lexcruiser

Chicago's list of "unsafe guns" posted

What I want to know is, what kind of bass-ackwards logic did they use to come up with this list??

Pay special attention to the Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 being singled out as "unsafe."

HUH?? What makes them any less safe than other firearms, or more specifically, other 22LR handguns like the Ruger???

:?: :?: :?:

Here -

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal ... -final.pdf

All Hi-point? I think this is a list of cheap guns, not unsafe guns. Hi-points are cheap and ugly, but certainly not unsafe.

The goal is of course to push the cost of guns up so as to discourage as many people as possible.

From the list, it seems to me that a case could be made for discrimination based on cost. You are depriving the very people that need to defend themselves the most, the ability to do so by listing all inexpensive firearms on the banned list. Hi-Point leaps out at me as a prime example. While the "poor" is not a protected class, this is one instance where playing the race card would be worthwhile.

I have a feeling the Mosquito & P22 are on the list because whoever made up the list may only be aware of the threaded barrel versions of these guns. Unbeknownst to them that they are available in standard barrels, or that there are several Sig CF handguns that are available with threaded barrels.

Just grab some popcorn and a soda and pull-up a chair, this is going to get interesting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This list needs to be fought for sure, on the basis (at least) that no objective criteria has been supplied which disqualifies products as unsafe. While there may be plenty unsafe guns on the list, there are also quality manufacturers listed (Marlin, etc). And the important point of price level as discriminatory regulation (like poll tax) could be reviewed by price analysis across the manufacturing spectrum, comparison of safety records/features of like guns from different manufacturers.

OTOH, Charter Arms, Kel-Tec, Ruger, Taurus, S&W (spur trigger only, whatever that is) are not listed. These makers make some very good arms and not expensive new except for S&W whose used revolvers would be excellent.

This list will be more fodder for lawsuits, for sure. As a side note of interest, I find the list interesting in itself just because I had NO IDEA there were so many makers. Googling them will be fun.

From the list, it seems to me that a case could be made for discrimination based on cost. You are depriving the very people that need to defend themselves the most, the ability to do so by listing all inexpensive firearms on the banned list. Hi-Point leaps out at me as a prime example. While the "poor" is not a protected class, this is one instance where playing the race card would be worthwhile.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

i'd bet anything your right..I'm sure they had a sit down and said 'if I were poor what could I buy"...the birth of a list.....

So I guess Ed Brown's, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk custom 1911's aren't banned. But they cost well over 2000 so only the poor will be hurt. This list is rediculous.

I don't understand why ACLU or some advocacy group won't pick this up for discrimination. The list is obviously targeting a lower income bracket, and, beyond the whole gun issue, is purely discrimination.