DevsAdvocate

Update: It Broke today... - JUST IN! MY mossberg 930!!!!!!

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

Took it out to Chester today, did 3 rounds of trap (11, 12, and 14 hits).

Shoots great, but it has trouble cycling the birdshot ammo I have... it's not too bad since trap is one shot per turn, but I kinda want it to work every time. It's not terrible, I just need to pull back the bolt to extract it.

I want to see if buckshot or a higher power load cycles better.

Anyone doing trap tomorrow in Sparta? My dad and I may go.

Also, great deal at Dick's for shot shells... $4.50 a box. Got a few cases.

DA, it has to be broken in. Give it some time, shoot some heavier recoiling loads to loosen her up.

Definitely does. Put 75 rounds of Remington 2.75" #8 shot gun club shells through it. 1 in 10 cycled the gun right... maybe too light a load?

Also, I did break down, clean, and oiled the thing with rem oil... not a lot. But a coating on most parts.

It's tough for a shotgun that can handle 3" shells to also handle light trap loads unless the mfg specifically builds the gun for it.

Cleaning it may help but you might have gotten one with a spring that's on the high side of tolerance.

It's a nice gun no matter what. Cheers.

Hey DA. Congrats on the gun. I have one myself. Quick question about cycling 2 3/4 loads. It should have no problem at all. Did it ever cycle for you ever? If not then the "gas seal" might not be installed properly of not installed at all. Happened to me once when I switched from the rifled barrel to the smooth bore barrel and I forgot to take if off the one barrel.

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

Took it out to Chester today, did 3 rounds of trap (11, 12, and 14 hits).

Shoots great, but it has trouble cycling the birdshot ammo I have... it's not too bad since trap is one shot per turn, but I kinda want it to work every time. It's not terrible, I just need to pull back the bolt to extract it.

I want to see if buckshot or a higher power load cycles better.

Anyone doing trap tomorrow in Sparta? My dad and I may go.

Also, great deal at Dick's for shot shells... $4.50 a box. Got a few cases.

Hey DA. Congrats on the gun. I have one myself. Quick question about cycling 2 3/4 loads. It should have no problem at all. Did it ever cycle for you ever? If not then the "gas seal" might not be installed properly of not installed at all. Happened to me once when I switched from the rifled barrel to the smooth bore barrel and I forgot to take if off the one barrel.

EDIT: Ok, just checked again.

The gas seal on the gas piston appears to be in place. It's the metal ring with rotates on the end of the piston, right? The manual also makes mention of a "seal ring" which is not seen used on all models...

IMG_2765.JPG

It DID cycle the 2.75" shells a few times, just not consistently.

You're making me worried... :icon_redface:

Yes that is the piece I am talking about. I wouldnt worry about it yet. Maybe just a good cleaning and shooting it some more will help. There are "ports" under that seal drilled into the barrel. Kinda tough to see them but spray some gun cleaner in them. They might be clogged. I wouldnt worry to much. Mossberg has some pretty good customer service when I called them once about a stock.

EDIT: Ok, just checked again.

The gas seal on the gas piston appears to be in place. It's the metal ring with rotates on the end of the piston, right? The manual also makes mention of a "seal ring" which is not seen used on all models...

It DID cycle the 2.75" shells a few times, just not consistently.

You're making me worried... :icon_redface:

Hey, anyone know where I can find a good fiber-optic sight for my 18.5" HD bbl? The bead sight def sits a bit low... plus I hear FO is a lot more visible in low light.

Thoughts?

A higher sight may change your POI relative to your POA, and you may need to change the way you mount the gun to accommodate the change. That said, WalMart has a cheap magnetic FO sight that should fit the gun just fine.

A higher sight may change your POI relative to your POA, and you may need to change the way you mount the gun to accommodate the change. That said, WalMart has a cheap magnetic FO sight that should fit the gun just fine.

Well, I only ask because the FO sight on the 28" bbl is on a vented rib, and sits much higher than the bead sight on the 18.5" bbl...

A higher sight may change your POI relative to your POA, and you may need to change the way you mount the gun to accommodate the change.

Ken is absolutely correct. Altering the bead may alter your POI. You should try patterning both barrels to determine where they impact (POI) based on your shooting style before you alter your sights.

Try this trapshooter's trick to see where your gun's POI is in relation to your POA. While this method is preferable for finding the POI for the ideal trap gun, you can also use this as a guide for field/hunting guns or SD shotguns:

1) take a 2' or 3' square white paper target and draw a small 3" aiming dot in the center

2) pace off 13 yards and post the target at eye level

3) using a full choke tube, shoot for the center of the aiming dot with an ordinary birdshot load

4) the majority of your pattern at this range should be 2"-3" wide.

You should see any deviation of the core of the pattern left or right at this range. If the majority of your pattern is 1" above the aiming dot, your gun is printing a 60%/40% pattern at about 40 yards; meaning slightly high. This is preferable for some trapguns and what some trapshooters prefer, but for a hunting gun used for turkeys you should be dead-on, or 50%/50%. High/low deviation is sometimes easier for the shooter to compensate for in a shotgun than when confronted with a left/right deviation.

Hope this helps.

Guest tAKticool

I was advised to break mine in with 00 Buck so I did, I am not sure if it's necessary, if it's right/wrong/waste/etc... But I used probably 25-35 rounds of 00 Buck to start my 930, (15 regular winchester 00 Buck, 2 or 3 5 packs of Hornady TAP premium HD, and some odds and ends) then I ran 10-20 mixed random birdshots, and I've been gravy since.

one hint for trap, point the gun do not aim it and u have a flat shooting gun so block the bird out and then shoot and keep your cheek down on the stock don't lift your head and make sure you shoulder it correctly, just some hints also you want to see very little to no rib when you look down the barrel with that type of barrel almost just the bead maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 top of rib in your sight. i break 23's consistent :) just some pointers and nice gun

Went out today at a range near our place in South Carolina... aka the "USA". Did 4 rounds, got a 22, 16, 19, 19...

Oh, and it worked flawlessly today using birdshot. Gonna take it to an indoor range and give the 18.5" bbl a workout.

Guest tAKticool

I'm curious what long barrel do you have? As much info as possible if its not too much trouble.

I'm thinking about picking up a longer barrel for my 930 SPX, I didn't see an immediate "BUY ME" on the Mossberg website but I think I was leaning towards a 24" (seems like a real happy medium plus, i am only 5'8" so anything bigger is a little tough for me) and I guess it was a bead sight, maybe Fiber Optic ...

What do you have? See I love the 930SPX setup[ but would DEFINITELY be inclined to spend $200 for increased versatility etc. I had a 24" Benelli Supernova SteadyGrip FiberOptic that I had to sell this summer, 6 mo after purhcase... it was AMAZING I just really wanted the Benelli Supernova Tactical. and I've yet to buy the SNT, I got my AR yesterday and the Pump Shotgun is now 2 or 3 prioritys down the list.

I'm curious what long barrel do you have? As much info as possible if its not too much trouble.

I'm thinking about picking up a longer barrel for my 930 SPX, I didn't see an immediate "BUY ME" on the Mossberg website but I think I was leaning towards a 24" (seems like a real happy medium plus, i am only 5'8" so anything bigger is a little tough for me) and I guess it was a bead sight, maybe Fiber Optic ...

What do you have? See I love the 930SPX setup[ but would DEFINITELY be inclined to spend $200 for increased versatility etc. I had a 24" Benelli Supernova SteadyGrip FiberOptic that I had to sell this summer, 6 mo after purhcase... it was AMAZING I just really wanted the Benelli Supernova Tactical. and I've yet to buy the SNT, I got my AR yesterday and the Pump Shotgun is now 2 or 3 prioritys down the list.

SPX setup is illegal in NJ btw...

Mine has a 26" vented rib with fiber optic sight and an 18.5" HD bbl.

It only had trouble shooting low powered loads, but from what I've read, it takes time to break in, and should be cleaned more during low powered load shooting.

Buckshot cycles with no issue.

For $500... I'm satisfied, and as it breaks in, it will get better.

Guest tAKticool

As I have a custom made magazine from Choate Machine and Tool mine is perfectly legal, but thank you for your attempted information.

Here's a thought:

As there is no law, rule or restriction preventing a non-licensee from possessing "temporary blocked" magazines, could not an individual place a dowel in the tube to restrict it to six rounds, i.e. two round hunting regulation? :icon_mrgreen:

Here's a thought:

As there is no law, rule or restriction preventing a non-licensee from possessing "temporary blocked" magazines, could not an individual place a dowel in the tube to restrict it to six rounds, i.e. two round hunting regulation? :icon_mrgreen:

I like that idea... but who's gunna be that guinea pig? :icon_e_wink:

Here's a thought:

When nj.com reports that persons' arrest, do you think they'll make that little fact clear?