Sign in to follow this  
nkung

pistol ammo Carbines whats good for cheap

I am looking for a Carbine, mainly something that uses 9mm pistol ammo. I am open to suggestions.

Originally was looking at the M&P 15-22, but then decided to go for more power. Looking into Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. I want to stay in the 300-400dollar

range if possible. Reason for Pistol ammo rifle...mainly so i can stock only one type of ammo, which I already carry and can use the rifle in most indoor ranges.

Please give me some insight. I am new to RIfle world. Thanks

Check out the Beretta CC4 Storm. It's a little pricier than the high point, but is a popular gun at a good value, very ergonomic and the optic rail is perfect for a nice red dot like a Primary Arms Micro Dot or a Burris FastFire II.

The Hi-Point carbine is cheap but you do get what you pay for. The trigger guard I found to be very small (and I have tiny hands to begin with) and the trigger is absolutely awful, which in turn makes accurate shooting harder. The lifetime warranty is cool and if you want something that will go bang the hi-point is your gun, but I figure you ought to get something a little better.

You should look into the Kel Tec SUB 2000 it's an excellent pistol caliber rifle at a lower price than the Beretta and they make great products. It also takes Glock magazines which are very easy to come by. http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

Also they have been discontinued but I really like the Ruger PC9. You can find them used on Gunbroker though a little pricey. They are very light and handle great, I think the stock on the SUB 2000 sucks. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192768168

Ditto on the Storm. There was one for sale on this board at some time. I know that Hagues Gun Range in Paulsboro carries them in stock. You can even rent them to see if it is for you.

I can't vouch for the Hi-Point or Kel-Tec, but I can give you one advantage of the CX4 Storm that swayed me.

My wife, height and size wise is in Snooki territory. She does not have the upper body strength to hold a shotgun. She barely has the strength to cock the Storm. But the Storm is totally ambidextrous, and allows you to place two charging handles along the side.

We don't keep guns in our house loaded, but if she ever needed to load it, she can slap a magazine in, shove the barrel into the carpet, shove the buttstock into her chest and use both hands on both charging handles to chamber a round. That isn't something you can do with the Hi-Point.

By the way, if you are married, and your wife is petite like mine, this makes and excellent argument for spending the extra $300. Because it's... you know... for her.

-Bether

I also have a CX4 storm and love it.. I dropped in the aftermarket trigger because the factory one is kind of mush.. but this is a really nice light weight carbine.. hits COM at 100 with the factory sights all day long.. this gun is so enjoyable to shoot that 1) I have been offered cash at the range for it... 2) my g/f who is not that into guns will not allow me to sell it... lol they can be a little more pricey but I would save up and go that route..

My wife, height and size wise is in Snooki territory. She does not have the upper body strength to hold a shotgun. She barely has the strength to cock the Storm. But the Storm is totally ambidextrous, and allows you to place two charging handles along the side.

We don't keep guns in our house loaded, but if she ever needed to load it, she can slap a magazine in, shove the barrel into the carpet, shove the buttstock into her chest and use both hands on both charging handles to chamber a round. That isn't something you can do with the Hi-Point.

By the way, if you are married, and your wife is petite like mine, this makes and excellent argument for spending the extra $300. Because it's... you know... for her.

-Bether

HHAAA! you described my girl friend to a T! and that is the exact same experience we had with the storm! she is left handed.. I am right.. takes about 5 minutes to switch it back and forth! it is also really easy to adjust the LOP, as there are different butt pads that make it longer or shorter!

HHAAA! you described my girl friend to a T! and that is the exact same experience we had with the storm! she is left handed.. I am right.. takes about 5 minutes to switch it back and forth! it is also really easy to adjust the LOP, as there are different butt pads that make it longer or shorter!

There are alot of women out there. No reason for you guys to be sharing the same one. :icon_rolleyes:

There are alot of women out there. No reason for you guys to be sharing the same one. :icon_rolleyes:

ha

Hah yeah - Why don't you leave the bolt locked open on the Cx4 Storm? This way she can just slap the mag in and hit the release.

that is actually a good idea.. my g/f can work the charging handle.. but it does take her a little effort.. leaving it like you described WOULD make it a lot easier!

I have a Ruger PC4 (40 cal) it is an accurate, fun and reliable gun. My wife can easily operate the action. I wanted a carbine/pistol combination that would use the same ammo and magazines. After looking at the options I went with Ruger. The PC4's trigger isn't the best and it is a ilttle on the heavy side but it is as reliable as they come.

i have the camp 9, kel-tec sub2000 and storm 9mm all are fun the storm is by far the best. you can tell the differnce in the quality of the firearm, the sub2000 is very accurate but a little awkward(weird) to shoot, the camp 9 is fun havent shot it in a long time. i didnt like the hipoint at all.

i have the camp 9, kel-tec sub2000 and storm 9mm all are fun the storm is by far the best. you can tell the differnce in the quality of the firearm, the sub2000 is very accurate but a little awkward(weird) to shoot, the camp 9 is fun havent shot it in a long time. i didnt like the hipoint at all.

for the storm get the Sierra Papa trigger hammer and spring next time you have some extra cash you want to burn.. makes the firing feel a lot smoother.. its not so much lighter.. just less mush... lol

Beretta Cx4 for the win! I wanted a pistol/carbine too and it was either the Kel-Tec or the Cx4. I wanted a quality firearm so I went with the more expensive Cx4. I also have the Px4 which uses the same magazines. Accurate, reliable, handy, fully ambidextrous, accesories gallore, and fun to shoot.

Hah yeah - Why don't you leave the bolt locked open on the Cx4 Storm? This way she can just slap the mag in and hit the release.

I thought about leaving the bolt locked open, but I don't like the idea of storing the rifle under pressure like that.

One neat thing about the Storm is that the safety can engage with the hammer forward. So I can store the rifle with the working parts forward and the hammer fired. That way, nothing is under tension.

That extra cocking handle was only $18 and well worth it for my wife, as well as for general use. I primarily use the CX4 as a "starter gun" for friends or neighbors who are interested in shooting. I don't want to start them with a shotgun because of the recoil. And I don't want to start them with a handgun because their groups may be all over from flinching or bad grip. The Storm has effectively no recoil and just about anybody can make paper-plate sized groups out to 50 yards - a big confidence builder. If they are a lefty, the extra cocking handle makes it that much easier for them to charge the weapon and get used to the gross motor skills of using the cocking handle.

I disagree that you get what you pay for. It seems that every gun mentioned has a

little fine tuning that you need to do for it.The guy says he wants to stay in the 300-400 dollar range. The Hi-Point is the better choice..... Lifetime warranty... whats wrong with that. Ugly... yes. But functions just the same as the others. If you feel that more money

buys you a better gun.... I have a bridge in NY for sale.... CHEAP!

I disagree that you get what you pay for. It seems that every gun mentioned has a

little fine tuning that you need to do for it.The guy says he wants to stay in the 300-400 dollar range. The Hi-Point is the better choice..... Lifetime warranty... whats wrong with that. Ugly... yes. But functions just the same as the others. If you feel that more money

For a quick gun to shoot without any real value, yeah the Hi-Point wins. But that's all it really is. Comparing Beretta to a Hi-Point is like comparing a minivan to a sportscar.

Saw this post while doing a Google search for "Fastfire II" and "CX4", but thought I'd take the time, make an account, and try to give some useful input (and doing this on my BlackBerry, while getting my 6mo old to sleep, so please bear with).

Full disclosure... I am passionate about Beretta's, so I am somewhat biased. However, the reasons I am passionate about them is because of quality, reliability, and because of the pride Beretta has in their product. Beretta is the world's oldest family owned company, with nearly 500 years of history. They are one of the few companies this day and age that are not simply concerned about bottom line, but also about standing behind every product they put out. I currently own four Beretta's, have owned others prior, and even bought a Tomcat for my mom for her first CCW after my dad died. To this day, the only malfunctions I have ever experienced were due to bad primers, or in one case, a poor quality mag (what do you expect out of a 30 round no-name mag for $12?).

Anytime I have dealt with Beretta USA, or have heard of experiences with Beretta USA, they have all been positive. When I got my Beretta 92, it was an LE trade in ($300, with minor holster wear, near mint internals, and tritium sights w gas still charged). I called asking about a user guide, so I would have a copy to go with the gun when I give it to my son one day. 5 minutes on the phone, and 72 hours later, I had a Beretta 92 user guide in my hand for that gun, no charge. My buddy got an LE trade in as well. He called them up letting them know he got an LE trade in, and asked about getting an inspection. Long story short, he got it back a few weeks later, fully inspected, and they swapped out the used spring for new, all for just the cost of shipping.

Now, with that said, the CX4 is a fine weapon. It is fully customizable, which for someone like me, who prefers to overprepare rather than under, it is perfect. It comes standard with a side rail, a slide out bottom rail, two mags, cleaning kit, typical paperwork, and a really nice molded hardcase. Optionally, you can add a top rail, 2nd side rail and a 2nd bottom rail, giving you 5 in all. Beretta sells a variety of foregrips, a barrel shroud, and a few other odds and ends. You can easily set it up righty or lefty in minutes.

Disassembly is the easiest on any rifle/carbine I have fired. push out one pin/plug with your finger, slide the two halves apart, take off the charging handle (or in my case BOTH of them. Like I said about overpreparing, in case my dominant arm is incapacitated for whatever reason, I can still easily ready the weapon), slide the bolt assembly out from the fixed barrel, and you are done with all major components.

You have the option to go 9mm, .40S&W, or 45ACP. 9mm and .40 are solid performers, but .45 seemed "ho-hum" when I fired it. From articles I have read, the 9mm and .40 show a noticeable increase in velocity, whereas the .45 not so much. I believe the .40 is gaining approx 200 fps vs the PX4 in .40, but I have honestly not tested them myself with proper instrumentation.

Finally, as you said earlier, you wanted to match calibers, in order to only purchase one ammo type. The CX4 takes it a step further, for those who either own a Beretta pistol, or plan to own one, as the 9mm and .40 can be configured to not only shoot the same ammo, but use the magazine of the respective Beretta pistol you own. I purchased my CX4 in .40, to accompany my PX4 .40. At the time, we were living in a neighborhood that seemingly turned ghetto overnight, and there were multiple instances that we ended up with multiple police cars blocking off our street due to home invaders on the loose. So, multiple times, I opened the safe, gathered the PX4 and mags, and got my wife and kids locked up in a room, then grabbed a rifle and stripper clips, in order to keep watch until the authorities arrived, and suspects apprehended. It was this real life experience that showed me the true value in a pistol/pc carbine combo. I purchased the CX4, and set it was already set up to accept the PX4 mags. Only one incident occured after the purchase, and then we moved next to the country club, but in that final experiences, precious seconds were saved as I grabbed the guns and a handful of mags that worked in both guns.

Now, let's say I sell my PX4, or it is off to the gunsmith, and I had a Beretta 96 (also .40) laying around, the CX4 can be modified with a magwell insert to accomodate the 96 mags also. Same goes in the 9mm. It can use PX4 or 92 mags with a simple conversion.

Ultimately it will come down to what you intend to use it for and your budget. The most widespread complaint I have heard is the trigger on it feels off. I am being completely honest with you when I say this, but if that is the biggest complaint, there is not much to not like about this gun. This is where intended use comes into play. Could the trigger feel crisper? Most certainly, and there is an aftermarket kit that can help achieve it. If your intention is to use the carbine as a fun gun, or for competitiom, the trigger is a weakness. If you are using it primarily to save your life, I am not sure it will be a big issue. I have fired all three calibers on the range, and the trigger pull did not keep me from cutting out a large hole where my 10 zone used to be using iron sights only. I have a hard time beleiving that in a high stress situation and your adrenaline is surging that the feel of the trigger will effect your results.

On the flip side, I have no personal experience with using hipoint guns. I have heard good and bad for them, and personally know two people who own them. I cannot give you a good, credible review of how they function, and will not be one of those typical know-it-all board posters, who have an answer for everything, and in turn make up something I have no clue about. The one thing I can say, however, is that the two people I know that have them (one being a co-worker) always seem embarrassed that they own one. In fact, when the topic is brought up with the co-worker, he first qualifies the response with "I got it as my first gun in college, and couldn't afford anything else." not saying that pride in ownership is going to save your life in self-defense, but I must say, I personally need every advantage I can get. If someone has the jump on me, I would rather have a gun with a solid reputation, that I know goes bang when I want, and that I am proud of, rather than the one that I am having to justify.

Here is the bottom line, from my advice, as it is long, and you probably will not read it all... Be true to yourself. Knowing what you want begins with knowing why you want it. While Beretta has the qualities that give me comfort, the same isn't true for others. Why my buddy is orgasmic about Glock and Sig, I do not get, but I do not need toN because they work for him. If price is the biggest concern as to why you would rather get the "couldn't afford anything else" type of gun, rather than a higher priced brand, even if you do not buy, do yourself a service. Go to gunbroker.com, and find a guy named Ray Tanner (tannerguns). He sells CX4's in 9mm and .40. I got mine from him. He is a good guy. He is quick to reply, keeps you updated on status, and is all business. My buddy is a dealer, and sells me any gun I want at $25 over cost. The best he could get on the CX4's was $750, my cost. Through Mr. Tanner, I got a NIB CX4 .40, and to my suprise, it came equipped with the optional top rail. My price, shipping and all, was just over $600. It is a little north of your range, but for all you are getting, combined with his 60 day layaway ($100 deposit, and balance in full within 60 days) it's hard not to justify financially. I am in no way affiliated with the guy, so I hate to sound like a commercial, but he impressed me, and I am gonna get the 9mm CX4 from him after I get my desert eagle. :)

All the best with your decision, if you haven't made it yet. If so, maybe someone else will get some use of it.

• Like 3

a storm requires zero work out of the box to work well.. my g/f has a hard time missing at 100 yards with just the factory sights.. the recommendation that I made in reference to the FCG is one made to improve the smoothness of the pull.. it is far from necessary.. the CX4 that I purchased was bought used.. from a pawn shop.. no manual.. no case.. no nothing.. and straight out of the box.. the gun was solid at 100 yards or less.. I could not ask for more.. the reality is this (and I say this with no disrespect to anyone) but there are a couple kinds of gun owners... there are the people who look for the best buys, doesn't splurge for that top shelf item... and then there is the guy that buys once and is done with it.. sometimes the frugal buyer makes out.. and that UTG scope holds zero.. and works well for his (or her) application.. but sometimes they may go through several cheaper variations in a quest to just get one that works well.. I am the second group.. I may own less than 10 firearms.. but they are all thought out purchases for specific tasks.. they are equipped with higher end parts.. I do this because I would rather buy high and regret it once.. than ruin a range day trying to figure out a FTF or FTE.. or waste hours chasing zero on a $50 Chinese scope.. this buy quality and cry once mentality has worked well for me.. you will potentially own a well cared for quality firearm for the rest of your life.. even if the quality version is twice as much.. when you divide that out over a lifetime of use.. isn't it worth it?

I'm glad you were able to get in touch with Beretta. Could you perhaps forward me their contact number? I've been trying to get in contact with their customer service department and have yet to get a single person on the phone!

Well, I hope I am not giving you what you already have, but in terms of phone numbers, I am assuming that the rebate was sent to/processed at Accokeek, so the first step would be too call that site (800-237-3882). If you have exhausted that option, the alternative option to contact customer service would be by asking the question through the customer support webpage. Directions This link has the instructions, and the main page for customer support, in case you haven't been there yet, is http://www.berettasupport.com/

With all of that said, I would just box them back up with a brief letter, and supporting documentation, and just send it back to Accokeek, and make sure contact info is provided in case there are any questions. That certainly depends on your trust level, but my two cents is that they likely aren't going to try and cheat you out of a pair of free mags.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have yet to get a single person on the phone from that phone number or any other - plus all of their orders are being fulfilled by Brownells. I doubt they're the ones that sent the mags. I opened a case on the berettasupport.com site but they have yet to do anything about it - 4 days later. Sigh.

I have a Kel Tec Sub2000 in .40 S&W that takes glock 22 mags. I bought a couple of 15 rounders for it. It has been 100% reliable so far, but I only have 250 rounds through it. I'll have it at Bullet Hole tonight if you want to shoot it. Great plinker and home defense if it remains reliable.

What type of 40 or 45 ACP cal mags can the Storm accept? Can you get close to 15 rounders for it? I'm not a big fan of 9mm. I'd love to have one in 45 and would consider 40 cal. It is on my to buy list after a couple of shotguns.