I had a Colt GC that wasn't worth shit. The old Kimber's accuracy was almost impressive. Then Ed Brown renewed my faith.

Some guns just make you look good as far as out of the box accuracy. But it's usually a combination of things that starts with you. For instance the MK23 just feels obnoxious but it puts holes where I want them every time. The P7M8 feels like it was designed with my hand in mind and does the same thing. I do not like the feel of the HK45 at all, but damn I would pit it against any $2-3k 1911.

Great target gun! My favorite for punching holes in paper. With the 38 wadcutters it makes a perfect circle in the paper. The cloverleaf you get when shooting tight groups is kinda neat. These pistols have a touch more recoil then a .22 and practically zero muzzle flip if you attach the frame weight to the dust cover.

My52-2_640.jpg

EchoMirage, my appologies! I meant to answer your luger question and ended up editing your post. :oops: -ta

talking ergonomics, a side note: im sure plenty people do, but does anyone know why the luger has such a drastically angled grip??

55 degrees IIRC. The idea was for it to be a natural pointer (which it is). The drastic angle along with the streamline design caused the barrel to go straight up as apposed to side ways during recoil. This allowed for quick sight acquisition during follow up shots. I don't know if this was intentional or a case of "oh yeah, I meant to do that".

I'm not talking about handguns specifically designed for target shooting like the Model 52 S&W here but guns suitable for carrying.

The 1911 is one of the most accurate platforms around but have found my Taurus PT99AF (1988 vintage) extarordinarily accurate. My vote for the most guaranteed out of the box accuracy is a S&W K frame 38 Special of just about any model.

The Model 58 was spec to shoot 1/2" at 50 yds. Every gun was test fired and if it didn't pass was hand fitted until it did.

Wolfy are you talking the S&W Model 58 and if so the old one or the new one? To maintain that degree of accuracy in a standard handgun without a super premium price would quickly put a manufacturer out of business.

Yes they are pretty accurate for auto loaders. The tighter ones especially like Wilson, Brown, Baer. I have a Baer SRP with the 1.5" option that came with a test target that's just one ragged hole, They guarantee it will shoot under 1.5"@50yards off a rest.

EchoMirage, my appologies! I meant to answer your luger question and ended up editing your post. :oops: -ta

talking ergonomics, a side note: im sure plenty people do, but does anyone know why the luger has such a drastically angled grip??

55 degrees IIRC. The idea was for it to be a natural pointer (which it is). The drastic angle along with the streamline design caused the barrel to go straight up as apposed to side ways during recoil. This allowed for quick sight acquisition during follow up shots. I don't know if this was intentional or a case of "oh yeah, I meant to do that".

so much for free speech

so much for free speech

Yeah, that's it. Get over yourself it was an accident :roll:

have you no sense of sarcasm?? apparently not

I can speak it, I can translate it, but on the web I can't always recognise it. 8-)

Is it just me? I think that the 1911 in 45 is the most accurate thing you can use.

I own a bunch of different pistols, glocks, beretta, sig, kimber, smith, and just seem to think a 1911 with a 5in barrel is the most accurate...what are your thoughts?

Personally, with a due respect, my thoughts are that your assessment is likely incorrect. That is an honest assessment, not a slap at you.

I could list why, but maybe share with us what led you to believe what you posted. Aside from your overt fondness for the platform, I am genuinely curious since .45's are not normally known for their accuracy. Is it your familiarity with the 1911 perhaps?

By the way, my next handgun purchase is likely to be a HK .45 USP (if not the .40), so I have nothing against the round. Again, just trying to understand your frame of logic.

Personally, with a due respect, my thoughts are that your assessment is likely incorrect. That is an honest assessment, not a slap at you.

I could list why, but maybe share with us what led you to believe what you posted. Aside from your overt fondness for the platform, I am genuinely curious since .45's are not normally known for their accuracy. Is it your familiarity with the 1911 perhaps?

By the way, my next handgun purchase is likely to be a HK .45 USP (if not the .40), so I have nothing against the round. Again, just trying to understand your frame of logic.

I dont know! Thats why I am asking! LOL...I have a glock 30 that is as accurate as hell, I have a P220 that is accurate as hell. So I am wondering is it the gun? Is it the round? I use a 1911 in .45 for all of my competitive shooting (uspsa, ipsc), I am not a champ or anything, but it goes where I want to...more my curiosity as to what others think.