Sign in to follow this  
Guest *_*

Who is as excited as I am for the shotgun opener?

Guest megaman

I am excited as hell for next week.

I have decided to take out a rifle sight on my slug gun this year.

I will be using slugs for deer and bear.

I will go out early monday, sit in my stand and watch the 'Animal Parkway' about 600 ft up this hill on private land out by Stokes. This one area acts as a parkway of sorts. Its an animal path through the thick trees on a small plateau of the hill.

Lots of thick hemlock trees so its a dark area for me to sit in. I have a clear shot to the 'parkway'...

I plan on baiting and setting back 102 yards in a tree for bear.

Deer I will plug away as I see them...

My bait is grape jelly and DND....it works!

Who else will be out? Whats your plan?

Not against hunting, and plan on shooting some small game and maybe a deer this year, but I never found baiting and sitting back to wait for it to find the food and then shooting it while it's eating very sporting. Just me. I hate that saying so makes me sound anti though because Im totally not.

I'm uber excited too! :icon_e_biggrin:

I have next Friday off and a half day on Tuesday. Will try to get out of work on time (3:30pm) the rest of the week. I also may go out this week. Zone 12 (Regulation Set #8) Shotgun Permit Dec 1-3 for Antlerless deer. New Camo bibs should be here by Friday. I haven't been deer hunting in 8 years. ....Yes very excited!

You can practically hand feed the deer with a powdered jelly dough nut from DND.

I am excited as hell for next week.

I have decided to take out a rifle sight on my slug gun this year.

I will be using slugs for deer and bear.

I will go out early monday, sit in my stand and watch the 'Animal Parkway' about 600 ft up this hill on private land out by Stokes. This one area acts as a parkway of sorts. Its an animal path through the thick trees on a small plateau of the hill.

Lots of thick hemlock trees so its a dark area for me to sit in. I have a clear shot to the 'parkway'...

I plan on baiting and setting back 102 yards in a tree for bear.

Deer I will plug away as I see them...

My bait is grape jelly and DND....it works!

Who else will be out? Whats your plan?

Guest megaman

Not against hunting, and plan on shooting some small game and maybe a deer this year, but I never found baiting and sitting back to wait for it to find the food and then shooting it while it's eating very sporting. Just me. I hate that saying so makes me sound anti though because Im totally not.

And thats fine, its your opinion.

This is also why some hunters get game, and some dont.

It really boils down to this. I have done the 'walk 20 miles looking for deer hunt', or the 'I just shot it and trailed it for 3mi, now where the hell am I and how do I get it out of here', or the 'You go this way, Ill go that way and push them hunt.' Ive done all of that plenty of times, this year I am going to sit in my stand, bait an area, harvest animals in my controlled area, drag them DOWNHILL and back to the cabin for some **** talk' and knife sharpenin...lol.remember, you are going to have to gut and cut the animal up. That means ripping things out and blood and knives...

Remember, this bear hunt is a management hunt. A management hunt must be treated as such. Its not about being a trophy hunter, its about helping NJ manage the bear population. We moved in on them, and now we have to kill them. Its very human. Employing technique is very sporting and nobody is guaranteed a kill. I will stop hunting and harvesting animals when everyone I know is fed and full.

A bear got hit last night on 202. 150-200 pounds! They're all over the place!

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2010/11/bear_hit_and_killed_on_route_2.html

That was 5 minutes from my house. Was within 0.5 miles from there today. I have yet to see any bears around here, but people have claimed that they are here.

I will head out today if the rain stops, and I will definitely be out there tomorrow morning. Using an 870 Wingmaster with 21" Hastings bbl and Bushnell Banner 1 - 4x scope. Going to be shooting the Federal Barnes Expander slugs.

And thats fine, its your opinion.

This is also why some hunters get game, and some dont.

It really boils down to this. I have done the 'walk 20 miles looking for deer hunt', or the 'I just shot it and trailed it for 3mi, now where the hell am I and how do I get it out of here', or the 'You go this way, Ill go that way and push them hunt.' Ive done all of that plenty of times, this year I am going to sit in my stand, bait an area, harvest animals in my controlled area, drag them DOWNHILL and back to the cabin for some **** talk' and knife sharpenin...lol.remember, you are going to have to gut and cut the animal up. That means ripping things out and blood and knives...

Remember, this bear hunt is a management hunt. A management hunt must be treated as such. Its not about being a trophy hunter, its about helping NJ manage the bear population. We moved in on them, and now we have to kill them. Its very human. Employing technique is very sporting and nobody is guaranteed a kill. I will stop hunting and harvesting animals when everyone I know is fed and full.

I hear ya, Hey we aren't all going to have the same opinions on stuff. To each his or her own in my opinion.

As for the bear hunt I think it sucks that we have to kill wild animals because we have encroached on their habitat. We as humans really do mother nature a great disservice in general. We pollute the **** out of it, we spread like a disease and then kill off things that are in our way. Sad

On that note.. I wanna go bird hunting but have no idea where to start!

-Take a hunter safety course, then go out and shoot some clay pigeons with your shotgun until you get proficient.

-Buy a hunting license and pheasant stamp.

-Travel to the closest WMA during hunting season.

-Walk through all the thickest brush you can find.

-When the bird explodes, good luck!

Bird hunting really isn't too hard to pick up. You should try it!

-Take a hunter safety course, then go out and shoot some clay pigeons with your shotgun until you get proficient.

-Buy a hunting license and pheasant stamp.

-Travel to the closest WMA during hunting season.

-Walk through all the thickest brush you can find.

-When the bird explodes, good luck!

Bird hunting really isn't too hard to pick up. You should try it!

I got my first hunting license when I was 13 years old. I am now 33. I renewed my license this year for the first time since I was 17. I used to go hunting with my dad and uncle but we never got anything. I have been shooting guns since I have been approx 9 years old. Very proficient with rifles and shotguns. My pistol work needs a little practice. I have been out of the whole gun/hunting thing for approx 17 years.

Problem is none of my friends are into hunting. Im out of the loop on where to go and all that jazz. I prob wouldnt go by myself either. Thats my problem in a nutshell.

I got my first hunting license when I was 13 years old. I am now 33. I renewed my license this year for the first time since I was 17. I used to go hunting with my dad and uncle but we never got anything. I have been shooting guns since I have been approx 9 years old. Very proficient with rifles and shotguns. My pistol work needs a little practice. I have been out of the whole gun/hunting thing for approx 17 years.

Problem is none of my friends are into hunting. Im out of the loop on where to go and all that jazz. I prob wouldnt go by myself either. Thats my problem in a nutshell.

Fair enough. I've gone bird hunting a couple times by myself this year, and also haven't gotten anything. Nothin wrong with heading out alone IMO. :icon_e_smile:

Guest megaman

Fair enough. I've gone bird hunting a couple times by myself this year, and also haven't gotten anything. Nothin wrong with heading out alone IMO. :icon_e_smile:

Bird hunting is fun. I got 9 birds over the last 2 weeks...

Grape Jelly and DND...LMAO. I've never thought about that. Are you hunting Game Wardens with that? I can see Bears going after that like crack, but I am wondering what a white tail would do.

I told you Vince, this NJ hunting is something I have to get adjusted to. I've got a lot of money and hours of scent preparedness hunting in VA / NY. Now I walk out with a Starbucks and some DND's. I wonder if I should try to fabricate a Munchkin Launcher to adjust for wind or changing conditions. Hmm, what caliber are they? They might be banned from being a projectile.

what about the rest of this week 12/2 12/3 doe seeason permit . i will be watching out the kitchen for any to come into range .as for next week iwould be real excited if the big one came over . we will see what happens . enjoy and be safe .As for the grape jelly i wonder if the deer like it or if you need to put it on bread for them . :icon_lol::icon_lol: Bob

Looks like I am going to miss opening day...I just got called in for a detail in Miami for a few days and am leaving tomorrow. So I am going from whitetail to cougar hunting in Miami. Could be worse.

Well I'll be at the Ding Dong Deli at 6am to see the warriors on Monday morning. Got a bear permit but don't plan on shooting any. Put two deer in the freezer with the bow so I'm looking for the "BIG" guy I know I have a very wide 4, 6 and 10 pt out there but haven't been able to catch up to them.

If I shoot a worthy deer I'll post pics as I hope others will do.

Good luck gentleman. And please be safe!!

FS

Guest megaman

I hear ya, Hey we aren't all going to have the same opinions on stuff. To each his or her own in my opinion.

As for the bear hunt I think it sucks that we have to kill wild animals because we have encroached on their habitat. We as humans really do mother nature a great disservice in general. We pollute the **** out of it, we spread like a disease and then kill off things that are in our way. Sad

You are 100% right on this. I could go into a whole diatribe about the harmony that was given to us, but we broke it..etc...

Guest megaman

Grape Jelly and DND...LMAO. I've never thought about that. Are you hunting Game Wardens with that? I can see Bears going after that like crack, but I am wondering what a white tail would do.

I told you Vince, this NJ hunting is something I have to get adjusted to. I've got a lot of money and hours of scent preparedness hunting in VA / NY. Now I walk out with a Starbucks and some DND's. I wonder if I should try to fabricate a Munchkin Launcher to adjust for wind or changing conditions. Hmm, what caliber are they? They might be banned from being a projectile.

haha, Scott, that had me laughing...I would think they would be a 70 caliber, roughly...I have to remove the powdered sugar from my barrel now...

Hunting in NJ is fun and quick, its like hunting at 7-11, you go into the woods, bang a few out, get them butchered, and stuff it in the freezer...we refer to it as speed beef...

In this state study guide (hunterexam.com) they are mentioning ethical and non-ethical hunters. What is considered ethical and what isn't ethical when hunting. This might be something new cause I'm new to this altogether, but just going through the study guide, has there always been non ethical hunters? Seems like the state is separating ethical and non ethical hunters, saying non ethical hunters give hunters everywhere a bad name.

In this state study guide (hunterexam.com) they are mentioning ethical and non-ethical hunters. What is considered ethical and what isn't ethical when hunting. This might be something new cause I'm new to this altogether, but just going through the study guide, has there always been non ethical hunters? Seems like the state is separating ethical and non ethical hunters, saying non ethical hunters give hunters everywhere a bad name.

All the states Fish and wildlife departments make the distinction, it's not just NJ. Ohio was the same way when I went through hunter ed years ago.

Ethical: In the right season, waiting for a good shot, you have clear sight lines, it's a certain kill to the lungs, you're weapon is in good condition, you plan on properly dressing and tagging the animal. on and on.

Unethical: The scene from Dances with wolves and the Buffalo. Or in NJ terms, just going out there so you can kill something and saw off it's horns. Poaching, trespassing, hunting out of season, shooting non game animals (ooh, a bobcat, lemme blow it away), shooting across a road or at a house or over a hill, setting fires to flush game, destroying habitat, leaving gut piles on hiking trails or parking lots, Strapping a deer to the hood of your car with guts dripping out of the sides. Not obey a CO or a landowner or waiting over bait. There's a million of them, most of 'em are done by douchebags and there's lots of douchebags that hunt in NJ.

So probably be good to go out with an ethical hunter the first time around and get taught the right way.

Yes that's helpful. Pay attention during hunter safety, most of it is spelled out pretty clearly.

If it feels like you're cheating or doing something wrong, you're probably being unethical. The idea is to leave a healthy habitat and have low impact on your environment, fellow hunters and citizens.

Stuff you would do during a survival situation for example are unethical normally. A punji pit. Or perhaps neckline snares. You hang snares from trees hoping to hook a deer. Snagging fish during spawn with large treble hooks. We have so much of an advantage over these creatures, we have to handicap ourselves so they aren't extincted.

What's wrong with treble hooks? They're used on lures all the time.

Casting them out with a big weight, dragging across spools of spawning fish, hooking them in the sides is unethical. Treble hooks in the mouth, perfectly fine.