theRU

Another dumb question: Body armor

Ok guys, i've never been in the military and i'm looking online and I cant really find the answer. So my question is, how do you wear body armor? I see that you can buy plate carriers, but they're plain and dont have any pockets for supplies. So do you wear that and then buy another vest to wear over it?

For instance do i combine this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE134-1.html

and This:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BJR015-1.html

Or am i missing something?

Incase anybody is wondering, i'm just thinkin about having some protection in a SHTF scenario and i'm looking for ballistic proection and being able to stuff my pockets with supplies and gear.

thanks

You have the right idea. There are some grunts here who could probably give you a better break down, but generally speaking that's how the configuration has generally worked (body armor + MOLLE bib). With the popularity of MOLLE though, many plate carriers now double their duties, and people put pouches directly on those systems.

Honestly, you don't want to lug around hard plates. If you're that concerned, get soft armor, and a chest rig or battle belt config. If you need something that stops higher powered rounds, you're probably in a situation that you won't get out of in one piece. Pounds equal pain.

My disclaimer: I do prefer the feel of plate carriers compared to chest rigs. I have used both in the field, and, simply, carriers are my personal preference-- so, I'm not questioning that. Instead, I'm just saying you probably don't need a plate carrier + plates.

A plate carrier like the first has MOLLE attachments all over. You can purchase MOLLE pouches and attach them - it's really easy. I have a bunch of gear like this, including a couple of plate carriers. I even have an old "bulletproof" vest, without the plates, but it still has the soft padding.

However, I think it's really difficult for a civilian to purchase the plates you need.

It really comes down to preference. While there is more freedom of movement with chest rigs, plate carriers are not as bulky/clumsy as people think. Further, finding a chest rig that has room for GPs (general purpose [pouches]) and hydration (in the form of a MOLLE attachable bladder pouch) are either rare or expensive (and/or both).

Wearing a low-vis/profile plate carrier, like this: http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Low_Vis_Arm ... ag.566.htm

And then wearing a chest rig over, like the MAV from TT: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/mav-modul ... vests.aspx

While it would be hot, and take some time getting use too, the advantage is supreme. While these could work in conjunction (similar to the current deployment setup for USA-- US Army), they could also be used as separate systems. Say, going to the range (as no range is safe from asshattery), you can wear low-vis BA. And if you do paintball or are in a situation where you don't necessarily need the BA, then the MAV has its use.

IMO, this might be a better alternative then buying a genuine battle-rattle plate carrier, as they can run 400+ (not including pouches, etc). That low-vis BA vest is $110, the MAV is $60-72, and then of course you would have to include pouches and BA. Which, all together might run you about the cost of just an aforementioned plate carrier.

Disclaimer: I'm discussing this topic with the naivity that you can obtain body armor in a legal fashion, and that it would be used in a legal fashion. I do not, and would not, ever advocate committing any type of crime with BA, and I believe what I've shared reflects that. Also understand that I'm speaking from the perspective of someone in the military (as your question was rooted in a "SHTF" scenario, and not necessarily every day life), and my advice is based on that. Of course its not normal to walk around with BA/chest rig, but in a hypothetical situation, its not unreasonable to ask. Of course this opens up the topic to "overt vs. covert in a SHTF situation" (whether a person should keep a low profile or more open profile; how that would impact them and the perception of them; whether it would act as a deterrent or sh-t magnet; etc).

i have this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... =MOLLE-723

stuffed with this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... u=MIL-2115

from what ive read, as long as the armor itself (kevlar panels) have not been exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time, and have not sat in 120+ degree weather for years, itll last far beyond the dates posted. people have shot at the flak jacket with several different caliber pistols, and even having dates of 15yrs old and more, they still stopped certain rounds. i know its not a bullet proof vest, its a flak jacket. but for the price, and the ability to double up or add more panels, its a very good starting point.

also, unless you wear a cop type vest, to be worn under a shirt, there is no use in wearing a plate carrier underneath a chest rig. itll weigh 40lbs and be more bulky and constricting then 2 parkas. if you want to build something, get a plate carrier and add pouches.

as far as room, my vest holds a hydro carrier, 12 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, shotgun pouch for 12rnds, first aid kit, and enough room to hold more general purpose pouches, mag pouches, plus a shotgun scabbard on the back.

Further, finding a chest rig that has room for GPs (general purpose [pouches]) and hydration (in the form of a MOLLE attachable bladder pouch) are either rare or expensive (and/or both).

Airsoft actually helps in this situation. I have a MC Plate carrier with plenty of room for GP's and Hydration. I have a big hydration bladder and carrier in the back, 3x double AR15 mag pouches, and 2 large GP pouches. Dump pouch I place on the belt itself, as well as a paddle holster. I could put even more on.

Here's a plate carrier I have just lying around. It has a hydration carrier in the back. I don't have any more black pouches otherwise i'd put a bunch more on.

IMG_9976.jpg

Heh, I was talking about chest rigs, not plate carriers. Of course PCs are going to have plenty of room for all of that stuff with the expansive real estate. Chest rigs on the other hand often do not have any space except for the necessities (mag pouches, and maybe 1 GP).

As I've said, its all preference. I have a PC and chest rig for different conditions (as every situation is mission-oriented).

Heh, I was talking about chest rigs, not plate carriers. Of course PCs are going to have plenty of room for all of that stuff with the expansive real estate. Chest rigs on the other hand often do not have any space except for the necessities (mag pouches, and maybe 1 GP).

As I've said, its all preference. I have a PC and chest rig for different conditions (as every situation is mission-oriented).

Oh - I agree with you there. I have a SOE (Original w/ black trim) CQB Vest. It has plenty of mag pouches but not much room for other stuff. I had to add a butt pouch to it to store some other things.

I bought soft IIIA armor from bulletproofme.com. The cloth carriers that they sell will work fine for underneath regular street clothes, but they have no molle attachment/gear carrying capability.

I decided I wanted to get a molle capable vest that would also hold my soft IIIA armor and also allow me to use SAPI plates in addition if I chose to get some later.

There's very few carrriers/vests that do this (hold soft "street" armor *AND* also SAPI plates), but one that does it (and I bought) is tactical tailor's hybrid enhanced vest:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/hybridenhancedvest.aspx

HEV_front_350.jpg

The frequently have sales that put the price closer to $250. There's also an ar15.com forum discount code they accept - search for it.

Bulletproome.com will also sell you SAPI plates as well as soft armor:

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Rifle_Protection.shtml

A plate carrier like the first has MOLLE attachments all over. You can purchase MOLLE pouches and attach them - it's really easy. I have a bunch of gear like this, including a couple of plate carriers. I even have an old "bulletproof" vest, without the plates, but it still has the soft padding.

However, I think it's really difficult for a civilian to purchase the plates you need.

Unless you have local ordinances against it, there aren't any hoops to jump through. I called in an order for a full set of plates to BulletProofMe.com and had them in a couple days. Now getting used to wearing armor while training is interesting as you fatigue alot faster even though each plate only weighs 6-8lbs. My advice would be if you buy a plate carrier, don't get black unless you specifically need it for night ops. OD or coyote tan would be much preferable for use during the day. Armor is heavy and it doesn't breathe well so something as simple as a non-black color does wonders.

god that is stupid. just take every fucking thread of freedom away from us. how often do you hear of a crime being committed while wearing armor? the only one i can think of is the north hollywood shootout. not columbine, not VT, not just recently in connecticut.

I just wonder how far this could go... first they don't want us to be able to protect ourselves actively. Now they want to limit the ability to protect ourselves passively by wearing armor... I guess the next one should be putting a target on the back of our jackets for an easy aiming. Somehow I have a feeling that I've seen that before. Sick...

Yeah I only have the black one because I won it in a raffle. Anyone want to buy it? :p

I normally use a multicam PC.

If it fits, I do! Bring it Sunday Nick. I'll try it on.

god that is stupid. just take every friggin thread of freedom away from us. how often do you hear of a crime being committed while wearing armor? the only one i can think of is the north hollywood shootout. not columbine, not VT, not just recently in connecticut.

Need to just get the f*ck out of this sh*thole state and move to a free state!

Ok guys, i've never been in the military and i'm looking online and I cant really find the answer. So my question is, how do you wear body armor? I see that you can buy plate carriers, but they're plain and dont have any pockets for supplies. So do you wear that and then buy another vest to wear over it?

Having both is specific to a military application. If you were in Fallujah or baghdad you might be required to wear the plates at all times. So why carry all the extra door kicking gear with you when you are walking around the FOB? In that environment you are worried about snipers and artillery.

On the other hand, a SHTF scenario in the US, you want the body armour to be more like a 'go bag.' you pick it up and you have all your shit in one motion. We, as Reserve soldiers in a NYC based Transportation Company, always kept the armour with a first aid kit and ammo pouch. Some guys liked to have the extra options with a light suspender type rig but for the most part if we had to roll we knew we at least had ammo and first aid with the plates. My first choice after the armor was the Camel back. Anything after that made me nervous, because;

All that extra crap keeps the medics busy should you need help. A simple vest is easy if you know the trick, wrap it up with extra kevlar and webbing crap and that is time against you. let me rephrase that, medics know to cut, your fellow soldier with a first aid kit don't work like that.

One other thing, you might be interested to know that when we were first issued body armor and SAPI plates we wore it every day for 2.5 months during stateside training. This was a bare minimum really as for as getting your body strengh up enough to where it was not bothersome. And trust me, EVERYONE struggled with it, no matter what kind of shape they were in.

I know for myself, I wouldn't want to go from daily life to SHTF SAPI plates with all kinds of extra shiite hanging off of it. That crap hurt like hell in 3 hours with just the plates. Then it was pain for 4 straight weeks.

If I were looking to do what you are doing I would also look for carry-all pants for all those gizmos. Just remember all that stuff you see on a guy is for a super tactical soldier the is in great shape and wears it daily. Don't think you can go from 0-60 like that.

And NEVER forget that sometime you need to go prone. This was especially true for me because I carried the SAW. You dont want all that extra stuff pushing your ass up in the air when you are trying to get small.

I know for myself, I wouldn't want to go from daily life to SHTF SAPI plates with all kinds of extra shiite hanging off of it. That crap hurt like hell in 3 hours with just the plates. Then it was pain for 4 straight weeks.

If I were looking to do what you are doing I would also look for carry-all pants for all those gizmos. Just remember all that stuff you see on a guy is for a super tactical soldier the is in great shape and wears it daily. Don't think you can go from 0-60 like that.

This is why I was suggesting body armor and the rig as two separate systems in my earlier posts. I have the same general experience; and, like most/all units, my kit was more mission-oriented (more mobility then firepower).

Regardless, unless someone is a part of a larger unit, and they are about to undertake a prolonged firefight, I don't see the point of carrying more than 6-8 magazines max (this is with 5.56/.223 in mind, not 7.62/.308). I know there are some people who would carry a whole armory on them if they could (and in theory it'd be for the best), but on average 120 rounds suffices. Of course since we're in NJ, and our magazines at most can carry 15, that is the reason why I say 6-8 max instead of some rigs I've seen that carry 12+. Again, I don't say there is anything wrong with carrying 12+, but pounds equal pain (argument of mobility vs. firepower).

This is why I was suggesting body armor and the rig as two separate systems in my earlier posts. I have the same general experience; and, like most/all units, my kit was more mission-oriented (more mobility then firepower).

Regardless, unless someone is a part of a larger unit, and they are about to undertake a prolonged firefight, I don't see the point of carrying more than 6-8 magazines max (this is with 5.56/.223 in mind, not 7.62/.308). I know there are some people who would carry a whole armory on them if they could (and in theory it'd be for the best), but on average 120 rounds suffices. Of course since we're in NJ, and our magazines at most can carry 15, that is the reason why I say 6-8 max instead of some rigs I've seen that carry 12+. Again, I don't say there is anything wrong with carrying 12+, but pounds equal pain (argument of mobility vs. firepower).

Yes. I consider the ammo partion necessary. You need to be able to fight. But I was considering the OP's link to a vest that would go over the shoulders again, and that looked like it was to carry more than just ammo.

Putting your ammo on the molle is going to hurt, no question about it, but its ammo...soo..

I would hesitate putting anything else on my shoulders of lesser priority, I wouldn't. I would find, as you say, a separate system, but not a shoulder bourne one.