JonF

What BUIS's does everyone like?

I'm looking for a set of sights in the $100 range for the pair and noticed that Magpul has thier MBUS Gen2 in the 2010 catalog (but not yet available). The main difference is that these are slightly more compact than the original Gen1 model. What are some other good options out there?

post-1550-088389600 1284619093_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, the MBUS is a great set of a sights for a non-duty, non-HD rifle. Basically a range toy or plinker. I wouldn't put those sights on a stick I may depend on to save my life or my loved ones simply because they are not as durable as traditional metal sights. I have heard from more than one customer about broken MBUS sights due to overtightening the clamping screw, an accidental drop that snapped the sights off, etc.

Most of my rifles are outfitted with Troy sights: HK front and DOA rear, to be exact. These sights are more or less bombproof. They're very robust, hold zero and can take a real beating without failing. I especially like the DOA rear sight aperture because it's a diamond rather than the traditional circle. The corners of the diamond make it easier to center the front sight post. I prefer the HK front sight to the M4 front sight because the protective "ears" curve inward, rather than out, which serves as additional guide to the post. The original folding rear battle sight is also a fine sight. You can see that other manufacturers/vendors would agree as they offer the Troy-produced sight with their own markings (BCM, Noveske, and Larue are the three that come to mind immediately).

Another good set of metal sights is the LMT detachable series. The front sight is pretty standard and with the rears, there's a choice of the detachable tactical rear sight or the detachable carry handle. The tactical sight is nice in that you don't need a cantilever mount if you're also using an optic such as an Aimpoint. I've always been a sucker for the retro carry handle sight as the handle itself helps guide your eye as you're looking through the aperture.

Guest Damagedworld

I only have used Troy.. and I was VERY happy with them..

I've used the Troy BUIS to good effect and I currently have the KAC Micro BUIS on my SR-15, which are excellent. I've heard good things about the MBUS but I have my doubts about them being able to withstand punishment. The idea of BUIS is that they're still around when your primary optic gets blown to ****, banged up, or just drops dead.

That HK front sight is HK416 style, right?

Also - fyi the big "MIDWESTPX" watermark you have through the image of that HK sight makes it almost impossible to see the detail of the sight itself.

I've since switched to a much subtler mark. Unfortunately, it's proven to be necessary due to some unscrupulous dealers stealing the pictures that only myself and my photographer have the copyright to.